Starting a Book Club via Forum

So I went to download the first 40 pages and I can’t get the file to open. I’m cursed I tell ya.

Hmmm. I was able to download it. 40 pages is deceiving. It get you thru chapter one, with a bunch of FWD stuff beforehand tho. When I got book, I started on chapter 2…after the download.

I’m fixing my bike tonight so I will be able to ride to a bookstore once it stops snowing.

1 Like

I would be interested! I’ve never been in a book club but I’ve heard great things about that book and it might actually motivate me to read it if I have a group to report to :grin:

1 Like

Hey y’all. Keep reading! Starting chapter 14 here. Looking fwd to our “get together” on 4/02.

1 Like

Keep reading. I just finished chapter 16.

I bought the book on my kindle, can’t wait to start reading tomorrow :grinning:

1 Like

So I was cleaning up around the house where I am staying and wouldn’t you know it, there’s a beat up copy of this naked mind laying there.

5 Likes

I would like to join. I’ll buy the book tonight!

1 Like

I would love to be apart of this! I just ordered the book Heart Berries. It seems like a relevant book

1 Like

Oooookaaaay… So, I’m reading This Naked Mind. Some of it is extremely interesting. But, as a biologist, I am having some serious issues. I will keep reading, even though my husband is going to get tired of my exasperated outbursts.

Please, everyone: every living thing on this planet is capable of homeostasis. In fact, it is one of the defining characteristics of life. Humans are not amazing or unique in this regard. Even bacteria attain homeostasis, with regard to certain aspects of the environment.

There. I’ve vented. I will finish the book in silence and will not say another word until 4/2. I promise.

7 Likes

Ninetales you made me giggle😂 I like s good vent xx

5 Likes

@Ninetales Thank you! I’m not a biologist, but had some serious issues with the way Grace presented some of the “facts.” I come from a family of educators and scientists so I had real trouble with some of the claims she put forth. I read the entire book and found it interesting but not mind blowing. (My family got annoyed with my mutterings while reading too.) I’d love to join the book club, but will we be allowed to honestly address flaws or criticize the book, @SweetTea? I don’t want be adversarial or trigger anyone, but I would like to be able to be myself. Thoughts?

4 Likes

Feel free to join the discussion. You can share whatever you want. Differing viewpoints will only improve the discussion imo.

2 Likes

@SweetTea Thanks! I try to be nonconfrontational and frankly timid, but I’m trying to find my voice. However, if my voice is hurting others’ sobriety, then I need to reexamine my voice.

1 Like

Hey everyone. If you have a book suggestion for next month, pls private message the name of it to me. I’ll tally suggestions, and we’ll vote between the top two suggested. Pls message suggestions by Tuesday, March 27th. Thx!

2 Likes

My suggestion for the next book is Her Best Kept Secret by Gabrielle Glaser. I’m reading it now. Fascinating!!

2 Likes

I started a new thread about April 2018 book club. FYI

Looking fwd to discussion of “This Naked Mind” on Monday, April 2nd.

1 Like

Hi @SweetTea. I love the idea of having a book Club here. Would love to join in although I’m struggling a little with English language especially explaining myself but still I’d love to participate on the discussion…

2 Likes

Sounds good to me. Don’t worry about your English.