Sober without god. An atheist / agnostic / humanist thread. Please be respectful!

Just for me it’s hard enough to keep up with this forum and as a moderator here my time needs to be here. But of course make decisions that work best for you.

4 Likes

Yeah I just figured with discord you can divide the discussion into various different rooms for different sub topics plus with its voice feature you could hold virtual meets for the people commenting about those. Sure if have to figure out the moderation thing but I’m sure i could figure it out

2 Likes

2 Likes

Not sure how accurate it can be for such a short graphic but looks close ish

2 Likes

It’s not a straight line like that. It’s more a many branched tree with many dead ends. But still a nice illustration. Also I wonder if there will be much evolution coming from and after homo sapiens or that we’ll turn out to be another one of these dead ends ourselves.

5 Likes

That’s a very good question

3 Likes

11 Likes

I always wondered whether it should be called naturalism?

3 Likes

Naturalism sounds nice. It does have another meaning already though. Like globalism. Or universalism. Careism? Loveism? We’reinthistogetherism?

I do like the term humanism, because it implies humans are actually capable of being nice to each other (and the rest of the world). As the same implication lies in the word humane. And also that we have to know that our humanity (there it is again) lies within ourselves, that it is innate and in our nature. Which I do believe it is.

It’s just that today’s societies are way too complicated and over our heads, and made us lose contact with the earth, with nature, with each other, with ourselves. And it’s up to us to reconnect to those things or we’re doomed. Which we might be anyway but for my own peace of mind and soul I’ll try and work on making those connections. Of which being sober and clean is part also. A big part for all of us here.

10 Likes

You talking about all the isms and differences reminds me of this site that has information on that and every other rational topic ever conceived and them some.

5 Likes

@Rockstar24777 this pic just made me and my partner laugh out loud, lying in bed! It is also the reason I’ve posted for the first time on this thread.

4 Likes

9 Likes

Bokonon being the main character in Kurt Vonnegut’s novel Cat’s Cradle.

12 Likes

Love that last bit

1 Like

428709788_951055226385330_4350717071897044695_n

9 Likes

He died on this day in 2007. Time flies. Be kind. Love.

18 Likes

Love him so much. Thanks for sharing this.

3 Likes

Been a while since I’ve posted here. It’s like, as we say in France, walking on eggs :sweat_smile:

Ricky Gervais :raised_hands:t2:

11 Likes

Shall I add more Ricky Gervais?
Yes?
Cool :metal:t2:

Great punchlines in this one, clever man

8 Likes

I listened to a podcast the other day with him as a guest and he’s so interesting, a lot of people find him controversial but he’s very smart and he’s very good at pushing buttons. I loved his show After Life.

7 Likes