Special occasion drink yes or no?

Today is my wife’s birthday and I’m taking her to dinner. Would I be considered a loser to give in and have one drink with her? I haven’t had a drink in 6 days and I’d hate for someone to say if I have one drink I gave in and I gave up. If I have that one drink with my wife should I reset my stats??

1 Like

23 Likes

It’s your choice. I haven’t had a drink for 290 days I know where alcohol takes me it’s a progressive disease it starts with one and soon becomes 9 and I’m back to a worse rock bottom it’s a no for me I need a programme of recovery and sobriety I do AA it’s very fulfilling do what you want at the end of the day it’s your own choice but for me it’s a very firm no I’ll have a coke or sprite instead, and the end of the day is alcohol really going to make anything better? My experience says not.

8 Likes

I dont get like that lol. So I take that as a no dont have a drink

Are you working on sobriety or just cutting down on drinking? If you are working on being sober, why drink? There is ALWAYS a special occasion looming…birthday, anniversary, holiday, raise at work, achieving a goal, dinner with friends, etc etc.

Obviously it is up to you how you proceed, but for me, I don’t look at alcohol as a treat to celebrate with…I remind myself of why I stopped drinking in the first place…hangovers, regrets, drunken fights, lost dignity, anxiety, dark thoughts, etc. That is not how I want to live my life anymore.

The real treat is showing your wife with your actions how serious you are about sobriety…or at least it is for me and my husband.

YMMV of course. :heart:

25 Likes

Up to you whether you choose to drink or not, but I’d be resetting with even one intentional sip. It’s a counter for not drinking (or whatever your drug of choice is), so my opinion is to reset if you have one drink

9 Likes

These are actually helping me to pick a place that does not serve alcohol. I know she may want to have a drink but it will be easier to say no let’s go here instead

13 Likes

Don’t bother reseting if you think your life so pointless that after 6 days a drink is the answer to all of life’s fun why reset, your only gonna reset it on your birthday or someone else’s birthday. Everyday is someone’s birthday so just drink and don’t reset. Yeah I bet you agree this sounds a really sensible thing to do. If you don’t agree then well done. When you wake up on day 7 sober that will be the time for celebrations, Well done on 6 days, don’t let your mind fool you. You don’t drink anymore its not what you do.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t do it.

1 Like

I buy my Mrs bottles of wine. Her choices are not my choices. If she jumped in front of a bus this is not my choice. I’m not denying my mind isn’t slightly jealous but us addicts have to make choices and we have to stick to them. Even now as I write this my alcoholic brain is saying you are going to look a complete dick now if you drink again, it’s hard mate it really is but we just can’t have one.

3 Likes

yes me too conor but you know how that ego fucks with your head in the early days, actually most days for me :joy: :joy: :joy:

I used to drink beer, around 8 cans a day. I wasnt posting as a stupid question. I was posting more for advise and I got a lot of good advice to help me decide where to take my wife

5 Likes

Perhaps he is early in sobriety? We all learn and grow at our own pace. I certainly asked similar questions of myself early in my journey.

I can understand how it would make you wonder, but in all likelihood, at 6 days, he is probably just exploring what not drinking is like. And at least he is asking the question and learning from the responses…a win in my book.

I know you meant no harm in your comment and I mean only support for you both in my response. This app is open to all who are on their journey to change their relationship with alcohol. :heart:

12 Likes

The first 6 months of sobriety I flipped off alcohol any time I seen it :rofl: all drinking associates GONE, party invites- no thanks. Sobriety is so valuable to me I wouldn’t sell it for a million dollars.

7 Likes

Lol, that’s funny!

It happens!! We are all human and humans get pissed sometimes. No worries. We all need a little reminder sometimes to approach with love, not condemnation. I know I have been sensitive lately myself, so I can relate. :heart:

Edited to add… @Jane.c said it much better than me…listen to her! :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

If your looking for justification to drink I won’t give it. If you quit drinking because your an alcoholic then you can’t drink. This time it’s for a birthday next time it will be because the Bears won the Super Bowl (bad example). If you do drink you must reset. If you don’t then the keeping track of the days means nothing.

Our brains try and trick us in to drinking and that its OK just this once. I’ve told myself I would just drink on the weekends, and then it was just when I was out and not at home, then it was just at parties or while on vacation. All of which ended up with a case of beer in the fridge and me drinking every day.

I’ve been there and am just being honest with you.

9 Likes

I’m right with you Frank; I always think of it as your body gets that first sip and there’s no middle ground, lol. (like your superbowl reference, lol)

I do know that, but didn’t realize you were from the UK. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Lord! I am not doing good hitting the nail today!! :rofl::rofl:

1 Like