Sobriety date

Do you consider your birthday the last day you drank or used or the following day? I personally use the following day when I’m finally at 0.00 and then go though my detox cycle which is hell. But I make it but it gets worse and worse. But this time this is it. My new sobriety date 11/25/18. So Yea sorry I went off topic a little but ok so what about you? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I set my timer to the morning after my last drink. It’s a new day. My new date is 2018-11-26. Almost twinsies. LOL

3 Likes

My sobriety date is the day that I chose to get clean, which is 11-21-18. My last drink was taken at 4a that morning and I went to my first AA meeting that night. This date is cool to me because it’s my mom’s birthday, who passed away in 1999.

2 Likes

That’s funny because that was the question I asked in my very first thread here. I got this app because I was coming up on 90 days and didn’t know exactly when to start my timer. So I downloaded SoberTime and discovered this wonderful forum.

Ultimately I decided To use the day after my last drink. My last drink was March 5, 2017 at 11 am. The following day I went to my first AA meeting at 5pm. So that’s the time I started my timer.
March 6, 2017 at 5pm:)

3 Likes

Went to bed (ok, passed out) around 2 am on 11/28/18…woke up at 8 am on 11/29/18 and reset for the last time…100% committed, never going back!

3 Likes

The following day: my first complete sober day :grin:

2 Likes

11/26/2018 for me as well

I think this is a personal decision. So there’s no right/wrong answer. I chose my date/time of when I went to bed on the day of my last drink. Which is also when I decided to quit.

I guess one could argue that being clean is when your body is no longer under active influence, which takes around 72 hours after your last drink, but when you decide to stop digging, and put the shovel down is the most significant date, to me.

1 Like

I don’t think there is a rule or right answer here. In fact, I asked the same question here early on.

For me, my sobriety date is the day of my last drink. It’s the night that I admitted to myself and to my husband that I was an alcoholic, and I asked for help. I will never forget that night, nor it’s meaning. It is the night my life changed.

5 Likes

Same. The date of my last drink :heart:

1 Like

The day I checked in to my third rehab, 11/2/2017. I did my last shot that day. My last drink was 2 days before that. And there was some crack in there at some point.

8am the next day- the day I’m feeling down and depressed

My last drink was the evening of 12 Oct. I set my timer for 12.01am on 13 Oct, so the very start of my first calendar day without drinking. I could have gone for the night of 12 Oct but for some reason I am drawn to the 24 hour calendar day as my measure of time.

I like reading about everyone’s approach and the slight variations and why they have decided what they did. It’s cool to see different interpretations :two_hearts:

The day of my last drink. Like @MoCatt and @Lionfish

2 Likes

Day of my last drink so that would be 12/12/18
Ugh

1 Like

Better than 12/14/2018!

1 Like

Oh wait yesterday was the 13th??? Ooops 12/13/18 oh well I’m alive and sober today!

1 Like

Ha! Nope! Today is the 13th. I’m a day off!

1 Like

I set my sobriety date to the date of my first meeting.

Did it push me into a new month and did i lose some days… sure. I know when my last drunk was but I cannot tell you when my last drink was – i was too fucking foggy to remember the one drink i feel I had in there to see if the magic was gone (it was). Having detoxed on my own – who knows it could have been a dream. But for me, those extra days don’t matter.

For me, without having washed up on the steps of that church, I would not have a shot at being sober. Alcohol was a symptom of a much greater problem that I (and everyone around me) was completely oblivious to. Maybe I could have abstained for significant periods of time – but I would not have been able to start to change mentally and spiritually-- which sobriety, for me, requires.

It also reminds me of the miracle of how I made it to my first meeting and the fact that someone or something out there is looking out for me.

2 Likes

Its whatever date works best for you. The last time I banged heroin was 9/24/18. For me personally my 1st day began on 9/25/18. Sober, I got today and my clock will start over tomorrow etc. So to really answer you I have 2 dates…o