Sober without god. An atheist / agnostic / humanist thread. Please be respectful!

I found a Smart meeting really close to me. The meeting is tonight. Any advice?

1 Like

My only advice is just go :woman_shrugging:
I have been to both SMART in the UK and AA in Australia and the main thing for me is getting around people who were going through the same struggles as I was.
The only way you can find out what works for you is by trying it :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Just go and be open. Nothing is perfect, but there will be something that helps.

1 Like

Go! I found a close one as well, not the best time of day, but I think I need to just do it.

1 Like

Since you haven’t gotten much response I’d like to say that the OG folks on this thread are pretty open minded, as long as there isn’t “god talk” being pushed here and there is more of a focus on supporting each other in a secular way, not a focus on ideas of a higher power and so on, you’re welcome. The big thing that brought us here is that much of the recovery world is centered on believing in a higher power, which can feel alienating to those of us who don’t hold those beliefs, whether that’s through an organized religion or not. Lots of people can negotiate their lack of faith in a god by identifying their higher power as the people in their meeting or even their “best self” but this doesn’t work for everyone. I guess I’ll speak for myself that this thread feels like a safe space for me to not read about “god’s plan” or other language that doesn’t fit for me. That being said, I also hold some ideas that might be called spiritual, based on my upbringing in Mexican catholic culture. It’s interesting to me to hold some cognitive dissonance in this way, to appreciate and even cherish this aspect of my culture but to not believe in it 100%. My belief is in people, the ability we have to help and support each other. So I would say you’re welcome here with the understanding of what this group is seeking. A place without the pressure to believe in higher power or have to hear language associated. I appreciate that you’ve been forthcoming and honest, thank you.

9 Likes

Thank you RosaCanDo,

I appreciate it so much you taking the time. I was honestpy so pleasantly surprised to start reading the thread and realize so much resonated with me. I relate well with the upbringing (Irish-Catholic), and yet…not connecting with organized religion for myself. I just like reading on here so much, and happened on thsi thread and the interesting thing is I never would have come across this in any other discussion.

I would not use God or religious language in this space; and I do not believe in pressing onto anyone any of my beliefs/lack of or even the way I am practicing and growing in my own self. It would make me uncomfortable to do and I am uncomfortable around others who do that. I do not myself believe in Gods plan, and do not care for that kind of language personally.

My husband is athiest, and we manage quite well even if we have some differing beliefs I think generally because we both do not care for organized religion and see the damages/hypocrisy (though I wont say that I do not see the community value for my family and would never deny anyone anything that helps them in life…to each their own) and both of us have a general understanding of “I dont know wtf is out there”. We have two children and all I asked of him is that I be able to discuss my views as openly with my daughter (of believing in “something” and my practices) as he is able to discuss that he does not believe and to openly discuss issues with organized religion. We tread carefully as our children are young, and we would like them to make up their own mind about things.

Anyway got off on a tangent there but I appreciate this thread and find a connection here for myself. Unexpected to be true, but I appreciate it so much. Xo

4 Likes

About to go to sleep but figured I’d check in on the app before closing my eyes.

I went to my first Smart meeting tonight. It was about a half hour drive from my house. It was a pretty small group tonight, ten of us, sitting around on a circle. There was a woman leading the meeting, and I mean it when I say this, out of my time in rehab and other meetings I’ve attended this was the most engaging and informative meeting I’ve ever attended. We all just had a genuine discussion and went over some things. We all introduced ourselves in the circle and talked about what our drug of choice was, and then we talked about what was going good and what we were struggling with. It’s usually a lot of the same people every week so everyone kinda knew everyone on a personal level. I feel like I spoke the longest haha telling my story and where my mind was at this point in time. The woman was so smart and she was so kind. We talked about a lot of real shit, self control, being nice to ourselves, went over some things in the hand book… I’m so tired as I type all of this so I’m kinda all over the place. But it was an amazing meeting and I felt like I was understood and really learned a lot of new information. I definitely plan to attend weekly and stay in touch with everybody. I hope you all are having a great night.

13 Likes

@KANJ98 Glad you were able to go and it was a great experience for you!
Have a nice night. :woman_in_lotus_position::crescent_moon:

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience and glad it was so good for you Kyle!

4 Likes

Thank you everyone.

really looking forward to this added protection for my sobriety. I’ve always been so stubborn about not asking for help or for handling with my emotions and cravings alone but sometimes we all need a little help and there’s nothing wrong with it at all. A healthy support group is needed.

5 Likes

This makes me SO HAPPY!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

9 Likes

Hope everybody’s fine, sober and clean. Love to you all. We’re in this together.

20 Likes

I just saw this in a book I’m reading. It’s a quote from Carl Sagan’s wife and I thought it was so beautiful I thought I’d share it :blush:

“When my husband died, because he was so famous and known for not being a believer, many people would come up to me and ask me if Carl changed at the end and converted to a belief in an afterlife. They also frequently ask me if I think I will see him again. Carl faced his death with unflagging courage and never sought refuge in illusions. The tragedy was that we knew we would never see each other again. I don’t ever expect to be reunited with Carl. But, the great thing is that when we were together, for nearly twenty years, we lived with a vivid appreciation of how brief and precious life is. We never trivialized the meaning of death by pretending it was anything other than a final parting. Every single moment that we were alive and we were together was miraculous-not miraculous in the sense of inexplicable or supernatural… The way he treated me and the way I treated him, the way we took care of each other and our family, while he lived. That is so much more important than the idea I will see him someday. I don’t think I’ll ever see Carl again. But I saw him. We saw each other. We found each other in the cosmos, and that was wonderful.”

20 Likes

What a staggeringly beautiful epitaph. I’m glad that he seems to be the man he portrayed on his show. Carl Sagan fascinated me as a child, and the sense of wonder he instilled in me then has endured in to adulthood.

Being sober (from alcohol) has lifted a heavy weight from my shoulders. Consider that i only have one life, why would I spend it anxious and depressed? Not full of wonder, but full of grim fervour and self pity. Sobriety has brought that wonder back into my life, I feel like a child again. Excited by the world, free of the past trials and viscitidudes of my adult life, innocent and care free and becoming content with my lot in life, if not happy.

Death is likely the end, and while that might depress some, it drives me to get all I can out of life; experiencing all manner of emotion, from happiness and love, to melancholy and loathing, undiluted by the emptiness caused by pervasive influence of alcohol.

7 Likes

Beautifully said @ShyBert :dart::100:

Wow that was incredibly powerful and beautiful, so sad at the same time too. Thanks for sharing that one :heart:

1 Like

6 Likes

“There’s only one country: Earth; One people: humanity; one religion: love.”
Mardjan Seighali, chairperson of the Dutch Humanist Union

11 Likes

11 Likes