Sobriety without AA

So I know the traditional way of sobriety is doing the 12 step programs. However; is there anyone who got sober with that program or felt as if that particular program didn’t work for them and still got sober?

3 Likes

There are many, many other programs, including (to give only two examples) SMART Recovery and Dharma Recovery, both of which take a very different approach, and both of which are effective when people work it.

If you want to read the experiences of one of our members in Dharma they’re here:

My new journey in Recovery Dharma

And there’s a list of 10 or 20 different recovery programs here:

Resources for our recovery

There’s always an option. :innocent:

3 Likes

I believe there are, I just don’t happen to know any of them. Explore what works for you but I can’t stay sober without AA.

3 Likes

AA always made fell like I was an outsider. I did get a sponsor. I did work all the steps. I can’t say I felt different. Therapy and iop helped the most I believe. I’m coming up on 3 years without a drink. It’s a daily process.
Edit: I will add, I learned a lot in AA. It just wasn’t for me.

5 Likes

Love that response brother. I’ll be cautious with what I say so I won’t offend anyone. But from my understanding of the AA program; the basis of it is to believe in a power greater than yourself which; I’m a Christian so I’m okay with that. But I’m kinda skeptical about the fact that sobriety is only achieved by going through those particular 12 steps. Honestly, me first recognizing that I had a problem and secondly being around a community of recovering addicts has been instrumental for me!

3 Likes

What’s IOP?

1 Like

Everyone’s different. Our paths are different. Our communality is that we are addicts looking to achieve sobriety. Keep going Kate! :fire:

1 Like

Intensive Outpatient. I think.

2 Likes

No one said it’s only achieved that way. Although I found it to be pretty straightforward and simple for me, don’t get me wrong it took hard work, but once I started doing the steps I really haven’t struggled with booze or drugs,

Interestingly enough the things you described are actually pretty big parts of AA. Admitting there’s a problem and being around community.

SMART is good alternative though. And the Buddhist stuff sounds pretty cool too

5 Likes

Intensive Out Patient. I went to groups and individual counseling for 6 months.

1 Like

AA have Some pretty legit points. The points that I made were learned while attending some classes. Just being optimistic. AA has helped a ton of people; I’m sure it works for certain people.

It depends on a person. If you go once, start sharing and feel better after, then you should continue. You will meet a lot of great people and make some friends. You don’t have to talk if you don’t want to. As 12 steps goes it’s more a rehab thing or something you can work on with your sponsor which you can also pick on AA meeting, so whatever works for you. The thing with AA is you won’t get any feedback, that’s something you will get at psychotherapy which is also a great option

1 Like

I actually attend AA almost nightly. I just haven’t done the steps. Not exactly sure if that’s for me. The community of recovering addicts along with my wife’s support has been so beneficial for me.

1 Like

Great then! If whatever you do works so far then keep it going. How long you’ve been sober?

Situational,

AA has helped millions of people some feel right at home In their home group. I think it’s one of many possible outlets to help you gain support in your sobriety.

Personally I couldn’t get into AA, I met some great people there, but not my cup of tea.

AA says The only requirement for membership is for the desire to stop drinking,

And to be honest you have to want to be sober to even make any progress. I’ll explain

Years ago I had gotten a DUI, I had to go to substance abuse counseling and a Substance abuse assessment which I lied my way through why? Cause I just insisted I didn’t have a problem, and I could stop whenever I wanted, I just ran into a bad situation one night and it won’t happen again

On my way home I stopped by the booze store, go home get lit

Afterwards did I drive drunk again, sure did, did I drink excessively yup, even started digging into the drug game again.

I had to make the conscious decision to get sober on my own, and put the work in, AA or not, I was done and I have been ever since

2 Likes

Sweet. That’s a hella testimony brother. Truthfully; stories like this is what inspired and reassure me that recovery is possible. Keep going Fury!

1 Like

Quite the contrary. In the opening of the big book itself it even says, “Upon therapy for the alcoholic himself, we surely have no monopoly.”

I still work AA mostly cuz it’s super accessible and I had good luck finding some good groups here. But I’ve done a little of a few others too.

Plenty of recovery out there if we look! And the more the merrier.

@Matt posted a good thread up top linking some others.

3 Likes

AA works for me.

It’s the tidbits, stories, cliches, and the overall layout of the steps for me. Most of the stuff in AA that helps me the most is the way to be an overall more thoughtful, sympathetic, and grateful person. It didn’t get me sober, but it keeps me sober if that makes sense?

I really just needed something and really needed help from others. I also have done some SMART and another secular “non label” group. I can get stuff from them all.

I don’t push AA on anyone. I think if you have the desire to stop and take it seriously you can find many ways to recover. I think the most important thing is finding help. I would say a small percent have success in recovery if they try to do it alone. You can’t expect any magic arrow to to solve a very complex problem so be prepared to invest time into your recovery.

Good luck! We’re all routing for you! :pray:

4 Likes

The 12 steps is A way to get sober, not THE way.

There’s a few people around here that got sober without AA, myself included.

I think there’s value (a lot) in 12 step programs or similar, as opposed to just sobriety, as those programs focus on recovery. Anyone can be sober, just don’t drink, but recovery is where healing and growth lives, and that requires work. That work’s curriculum outlined, in the various programs.

You can be like me and make it up as you go. Am I recovering? I think so, but I don’t really have any metrics other than days sober and happiness of myself and my family. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Literally no one claims that but ppl bashing AA or wanting to seem extraordinary. I’m getting annoyed with it. There are many ways. AA does not claim to be the only way.
For a long time though, historically, when and after it was founded, it was the only support for alkies when they regularly ended up in the loony bins or jail. So. That’s that.

Both these things are absolutely central in AA aswell.

There are also numerous threads here about this. Lots of ppl here have not done the steps or used AA. Myself included, so. Never made me think I was better or stronger than anyone and I have learned a lot from ppl who’ve done the steps.

1 Like