Starting today, again

So here I am again. Even tho last time was my last time. Woke up this morning and have decided enough is enough. I’m a heroin and crack addict from Chicago. The drugs once again took everything I care about and worked so hard to get. I am going to be on methadone which I no most say isn’t clean but I only plan on using it for maybe a week, 10 days at most just to get past the withdrawals n then I’ll be done bc I don’t wanna start a new addiction to the methadone. I like this idea and seen this app from a friend in sobriety. Thought I’d give it a try. Any tips to make this easier I’d greatly appreciate. Thank you in advance for the advice.

8 Likes

Welcome to the community Alex,

If you need methadone to keep you from using then you should use it for as long as you need it until you can manage without it. Dont put a time limit on how long you will use it for, you will know when the time is right, if thats a week, great if its longer then so be it. By putting a time limit on it you ate putting your recovery under pressure and you dont need that at the start of your journey.

My DOC is alcohol so cant relate to the withdrawal aspect but i can relate to the pressures you will already feel to stay clean, dont add to them unnecessarily. Always here for support if you need it!

Good luck with your journey, and congratulations in taking a huge step in claiming your life back!!!

Welcome Alex :wave: I’m not recovering from heroin myself but if you search “heroin” or “opiates” (or similar terms) in the search bar you’ll find lots of threads about it. Opiates are - if you’ll excuse my language - a total f*ckstorm and you’ll see that in the stories on those threads but you will also see that people can and do recover from it, and you can too.

You need help. (All of us did, and do - we all need help.) There’s no shame in needing help; it’s a basic human truth. Whether you’re learning to play baseball or you’re learning to play life sober (and trust me, living a healthy life, sober, has rules and best practices and other stuff you need to learn, just like any game!) - when you’re learning, you need help. (And life is always about learning, one day at a time :innocent:)

For me, meetings made a huge difference. When I joined a group is when my recovery really started to gain momentum. For heroin and other opiates, NA is good:

https://www.na.org/meetingsearch/

There are also meetings online:

https://virtual-na.org/

It’s also helpful to check in here on Talking Sober. I come here every day, read and comment, and if I have the “addict voice” talking to me (those times when your brain starts saying “it’s ok, just one time” - we all have that now and again), I come and check in here. It’s kept me safe many times. Something about writing it out is helpful:

Checking in daily to maintain focus #39

You do whatever you need to do to stay sober. I like to say, you have permission to do anything that’s safe and legal, to stay sober. For example: go to 4 meetings a day (why not? It’s a safe place), eat 2 boxes of chocolate, take 4 hour walks listening to angry music, visit 5 museums in a day, cancel plans with people if you think it will tempt you (that is totally fine - your sobriety comes first, and real friends will understand), etc etc.

Remember: you’re a good person and you deserve a safe, sober life where you can be your full self. :innocent:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community !

Welcome Alex :purple_heart: