Starting over again... Tired of drinking

I relapsed again on Friday. Didn’t drink yesterday or today. I’m really tired of this addiction and am disappointed :disappointed: and down.

15 Likes

Relapse is easy. Trying to figure out what drive your relapse is tough. Sometimes it’s boredom, sometimes it’s the pure want of alcohol . It could even be the desire to drown some memories. I’ve been sober with many relapses before. I drank alone and with people. Getting to the root of the problem of alcohol getaways is the main idea. What made you WANT the next drink. Figure that out and your off to a fresh start towards long term sobriety. helping you avoid alcohol is a team effort. Find good friends, tell family , the ones who can help you make good choices. The hopes is, the periods of sobriety become longer than the periods of relapse

8 Likes

What are you willing to do to stay sober? Not drinking is hard, caving in during early days is a constant temptation. What steps are you going to take?

2 Likes

Truth
“Relapse is easy. Trying to figure out what drive your relapse is tough”

3 Likes

I had to embrace my alcoholic brain. Didn’t hate it, did it long enough to know I am simply that, and me drinking ever again won’t ever be a good idea.
And, was so glad when they told me that I didn’t have to drink anymore. Fucking sweet relief!
When we’re done, we’re done. Stick around please.

4 Likes

First of all “tired of drinking”- keep focus on that. Drinking does not bring joy and the after effects like hangovers, weight gain, lost relationships, anxiety of what you did/said while drinking, health issues etc are so overwhelming. Try to remember these when you want a drink.
If you are truly tired of drinking, stay active here, go to aa, get hobbies, change lifestyle ( stay away from instances where you will be tempted- especially in the beginning).
This will in no way be easy or comfortable but the rewards from sobriety are so fantastic and worthwhile!
Find what works for you and stick with it. This battle is one day at a time- set small goals and reward yourself with a nice meal, or gift…)
You are already 2 days sober! Congratulations!

2 Likes

Maybe try a meeting or other program get a new mind set ,we have no defence against the first drink thats why a program of change is needed Mind Spirit and Body get these three in order and it makes staying sober easier wish you well

4 Likes

It is hard to find out why we relapse

Thanks everyone. Today is day 3 (when I usually relapse), but like others mentioned, I am changing my mindset. Didn’t sleep :zzz: much last night but am not hungover and feel pretty good. I am reading Refuge Recovery by Noah Levine (I did my Minor in university on Buddhism), so I trust that the cravings will pass, one minute at a time. They are not too intense, only a weird uncomfortable anxiety. Have a great Monday everyone :slightly_smiling_face::pray::muscle:

6 Likes

@Law1 Sadly alcoholism is an addiction that is near impossible to overcome on our own :frowning: Relapse usually happens when we aren’t aware of our triggers (or choose to ignore the warning signs) and don’t reach out for outside help or learn how to cope with our triggers and emotions in a healthy way.

@Alice13 I was just replying and saw your update. Great to hear you aren’t feeling too awful and that you’re finding something that helps you. And 100%, nothing changes if nothing changes :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Yes I agree, thank you for your advice

1 Like

What have you been doing to stay sober?. Something isnt working. So what are you willing to change?

1 Like

As much as I need to

Stay strong stay positive and keep pushing forward 1 day at a time get out go for a run or a walk plenty of water training is my escape everyone is different tho bit whatever you gotta do to stY soba just do it :pray::raised_hands:

1 Like

Thank you, I do alot of cardio training so hopefully that will focus me again :muscle:

1 Like

I am on day 4 and am dying for a drink. It always hits me around this time. I know boredom is a trigger yet I have a lot of things to do for work. But somehow my alcoholic brain thinks I am more creative and productive after a few beers… but I know this thinking will get me drunk. Ohhhh I’m fighting :pray::muscle:

4 Likes

Day 4!!! Sweetness- i know its rough and believe me your addict brain will spin all sorts of tales - do not listen or give in. Keep fighting the gold fight. You are stronger than you think. :muscle:

2 Likes

It’s truly interesting the myth that alcohol makes you more creative. That myth has been out there for decades. Even Bill W mentions his falling pray to this myth in his story in the Big Book. Alcohol does nothing but toxify or bodies, brain and spirit.

5 Likes

Stay strong :muscle:

I’ve read on this thread a few times “find out why you relapsed… Its tough knowing why… Etc”… Let me help you here, YOUR AN ALCOHOLIC, and if your like me you don’t need a reason to drink just an excuse to justify it.
Once we can fully concede to the fact that we are an alcoholic and that there is absolutely nothing a matter with us apart from this illness we can ask ourselves what are we going to do about it. I’ve never met a person who hoped or wished themselves sober, at some point they took action. What are you prepared to do for your sobriety?.. ANYTHING!!!, I hear you shout, then what does that anything look like?
Eventually we all got sick and tired of being sick and tired, it was a good place to start, then comes doing everything within OUR power to get sober. But what happens when OUR power isn’t enough, it rarely is, at this point we need a power greater than ourself, a wisdom, experience, knowledge, perspective, attitude or action that we are not aware of. You will find all these in other long term recovering alcoholics, you won’t do this alone and the great news is you don’t have to so get to some meetings, programs, communities like this and others, get HONEST, get accountable, get ready to take action to do what they do.
Recovery doesn’t have to be hard, often painful but never hard, today we just simply won’t pick up that first drink. Tommorow we can do whatever we want but just for today I’m not going to drink if I think I’m going to I will reach out and tell another alcoholic and ask for help, if I don’t want a drink today I will find someone who does and help them instead. I wish you well on your journey :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes