Sober without god. An atheist / agnostic / humanist thread. Please be respectful!

Yes! He’s quite a genius at what he does I think. It’s really as smart as it is funny, and not mean or too cynical.
After life was very good I agree. I rewatched The Office recently and it’s as good as it’s ever been :blue_heart:

Edit: well, he can go pretty hard on stars and famous people

5 Likes

Terry Pratchett would have been 76 today. Gone too soon but thankful for all he gave us.

12 Likes

I love him. We are listening to Guards! Guards! On audiobook right now. He was the best.

4 Likes

13 Likes

Hiya , I have the BBC dramatisation with 6 of Sir Terrys works, its currently a freebie on Audible in th UK.
Mort
Guards Guards
Wyrd sisters
Sorry I cant remember the rest at this present time.
He was a very clever man, i know Neil Gaiman thought extremely highly of him.
Just thought Id share that with you, hopefully you can get it in your country.
:+1:

3 Likes

Hey Col, thanks. I got a few on audible, the audiobooks are so well done, and all of his books (I think) on an app called Kobo Books to read. Currently reading A Hat Full of Sky, new to me. Someday I’ll get through them all! I’m a slow reader these days compared to when I was young and could get through a book a day. I do love his stuff and his philosophy.

4 Likes

Well hello there, it’s been a while!

I’m still sober - 361 days today, and still agnostic, From the irregular GA visits I’ve come to the conclusion that the whole GA conception is fear-based, fear of betraying the higher power and fear of God, whoever that is. I’ve chosen a love-based technique - love for myself, family, friends, better life. It worked great for me. In this local GA group, they’re not even referencing the so called higher power, but God most of the times, claiming they don’t have anything to do with religious beliefs, but demonstrating exactly the oposite - I just can’t cope with this. It makes me feel unwanted at the meetings, so I don’t visit often. I am doing well and I’ve started therapy recently, just to stay on track.

12 Likes

Great to see you checking in Sophia! Congrats on choosing your own path. We all need to find our own way and pour own method of recovery. It makes me glad to see you finding yours. Therapy has been a big part of my recovery too. Talking Sober my peer support group.

Although lately I’ve been thinking about trying (Buddhist) Dharma Recovery. Even though until now I’ve shied away from that. The teachings aren’t religious but I’m still… not sure about the right word… frightened maybe, because there’s quite a lot of dogma and strictness and following rules and teachers and leaders in it. Reminds me both of my dad’s communist heritage and my mum’s Mennonite one. Both way too dogmatic and strict for my liking. I’ll find my own way. Not easy but best for me. Still, a face to face peer support community would be nice.

7 Likes

Hey @Mno,

It won’t hurt if you try it out and see if this is your thing. Fingers crossed for you! I definitely support all religious and non-religious ways in recovery, as long as they’re helping someone overcome addiction.

I can definitely relate to your need of face to face peer support and you might say that I’m lacking one as well. It can be quite frustrating sometimes, especially when I have an impulse to gamble (which I still do, although rarely).

5 Likes

I’m clean and sober since 1984, just over 40 years. In early sobriety, I had plenty of god issues and was told by a mentor to stop wasting energy on that question and just stay focused on my main goal of being a non using person.

So by concentrating on being honest and open, I was able to quit the debate team and not get off track with a side issue. I’ve lived urge free and at peace with myself, my family and friends and others for over 30 of my 40 sober years. It is wonderful to have settled the drink/drug issue and know I cab live the rest of my life sober.

6 Likes

Maybe try some readings first, if you haven’t already, see how they feel. You don’t need to follow any teacher. Is it the fellowship you are looking for? Or are you interested in the teachings? Or maybe both? Idk about the recovery aspect or program, but I don’t find a strictness nor a dogma in my Buddhist readings. And I agree, ‘strict’ anything doesn’t fit/sit well with me either.

Edited to add…it sounds like the fellowship is leading you toward Dharma Recovery. Idk if you have to take their teachings strictly.

6 Likes

In my opinion you don’t. There isnt an “end game”. We are simply what we are. For me, having been in another recovery program…one which you “better follow the steps or else”…this one doesnt have that feel.

6 Likes

That was my impression as well. Our closest Recovery Dharma is 90 minutes of hairy driving away…the pitfall of rural life.

3 Likes

That is to bad, i think you would really dig it.

2 Likes

I will say this, most of the books I have read dont have “god” in them. The one I am reading now, mentions “kingdom of heaven” in it. From the author’s point of view, I get it. The message is still valid, just not what i was use to.

2 Likes

It’s both and it’s neither Sassy. I read quite some Buddhist leaning literature so to speak, ‘easy’ reading ones aimed at a western uninitiated audience. The basic idea of Buddhism as I understand it has always been appealing to me. I have recently started reading the Dharma Recovery book as well, but as soon as I’m confronted with four noble truths and an eight folded path I get very uncomfortable. And tend to close myself of from this way of explaining life. Exactly why that is, is a good question worth pursuing.

And I am looking for fellowship yes. But I recently learned that it’s better to do just stuff I like, and put that first, and fellowship will follow from that. Like the creative writing class I did recently, which I enrolled in because I thought writing fun. But also got me a big amount of very nice unexpected social interaction and fellowship.

edit: I didn’t go to the meeting tonight, this time the incessant rain my excuse. It’s a 30 minute bike ride for me. Not as bad as your 90 minute hairy riding though. I’ll make it. You take care.

7 Likes

I agree with this philosophy. Trying / striving to make Buddhism fit for you, sounds like the opposite of 1) Buddhism; and 2) what you seek (a natural progression to community friendships).

3 Likes

Love the kitty. That is basically me on the Saluda Grade dodging semi tractor trailers and out of town drivers and possible vehicle fires :fire: and breakdowns!

3 Likes

Ive been on here for just under a month now,this is by far best thread ive seen up to now,very interesting stuff :+1:

6 Likes

:v:t2::heart::metal:t2:

10 Likes