Strange food

true that.

Have you ever watched that show Life Below Zero? They follow a number of different families or individuals in their different pursuits of survival in the Alaskan winter. Definitely they don’t let anything go to waste.

1 Like

I used to eat cow tongue a lot when I lived in Prague. It gets a really bad rep but its delicious

3 Likes

I have seen it. Cool show. I have been in a couple villages like the ones on the show. I like that lady with the camp up on the Slope.

I’m not super adventurous when it comes to food so, I guess for me the strangest thing I’ve ever eaten was deer salami.
But on a side note… I absolutely love Scotland and although I didn’t try the haggis when I was there I’ve heard it’s delicious!! Enjoy. Lol

1 Like

What brought your folks up there? Was it The Pipeline?

Venison is tasty

3 Likes

What is haggis?

I wouldn’t try anything but the typical cow, chicken, Turkey, and fish until I was like…25ish. Went camping with some hunter buddies and we are antelope and I fell in love with it! We got some backstrap and I cooked with sage butter, it was amazing! Definitely wouldn’t try bear. I’ve heard it’s really tough meat too

Tough and greasy. Or so I have been told. I tried a black bear roast and it was pretty friggin good. I guess black bear is better meat than brown or grizzly. But I guess the roast we had was the best cut of meat on the bear.

But I was like you. I had never ate anything other than store bought beef and chicken. So when I had the opportunity up there to try these things, I was all over it.

It was super interesting up there. If you ate spaghetti or something similar at a friends house, it was prolly made with moose meat. And during fishing season, smoked salmon for days and days. Mmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmm. And the Halibut. Those I miss for sure.

1 Like

Haggis is a savoury pudding containing sheep’s pluck, minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and cooked while traditionally encased in the animal’s stomach though now often in an artificial casing instead.

That’s haggis, neaps and tatties, s beautiful Scottish dish.

1 Like

Oh wow haha. Thankyou for that

Glasgow which is around 80km away.

1 Like

@Abacus, Bacon wrapped dogs are common on the street in San Francisco. I can never not buy one. :yum:

1 Like

It definitely pushed hotdog status up a notch. What about the potato salad in San Fran?

I think usually it’s grilled onions and stuff. Yeah, the potato salad is… interesting. Sort of the whole BBQ on a bun, eh?

Speaking of strange food…

“You know, this strange food not bad! Especially with juuuuuuust a dash of stinky on it.” (shakes seeds from nearby stinky flower into his food)
– Petrey, in one of the Land Before Time movies

3 Likes

I live in Southeast Asia. Everything gets eaten, nothing goes to waste. I used to be more adventurous but after over a decade here I’m less. Adventurous to me is eating Taco Bell. Which, we dont have here. Or McDonald’s
But really. Fermented fish, squirrel, goats blood salad (no thanks) porcupine, fermented bamboo, every part of every cow, pig, chicken… yeah…
I dream of a slice of my mom’s lasagna someday. :joy:

Yeah Is probably pass on much of that too.