Starting to thing I can become a casual drinker?

From alcoholic to a casual drinker is a fairy tale. Tested :unicorn:

5 Likes

I thought the same but it’s just not possible (for me) I always stop after 4 drinks max but still want every day. That’s what catches me… :sleepy:

1 Like

After being on here for less than a day I can say that it’s a common trap for us to think that we can become “casual” drinkers. We came here because we need help. I relapsed yesterday after 3 months clean and this was because I thought I could have “a couple” of pints.

I had 14.

2 Likes

So let’s play the tape forward. You drive trucks, and you are sober. You don’t necessarily like your career, but you have a young family to provide for.

So you go back to drinking. Maybe you can stop at one or two for a time, but without you noticing 2 turns to 4. Then you get a DUI. Career gone. Stress on the family. Etc. Or worse, after a particularly heavy night of drinking, you wake up feeling like crap. But you’ve got to drive. Whilst going about your day, you wreck. Maybe not your fault, maybe it is. Accident investigators determine while not drunk at the time you still have alcohol in your system and list it as a “contributing factor”. Say the person in the other vehicle dies. Now you have to live with this.

Is it worth the gamble? I won’t gamble because I’m not willing to lose. I don’t consider the odds of something happening. I consider the stakes I would lose, and I’m not willing to chance it.

Stay sober. It’s the sure bet.

13 Likes

Theres nothing casual about my drinking. Never was. Never will be. Its sad to think that on occasions where I only have one glass that I give myself SO MUCH credit. It always leads me back to square one. I hate square one.

2 Likes

The fact that you think you can now casually drink is where the problem lies.The fact that you couldn’t casually drink to begin with is also the problem. You have a problem with alcohol. We will never be able to casually drink it doesn’t work like that. Is losing your kids and your wife really worth it? Alcohol outweighs all the positives you have in your life? I don’t drink because I don’t want to die. Find your reason and remind yourself the why every single day.

1 Like

People who drink normally don’t ever have an internal conversation about whether they can drink normally or casually. That’s a fact, Jack!

5 Likes