Struggling Emotionally

68 days sober but divorce, loss of job and pending legal issue have me feeling so worthless and useless. Also living at my parents at age 49. Don’t even know where to begin to start building a new life. Just in such a low place each day. I pray but no relief. Thoughts of giving up on life run thru my head daily. Just not getting any better.

8 Likes

Your sober that’s a good place to start one day at a time small victories day by day I also
Get on my knees every morning and pray he will answer if you keep sober and do
The next right thing your life will turn around for the better in time if you have no support you could try a local AA meeting meet new friends who have walked in your shoes wish you all the best in your journey keep
Your head up :pray:t2:

3 Likes

Thats definitely alot to go through all at once, but youre sober and that in and of itself is something. All you can do is put one foot in front of the other and take things as they come. Don’t allow yourself to get into the frame of mind that everything has to be dealt with all at once and try to isolate things in order of importance.

I’m a huge fan of this quote from Cast Away when things get rough and I hope it brings some small help to you

-“I know what I have to do now. I just keep breathing. Because the sun will rise tomorrow. Who knows what the tide will bring?”

2 Likes

68 days is something to be proud of and something to build on. I’m glad you’re here to get the support you need.

1 Like

Congrats on 68 days. Im 56, divorced and live at my Moms house. I feel your pain. Push through what you have to push through because it’s not gonna be like this forever. Its going to get better. Thats pretty much a guarantee if we don’t drink or pick up. Keep doing the next right thing. It may suck now and thats ok. Embrace the suck and learn how to not revisit it. Hang in there. This is it…your doing it.

2 Likes

Thanks. It’s so damn hard dealing with it all. No desire to drink it’s everything else weighing me down.

2 Likes

Thank you so much

1 Like

Are you participating in a sober community of some sort? For me, that is key. Knowing I am not alone in my struggles with alcohol or whatever addiction you may have was key to me maintaining sobriety. I didn’t drink today, probably not tomorrow. Rooting for you!

I attend regular AA meetings and some via zoom. Still doing IOP thru treatment center I went to in September. I didn’t drink today either; the not drinking is the easy part. It’s dealing with no job, divorce, fallout from pending legal issue that are the problem. Too much to handle and deal with at times. Feel so absolutely overwhelmed and just think about checking out of life at times. It’s not the answer but it goes thru my mind too often.

1 Like

I’m sorry you feel like you’re struggling with life as it is now. It can sound trite at times, but a gratitude practice really helps me reframe my thinking from looking at all the negative in my life to seeing not only what is going right, but also to start finding value in the trials that life puts me through. This article is worth a read. A deliberate and methodical daily gratitude practice has made all the different to my attitude and perspective in my recovery. Well done on working your program and your 68 days.

You might consider checking out this thread, if you’re so inclined.

Can you take a walk tomorrow? Will you do that for me? I want you to tell me one beautiful, interesting, curious or weird thing that you saw.

The world is full of wonder and you are where you are because you belong there right now. It might not makes sense to you, but you are loved and supported but the universe and you are right where you are meant to be.

Keep moving forward and don’t let the should be, could be, would bes keep you from enjoying your day today. One step at a time.

1 Like

I’m so sorry you are going through all of this. That is rough, but you do have a good support in place. I’m so glad you came here to post. It really does help me share my struggles with sober community. Just takes some of the load off. Send you lots of strength and hope as you navigate through these choppy waters.

1 Like