Staying sober without AA

I’ve been to one meeting but AA isn’t for me. I’d check out SMART recovery if you haven’t already. SMART is a science-based approach. It’s about taking back control and changing your thoughts/behaviors to tackle addiction. The only downfall are meetings are scarce (at least here) but there is always online meetings and resources.

My tuppence worth is, I am a stubborn mother f-er and stubbornly have tried to be a normal drinker, i stubbornly am not gonna go to an aa meeting yet, I have been in an out the na, ca, aa, rooms for 20 years… The last 4 /5 years of drinking I have tried to stop with this app, tried to stop by exercising a lot, tried to stop by pleasing a boy, but have always gone back to drinking, stubbornly thinking that I have the power over that drink, I have been in instutions and have been extremely stubborn on treatment of “trying to tackle thoughts and behaviours and cravings BS” and totally stubborn about any psychiatric treatment drink/drug psychology stuff that thinks it has worked out why I pick up a drink.!! … 3 days ago I picked up the AA book I picked up from a CA meeting over 10 years ago BECAUSE it was too early for the shop to serve me alcohol… I was super hungover already, I read that book for 2 days and I saw how and why I cannot drink, BUT I also saw what was missing in my white knuckle recovery before , a belief/faith in my true self/higher power, I have always thought I had all the power! Lol… Not sure yet if I will go back to meetings but that book tells the story of the insanity of drinking again and again and again of the Jay walker that gets hit again and again and again… Right now I accept that I have an alcoholic mentality that is written in that book from all those years ago. And right now if I had not tried to believe in something other than myself I would of stubbornly, almost sadly against my true self’s will, would of picked up another 4 pack tonight… I won’t be looking at any other programs or all the psychology of an alcoholic stuff, I like the naked mind and I’m just doing it for fun, sign up etc, watch videos etc etc!! End of the day it’s only ME and a FAITH that I CAN STAY SOBER. A real FAITH that I have from somewhere… , not a stubbornness to try not to believe… I can watch and sit through all the programs all the videos all the meetings but WITHOUT SOME kind OF BELIEF in SOMETHING BETTER or HIGHER or More POWERFUL… I think that’s been the missing bit for me, (drink and drug career spanning 25 years (as if that’s a statement of experience))… Good luck with all! :rainbow::pray::rainbow:

2 Likes

I am 56 days sober and i have not or never have attended a meeting. I have focused on my mental and physical health and also have educated myself as much as possible about addiction, alcohol and drugs. Reading books about alcoholism and also listening to them on audiotape while driving has really helped!

2 Likes

What ever works for you and keeps you sober so you can live a descent life , and help others on your journey . 11.841 days since i stopped drinking im a AA guy when i got sober there wasnt any other place to go in Scotland so if i hadnt attended that first meeting id prob be dead dont do as many as i used to but i know my sobriety is strong wish you guys ll well keep on trucking

11 Likes

I think not going to aa with my addiction would be like using sandpaper instead of a toilet paper. Pardon my allegory

Edit i mean why make your life more difficult?

10 Likes

Lol this is awesome, and pretty damn accurate for me too!

1 Like

Well, i figured some time ago, that for me aa is not actually to non-drink, but to stand this life better. And ofcourse to heal and to grow emotionally & spiritually…

6 Likes

Exactly, although for me a big part of it is the not drinking thing lol, but i get what youre saying. Its also as much about meeting like minded individuals and making friends too, ive moved to 3 different states in the last 6 years and now have a network of friends in all 3 i could call on if i needed to. Most of whom i trust better and know i could count on more than some of the friends and family ive known my whole life. Its also about learning how to be that friend to other people which promotes a lot of spiritual growth as well

6 Likes

I stopped drinking about 10 months ago and haven’t done AA. I’ve thought about going, although more for the building a sober network side of things. It just hasn’t worked out timing wise which I guess means I’m doing an ok job of keeping a network while I’m sober, although I don’t have a specific group of sober friends.

I’m not religious but the idea of accessing something more spiritual appeals to me. I find yoga, meditation and walking help with this when I can build them into my daily life. I am due to be starting some CBT to help with my mental health.

One of the things I’m not sure about with AA, is having that focus on alcohol and alcoholism. It just doesn’t define my day to day life and I don’t know if putting it front and centre would be helpful for me. I guess I still get a lot out of this forum.

I also don’t know if not identifying as an alcoholic/addict would be a barrier to getting the most out of AA, especially as the nearest group to me at the most convenient time is a Step meeting. You don’t know until you try though and I do remain open minded about it. But so far I seem to be staying sober and that’s the main thing!

5 Likes

I’m in AA and use many other forms of help. I don’t think one glove fits all…

I had a spiritual awakening. It was that simple for me. I cant even articulate it. One day after a bender i sat reflecting and then boom…i felt this overwhelming feeling… a powerful enlightenment that i was not alone and that it wasnt all about me. I am not religious. I have been sober 8 months today.I’d always managed to put all the poisons down for a while in the past but I’d always pick back up eventually. During those dry phases id be miserable, constantly fighting myself…It wasn’t until my heart and mind opened I was able to live again.
To be a person who has addictive qualities is something I accept today. Its part of me but it certainly doesnt define me. I know by changing the way I feel using mind altering substances will be certain death for me. I go with the flow and trust my higher power. Keep it Simple. One day at a time :butterfly:

10 Likes

That sounds so wonderful. It was for non-drinking at first for me too, but lately my cravings have vanished. I know they may be lurking behind the corner though, so i have no illusions of them never coming back :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good points. People can think of AA like a type of food. How do you know you dont like it if you don’t try it? Lol.

I lik it but thats me. Its a tool like many other things that can help people. If someone can stay sober without it then awesome keep doing what works for you.

We all have the same end goal.

7 Likes

I look at it like exercise. Some lift, some run, some swim, some do cals. Goal is a stronger body, just a different approach.

5 Likes

Don’t know if anyone else has mentioned it but there’s an AA book specifically for agnostics or atheists called One Big Tent. I’ve downloaded it but not read yet so can’t comment on it.

4 Likes

Ooh I really want to read that one! Its published by the Grapevine I believe. There are several others that arent AA World Services approved but look really good on amazon, I bought two of them recently and look forward to reporting back here!

1 Like

You can do it. Be patient and always think how drinking messed you up. You will loose that drink thought quickly.

A.A. isn’t really my bag but I have been to many meetings and I can clearly see that there is benefit to having a place to vent safely and find support from people who have been through the same things. But I look at simular to a salad bar; take what you want what works for you and leave the rest for someone who needs that. I have found a lot of the same supports here. Finding what works for you is whats most important.

4 Likes

Hi,

I’m new to this app today and just reading and browsing. I had hopefully my last bender last Thursday and I’ve been reading up on the condition as a start to my journey to quit for good.

I did quit for almost a year (started again this march) and I attended AA but I have looked at alternatives as much of what you have said resenates with me.

I like the idea of SMART because it’s more science based approach using cognitive behavioural tools to adjust behaviours that drive the addiction.

Anyway just wanted to say I understand and felt the same om some of many of your points

4 Likes

Milestone of a month and feeling really good about stuff. Next target is 90 days. My focus has been on mindfulness and reading and learning about alcohol misuse.

I’ve had a couple of wobbles this month gone by but more around frustration on my general health and the craziness of modern family life with two boys 6 and 3.

I want to focus on becoming a calmer person generally for my own well-being and everyone around me and I want to focus on my overall health. I am 5.11 and 18st. I have been fit in my life and want to make goals to get there again by changing my diet to help lose weight and reduce the effects of psoriatic arthritis which I’ve had for 10 years now and just allowed it to get worse.

Anyway. Not sure why I’ve written this share but to day I felt like typing out my thoughts from this milestone.

I really have appreciated this forum over the last moth it’s very helpful :grinning:

8 Likes

That was a good share quinny thanks. Congrats on your month that’s a massive achievement and being sober can only help you achieve your goals. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like