Stella's Cracked Looking Glass *** Trigger Warning ED ***

Yes of course, this explains it well.

4 Likes

Omg girl :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: this is huge!! I didn’t know about this. I knew eating disorders were more than just weight related… that there was definitely an emotional and mental component. But I didn’t know about how having an ED can almost rewire the brain and decrease or eliminate hunger cues. Sooo the fact that u are experiencing this is AMAZING :clap: I’m really happy for u!

4 Likes

I was thinking about this thread last night and I thought I could update it with some cool things I have been doing to improve my body image and self acceptance/self love.

I have been doing quite a few self acceptance meditations at night that take me into sleep. Apparently these can still work with your subconscious as you are resting so they might be part of the reason I am seeing some change.

I am making a “self love” alter in my bedroom. No I will not be praying to myself, just recognizing myself, trusting myself and loving myself as a whole.

These are a few things I have added to my alter so far…

I have this beside my full length mirror…

A self love spell candle…

Some essential oils…

And these cool reltionship cards I was gifted that meditate on…

Relationship with self is the most important relationship we will ever have.

I am still eating fairly well and still experiencing hunger cues. My rituals around food are quite obvious so I have some ideas on how I will work with those. I have been following the vegan food thread and I am getting inspired but I feel very overwhelmed when I think about needing to collect all the ingredients and then make the dish and then eat it. It’s just a lot of exposure to food and a lot of food thoughts. I am enjoying not having food thoughts in my head right now. The obsession has been lifted for now, I am a bit afraid to trigger myself. Anyways, I don’t needbto think about that today, I won’t be shopping today for sure. Maybe tomorrow. :blush:

8 Likes

That’s a great idea, I will take a peek and see what’s available here. Ty for the suggestion.

And as far as the altar I am definitely not the first to have one of these I am sure. :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Your crystals :heart_eyes: what type are they? I love crystals and their energies :raised_hands:t2:

I love hearing this progress and I’m so proud of you. :blue_heart:

I too, use vegan ready meals that you just heat and eat. I get overwhelmed by the same things, so these work great for me. I buy mine from a supermarket.

1 Like

Ooooh Cam you should come hang out on the The Metaphysical Properties of Crystals and Recovery :crystal_ball: thread!!!

These ones are all quartz points there is a lemurian there and a beautiful tibetian wand.

I also love them. Do you have some too???

1 Like

Omg I will totally come and check that thread out, thank you so much for the link :blush:

I do have some too and they bring me so much joy, will share a photo on the thread once I’ve caught up. :smiley:

1 Like

I decided to work around this and Rose’s @BroccoliHighKicks suggestion of having the delivery got me thinking.

I have a load of food sensitivities which works quite well with being able to deny myself food. The food that I need to purchase for myself tends to be quite expensive and more difficult to seek out or prepare. I go above and beyond for my child and my animals specific dietary needs so I did a " Stella Food Only" shop yesterday. I actually went to Costco (haha lots of food for someone ho barely eats!!!) . One of my rituals is that I eat the same things all the time, this seems to lessen my anxiety when I know what to expect.

After Rose mentioning the delivery I thought… why not just start with frozen vegan items? So that is what I have done. No stress, way less prep, super easy, less daunting.

I really want to get better… I am so sick of suffering. So, so sick of it.

:orange_heart::seedling:

10 Likes

Great idea!! I’m excited to what u buy for ur frozen began items! :slight_smile: ur doing amazing girl :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Hope this prep and delivery option helps ease some things for u

2 Likes

This is wonderful. Well done, you.

2 Likes

:dizzy::orange_heart::seedling:

8 Likes

I love this perspective

1 Like

Yes it is so simple. Simple works for me I tend to over complicated everything.

:blush:

1 Like

Same, simple isnt in my dictionary :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I wasn’t sure how I would approach my ED with DBT when I first started, but I have to say it has been quite helpful. We are coming up to the end of the first module, Distress Tolerance. The goals of this module are to learn how to survive crises, accept reality and become FREE ( of having to satisfy the demands of your desires, urges, and intense emotions)! Omg, that is so what I want!!!

The crisis survival skills I have found most helpful that I have learned in the last ten weeks are The STOP skill, TIP ( changing body temperature), self-soothing ( 5 senses), and distracting.

Then the whole section on reality acceptance was terrific. It included radical acceptance, turning the mind, willingness, half smiling and willing hands, and mindfulness of current thoughts.

Mindfulness of current thoughts was what we covered yesterday. It is something that I have been working on a lot on my own in the last two years of recovery. Observing my thought, trying not to analyze it, not suppressing it, not judging it, maybe asking some questions about where it has come from, or why I have suddenly thought such a thing.

There is this famous Dialectical saying, " Just because I think it doesn’t mean it’s real." When I learned that saying in my first round of this therapy many years ago, I grabbed onto it. It gave me so much hope knowing that there was a chance that the thoughts I had about myself might not be the truth. I am still running with that phrase, and the longer I hold onto it, the more self-defeating thoughts are shed from my inner dialogue. I can notice now when my " lower self" speaks up in my mind; she has a different voice and a recognizable way of speaking to me.

Since January, I have been doing quite well. I am afraid to talk too much about it, though in case I become triggered. The obsessive thoughts have been lifted from me for now, and I don’t want them back.

I believe we give much too much power to our thoughts.

This video is a good one.

:heart:

7 Likes

Great share Stella!! Jon is so awesome too, thanks kindly 🧘‍♂️

1 Like

“Don’t believe everything you think.” Fuckin’ a! I say this to myself at least once a day. :heartpulse:

2 Likes

I have started a thread on DBT as I knew there were other people doing this type of therapy. I think I will link my homework into this thread when it pertains to my ED.

In the last few months I have been accepting a lot of invites out to food centered gatherings. That has always been a no go for me in the past. I noticed some thoughts happening at our book study a few weeks back. The whole chapter is focused on our relationship with our bodies and I found everyone’s shares so triggering. Since then I have felt as though I am grasping onto the edge of a muddy cliff ready to fall. I believe maybe I have just done too much too fast, or maybe I have not been able to find my voice around boundaries I need to make.
Anyways, I will figure it out. I am grateful for all the support I have and that the people who accidently trigger me would do anything NOT to do that if I just asked.

5 Likes

THE ONLY CHANGE YOU NEED

Your body has been changing,
since the day you were born,
and it will continue to change,
until the day you die.
Fighting that change is a life-long battle,
which will bring you much misery and sorrow.
If you can accept your body early,
in this journey of life,
you will see it thrive.
You will automatically look after it,
and you will save yourself a world of pain,
metaphorically and literally.
You are not a fashion trend,
or a mannequin.
You are a human being,
made of flesh, bones and heart.
And you are pretty awesome,
just the way you are.
Don’t change the way you look sweet one,
change the way you see.
It’s the only adjustment you will ever need.

Donna Ashworth “I Wish I Knew’

14 Likes

Character defects creeping in again…I can smell my sickness.

anorexia nervosa (AN) is characterized by preoccupation with body experience, intrusive concerns regarding shape, and pathological fears of weight gain. These symptoms are suggestive of unrelenting self-focused attention.

10 Likes