Still not figuring it out

For me it is all about rigorous honesty, service to others, and connection to something larger than yourself. That is what worked for me.

And I think at base, that is what the 12-steps are supposed to delver you to.

For me, the program was about will power which did not work for me. However, my sponsors always refused to speak to me when I had the urge to use—and told me it would be wrong to speak to any addict at such a time. If you are getting support at such times that is great! I think that is what the program should do.

And it does seem to be changing. My sponsors were always hard-line old timers.

(I am working with someone in the program now who actually asked me to to call him if I thought I was going to use. You could have knocked me over with a feather.)

Www.Google.com

You can use this website to search for sober groups that aren’t meetings. I suggest a hobby like hiking or biking. They have ones that are specifically for sober folks.

Try volunteering at a soup kitchen or homeless shelter. They always need help.

Take dancing lessons. I mean why not? Seems fun.

Find a community garden and grow some stuff. Talk to the other people there.

3 Likes

Sponsor is there to call anytime in need, you call them before u use or when you think you might use thats what they’re there for to help you talk, you off from the ledge.

I am involved in community projects and volunteer for service organizations. And everywhere I go, I am open about being in recovery.

But the thing is that people who have no experience with drug use often ask about it. I know also I must be around a lot of people who are recovering addicts—statistically that has to be, right?

But over the last twenty years, none have identified themselves to me.

I have had students ask for help with their addictions, but never a peer.

I do not understand this. Are people afraid of being outed? I even see people I recognize from meetings but they do not acknowledge that we are acquainted.

Not all see their role that way. Most of my sponsors saw their function as to get me through the steps. One said that he was not going to endanger his clean time by getting triggered by a sponsee.

I do not think there is anything wrong with that. It is important to know one’s own limits.

But there are different ideas about what a sponsor is supposed to do.

I think I misunderstood. When you said “sober groups” you do not just mean regular groups not organized around drinking. You mean groups for people in recovery…I think.

Not sure how to even google such thing. (None of my search terms worked yet.) But finding groups is a project I can work on.

Thank you.

I did a quick google search and came up with sober groups. Here’s one:
https://www.meetup.com/topics/sober-activities/

Thanks. I googled “sober activities” and got nothing like this.

I would like to think I would have figured it out eventually…but you made it so easy.

Thank you.

1 Like

It’s some kind of mind altering substance, I did not mean illegal…I did not mean to offend. Just that something you’re taking is changing the way you feel… :pray:

The “mind altering subtance” is something most people’s bodies produce on their own. Mine stopped so I need this suppliment.

So you are also on this “mind altering substance.”

As are probably everyone else responding.

As a kid I remember a sermon a pastor gave. At the time it didnt make much sense. However, over the last 1198 days it rings true. He said…

“Someone once asked, why doesnt God perform miracles any more…there are still natural disasters, death from disease, ect, ect ect. I feel God doesnt perform those tiny miracles any more. He performs great big ones every single day. I have witnessed the miracle of an alcoholic getting sober. I have witnessed the woman about to commit suicide, suddenly stop. Those are the miracles he performs. He changes lives.”

Sometimes we miss the miracle. What I didnt realize as a kid…decades later that sermon could have been about me.

4 Likes

I think this is getting semantic. Someone said wait for something to happen in meetings and I responded that twenty years was long enough.

Of course miraculous things happen every day. But that’s not what this was about.

This more an example of insanity defined as doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result.

Seems as I have nothing to offer for help. I wish you well on your journey.

1 Like

You gave it all that you could. I enjoyed the sermon story at least. I also think I understand the point completely.

1 Like

I disagree. I think you have offered (and given a lot).

Everyone loses the thread of the conversation sometimes, but it does not matter. We heal though connection–not through “good advice.”

You interest and concern have already helped me.

As I write this it occurs to me that may be why the program encourages us to share experience rather than advice.

I am sorry if I was harsh. I truly did not mean to be.

And I sincerely mean it when I say connection (for me at least), is how I recover.

You were not harsh, just seems like advice given is not what is needed. No harm, no foul.

1 Like

That’s why any form of meeting helped me. I may not found it ‘home’ but I never left with the mindset of drinking.

1 Like

Ah,that’s really interesting :grin:…I found out the vitamin b6 can give you lucid dreams!..it’s also produced in the female body to produce iron and thus I found out that epileptogenesis ( that I have had a few times over the years and isn’t pleasant) is also because of this overproduction of b6 :wink: :fist_right::fist_left::pray:

1 Like

The scary part is wondering if I have stayed clean because my body was not working properly.

You are lucky. For me, meetings make me feel disconnected and alone. And even if you do feel connected…you go home at the end. Where you are still alone …except your addiction is still with you.

Online at least we can communicate as things go on…

I think I need to meet other recovering people, in real life, outside meetings and not on the internet, so we can connect.