Starting over... relapsed again

I am almost to day 2 this evening according to the tracker. I am still trying to stay strong. Scared because it’s payday and the weekend. That’s usually when I give in :sob:

3 Likes

I’m not drinking this weekend.i want to try and see if I can do it.i pray it gets better for you.:pray::muscle:

2 Likes

Same just restarted my sober journey yesterday :slight_smile: we got this!

3 Likes

I’m going to be strong. I start a new job Monday and I can’t lose another job because of alcohol. Praying for us all :pray:

6 Likes

@Paul697 Ginger tea helped me with liver discomfort.

3 Likes

Crashing your thread to offer some suggestions…because I can relate 100%. I was stuck in the relapse repeat offender pattern for ages. Years! Not offering advice (because it always turned me off when people told me what I had to do) but I can share what helped me.

• I woke up and made a commitment every morning to lay my head down to sleep that night sober. I came on here to the checking in thread
    Checking in daily to maintain focus #27
  • I made my intention “public” on that thread, shared with the community to hold myself accountable. I spent hours and hours on here, reading, writing my thoughts, and just trying to get out of my own head. You can do in on paper, too, if you don’t want to do it here.
  • I did whatever it took to not pick up - dump all the booze in the house, give my husband the car keys and wallet, sleep all day, change my driving routes so I didn’t drive by the shops I would normally stop in, call someone on my way home, buy replacements for the booze, especially sparkling water, Diet Coke, juice, and tea.
  • I distracted myself as much as possible. Listened to sober podcasts or my favorite true crime shows, watched mindless TV, kept my hands busy knitting or coloring.
  • I walked a lot. I have a treadmill, which I know is a benefit some don’t have, but I also walked outside even in the winter time.

You CAN do this. It helps if you can try to set yourself up to stay sober by doing a little pre-planning and being deliberate about your activities so you aren’t left to your own devices…the addict brain will try to talk you into drinking/using consistently, so have a plan to counteract it. Hang in there, and stay strong.

19 Likes

Excellent advice and guidance here. Much wisdom. I’ve been there and now have 18 months behind me.

One thing. If you feel like crying…cry.

All the best and stay strong

7 Likes

@RosaCanDo Awesome advice. Thank you so much for sharing. I enjoy walking on the beach and have been too drunk to do so. Now that I am sober I can start back. Thank you :pray:

6 Likes

How is everyone doing? I’m hanging in there :pray:

2 Likes

Still going. Entering the hardest time but feeling strong

2 Likes

@Paul697 how is your liver pain

@RosaCanDo . . . excellent advice. I have read suggestions for podcasts on the forum, but which ones do you like?

I’ve only really listened to the This Naked Mind podcast and it’s pretty good. I tend to listen to other types of podcasts. My favorites are Brené Brown’s two Spotify podcasts, Unlocking Us and Dare to Lead. There’s a lot of great stuff and guests on lots of topics, and has given me some good perspectives. Some is kinda self-help oriented, some more about societal issues. I also like a lot of NPR podcasts, like Life Kit, Hidden Brain, and Snap Judgment, just to name a few. I occasionally listen to Marc Maron and Dax Shepard’s podcasts, both of them are clean and sober and sometimes discuss it.

There’s lots out there!

3 Likes

My liver is feeling better. Just a slight ache to remind me how dumb I was last night.
Tonight though. Wife and kids went to bed. This is the hardest moment. Yet I’m feeling strong.
I know it’s just 1 day but it’s my day and I’m taking it.

5 Likes

How are you doing @Lisa26?
It’s officially weekend but I hope you’re staying strong.

2 Likes

@Paul697 Glad to hear you are staying strong and feeling better! It was rough earlier. Haven’t been sober on a Friday in a long time. But I made it through :pray: I don’t want to go through this all over again.

4 Likes

Same here @Lisa26
Next up is Saturday. We got this!

3 Likes

@Paul697 Yes :muscle: I will try to be productive for sure.

2 Likes

I’m right there with you. I relapsed last night and I’m new to the community as well.

6 Likes

How you doing?

2 Likes