Strange food

I’ve had some really different foods here and there. There are certain things I just could not eat, like goat eyes, some organs, that kind of gross stuff that usually involves mammals. I’ve got haggis scheduled for my trip to Scotland in May, I feel I can do that. What are some of the strangest things you’ve eaten? Where do you draw the line?

One of the strangest things and yet so simple I had was in Iceland. I was at a gas station actually. They take a hotdog wrapped in bacon, grill it, and serve it with potato salad. It was really good!

8 Likes

I dont draw any lines when it comes to trying new foods. I work in a high end restaurant and the chef loves that I’ll try anything bc most of my coworkers are picky. I couldn’t tell you what the strangest thing is I’ve ever tried. Chicken feet were actually pretty delicious. Ostrich was another one that surprised me. And I like trying everything on the menu at my favorite sushi restaurant. I grew up always going to different ethnic restaurants. Some of their desserts my favorites(Malaysian was my favorite selection for that) and they tend not to be as sweet as their American counterparts. Food is the spice of life. As long as you dont overindulge. Mmm, now I want sushi.

3 Likes

Can’t say I’m a fan of hot dogs (unless back when I’d eat it tipsy over open campfire) but you had me at “wrapped in bacon” :joy:

Me too now. Su-shi, su-shi, su-shi, su-shi,

1 Like

I’m telling you, it was great! And a rare cheaper vittle in the world’s most expensive island

I make a hot dog casserole that others might find disqusting, my husband certainly does.

1 Like

Haggis is beautiful I eat it most weeks in Scotland. Hope you have a great time when you are over.

Stephen
Bonnie Scotland

2 Likes

I love chicken feet! My wife is Chinese, from south China where they’re very common. I first tried them when I was living there & I got hooked.

Your restaurant sounds great! What type of food is on the menu? Does it have a focus?

3 Likes

Calf brain is pretty strange. I mean, the texture is just what you’d imagine brain to be. I just couldn’t get over that.

I have eaten scorpion and crickets. I find it interesting that crickets disgust me, not much of a taste really…but I LOVE escargot. It’s probably the butter and garlic!

4 Likes

Cow tongue. It is delicious. Cut it up, stir fry with a good sauce, veggies, serve it over steamed rice. Yum!

3 Likes

I love it! Tacos!

2 Likes

There is a thing called natto (fermented soy beans) in Japan, has an extremely sticky slimy texture and pungent smell. Took a good 7 years to get used to it, love it now!!

3 Likes

Oh yes… natto. Lived in Japan and it was always a thing. Still don’t like it! Lol

1 Like

Also fish ovaries. Doable if the spicy kind.

1 Like

Yes it’s good

1 Like

I’m sure I’ll like it. I’ll be in Edinburg this time. Where are you?

Not sure I can eat brain. But bugs—no I don’t want to eat them, but oddly enough for all us seafood lovers, don’t crabs look like big spiders? Hardly a difference in the grand scheme.

1 Like

I like 明太子 mentaiko

1 Like

When I lived in Alaska I ate some weird stuff that the Natives ate. MukTuk, which is whale blubber.
I ate seal, but I don’t remember what it was called.
And caribou intestines. Also don’t remember what they were called.

That along with all the fish and wild game I ate up there like birds and bears and moose, was all the highlight of my strange foods career. Especially for this coastal California boy

5 Likes

Let nothing go to waste

1 Like