Still sober...had to cut ties w friend who won’t get help

Yeah the friend I mentioned in the last post won’t get help. He promises to but he never does…really hard to be ok w everything right now.

That can be one of the hardest, but most necessary, things we do in our own fight for sobriety. But if I person isn’t there for you in your own sobriety, are they really a friend? Bravo to you on taking such a hard step!

He was draining my energy and I don’t want to be dragged down with him. I was starting to feel depressed and maybe like I should drink etc.

1 Like

You made the right decision. We can only hope that he will as well.

1 Like

I don’t know what it will take to get him to quit but losing my friendship doesn’t seem to matter.

1 Like

I think you made the right decision. It’s good you are looking out for yourself, we can’t help others if they aren’t willing to help themselves.

1 Like

He is probably in the end stages of alcoholism. I lost hope. Can’t stand by and watch anymore.

Hey Erin,
I can imagine that it’s hard to lose an alleged friend but here and now the most important person in your life is YOU. You and your sobriety and your health. You need all your energy now to help yourself. And you obviously want to help yourself. If there are people in the world that are not ready to do the same: please make it not your problem. Keep fighting for yourself, you will make it :raising_hand_woman:

Hi Erin u gotta do the best thing for your sobriety. I’ve heard lots of people say they want to quit but do nothing about it . It’s all good talking about it but your friend needs to put the action in . Maybe stay away and love from a distance. You never know you could make him see how well your doing and be the shining example he needs to follow x

I told him not to contact me again unless he is sober. My life has definitely improved in huge ways being sober. I am very lucky. Just to add to the drama, he was trying to get involved w me too so I think him promising to be or get sober was just a ruse. I could be wrong though because he does appear to be in the end stages of alcoholism and in dire condition. It’s all horrible. He also has a girlfriend he has supposedly tried to split with because she drinks a lot too and enables him. I’ve known him fifteen years…but he needs help and being around people like that will just harm him. I can’t listen to the lies anymore.