Store Bought/Restaurant Chain Foodie Wannabes!

Those look soooo convenient and yummy!

We do have an ALDI which I’ve been meaning to check out and see what all the hype is about.

4 Likes

Prepare to be disappointed. It is practically all boxed ‘food’.

2 Likes

Ah, well, seems there’s a reason I haven’t gone there. :+1:t3:

2 Likes

The Aldi by me does have produce and they do have good prices, may be worth checking out. Aldi owns Trader Joe’s.

2 Likes

I don’t know. I visited Aldi when I was in Berlin and it was a nice little store. Lots of candy selection.

1 Like

Admittedly I have only visited USA Aldi’s, which I imagine differ from their original stores. I have visited 2 Aldi’s in Florida and 1 in North Carolina. Each had one row of produce and the rest of the store was boxed / prepared food. I did not check out the candy section. :blush:

3 Likes

I live in the Midwest (US) and the Aldi’s are relatively new and they have produce, a freezer section including meat, chicken, dairy section, mini bakery and if you need baking supplies, last time I was there, their prices can’t be beat. It’s been awhile since I’ve been there (prior to 2020), mainly because I have a Jewel closer, but now I want to check out again, lol.

3 Likes

No Aldi’s anywhere near me, but we do have two organic natural food stores in our unincorporated town of 4000. Locally sourced meats and dairy and in season fruits and vegetables… plus locally canned (pickled okra!) and baked goods…pretty amazing really. We do have an Ingles about a half hour away…like Publix or Kroger or any large US supermarket.

2 Likes

I looooove my natural food store :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Aldi is wonderful! You have to go, then you will know!

2 Likes

Oh yes I’ve tried those! They are good :+1:

1 Like

Jose Ole Chimichanga Beef and Cheese

That’s so interesting! Aldi in Austria is called Hofer and mainly a quite big dicount supermarket where you get everything.

I show you my favourite frozen food. I like the products from Iglo very much:

8 Likes

I don’t know what Mehlspeistraum is… But, I’d totally try it! Is it a treat or is it like a bun in olive oil? I can’t really tell from the picture.

1 Like

made of flour and it is like a dream :wink: it is sweet and you have to pepare it over steam , haven’t you @erntedank

3 Likes

Mehlspeistraum is just a marketing word. The food is called Germknödel. yeast dough filled with Powidl. It’s cooked over steam for about 10 minutes and covered with fluid butter, poppy seed and sugar.
Powidl is just plums - cooked for about 8 hours until the pulp is really thick. Never confuse Powidl with jam or mush :scream::grin:
You know it @anon74766472 :yum::yum::yum:
It’s easy to make but faster when it comes frozen :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Sounds interesting! Not sure if it sounds like a dream or not, but I’d still eat that! @erntedank what is with the obsession with poppy seeds? Here in the US, you might find poppy seeds in muffins, or on a bagel, but that’s about it. When I was in Germany, they put poppy seeds on a lot of stuff. Like it was a treat or something. Glad I didn’t have to do a pee test to return home to the States! :joy:

2 Likes

Restaurant chain food for me & my little guy this aft. Waiting while hubby had day surgery in a neighbouring town so we went to Boston pizza (no chain restaurants in my little town). Not my favourite spot but his meal was free and he loves the “bugs & cheese” so it’s a fun mum & son date. I’ve had enough sodium for the week I think :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

We do a lot of cooking with different sorts of poppy seeds in Austria, don’t know if in Germany too but I suppose on any account in the south.
There is a long tradition to cultivate poppy in upper Austria, mostly the Waldviertel and the Czech Republic, i think it goes back to Romans. We use the seeds for sweet and savory dishes, put it in flour, drain oil from the seeds and put it on white bread specialities like a Mohnweckerl. It’s healthy and you won’t fail a pee test after eating it, I promise! The main poppy sorts are grey poppy, blue poppy and white poppy. On the Germknödel there is grey poppy :yum:
Here is the famous Waldviertler Mohn blooming

This is a Mohnweckerl

7 Likes