Struggling to beat the urge to have just 1 drink☹

14 days AF and today, ALL DAY, I have been craving a drink. I’ve done everything in my power to stay busy but it seems every 2 minutes that though keeps recurring. There is beer in the fridge that is my husband’s bc he still drinks socially. Im scared I’m going break and lose this battle…
Feeling almost defeated

1 Like

Can you go lay down? Try some vipassana meditation. Or maybe a cold shower and yes I’m serious about the cold shower lol. Maybe a walk? Sometimes it is a constant battle all day long, just focus on getting your head on that pillow, tomorrow will be a better day. Well unless you drink then it’s gonna be a day full of anxiety, shame guilt and hungover…fudge that…each time you fight through these urges it gets easier. And yeah some days for me were seriously just fighting my mind all day and some times that Is something we seriously have to do

7 Likes

Read more posts. Be encouraged. Go to bed early. Just let the moment pass. Make it today

2 Likes

I took a nap, did laundry, cleaned, played with the kids, planted some flowers and even sat outside just to try ti clear my mind, but non of that worked. So I jump on here. Thanks for responding, that support helped.
Thanks friend.

3 Likes

Don’t fight against the urges, they just grow bigger. Your feelings and urges are the weather, changeable, but u are the sky, separate, unaffected. Rise above the urges.

5 Likes

Yep just stated that now!!! Thank you so much!

wow… i really felt that… :heartpulse:
Thank you

1 Like

I believe in you. Remember all the reasons youve decided to let alcohol go. Anxiety, regret, shame, self sabotage. You got this.

3 Likes

Thanks for believing in me even if you don’t know me. That means a lot. I don’t get a lot of support at home. I believe they think I’m going to fail and they think that stopping drinking is the easiest thing to do.

2 Likes

I didn’t get much support either. I believe in you as well. 14 days is huge girl, remember you’re doing this for you.

2 Likes

In the same boat except day 7 :confused: I’ve learned that you can’t just have one. That will let yourself believe you just have “one” which we all know leads to more. You can do it. I’m In pain to it hurts but you can do it :blush:

4 Likes

Set a timer. Check in here every 5 minutes. I remember one day I started a thread called “having a hard time” - just like you did here - and I set a timer and every 5 minutes I checked in here. People were very encouraging! It helped me get through a very hard day.

Like Mike said above, all you gotta do is get your sober head on that pillow. Your “addict brain” is talking in your ear saying one won’t matter. She’s wrong. But you have power over her now. You can label her - she’s the addict brain - and you can tame her. She comes up when you have some unmet needs (maybe you need some time for yourself, maybe you need some food or rest). What do you need now? Do you need some support, someone to give you permission to have a bath, or lay back and watch TV, or ____?

I don’t know. But I do recognize the addict brain. Mine is a sneaky f*cker. But I’m starting to recognize him when he shows up. And it’s always because I haven’t addressed some need that I have. (My recovery group is helpful helping me unpack these.)

You’re a good person, you deserve a sober, safe life. You deserve to get the space and the attention you need (and whatever other needs you have). Get to bed sober tonight, then tomorrow’s another day. One day at a time, 5 minutes at a time.

4 Likes

One thing I learned in sobriety is that I can do anything for 15 seconds. And that includes tolerating urges or cravings. The craving will pass, and it will not destroy me while I wait for it to pass - I had to learn that, too.

One of the huge advantages of the AA program is that I can call another member at any time. Whether I admit I am craving or not, just calling to talk about sobriety reinforces that impetus for me and I find myself with great relief at the end of the call.

Blessings on your house :pray:

4 Likes

I think it’s awesome that you reached out here for support. Wish I would have done that before I relapsed the week of Memorial Day. I went thru hell coming out of that two week ordeal. I admire you for using your toolbox and reaching out. Tomorrow will be a better day, and if it isn’t, reach out and we will get through it.

you’ve made it so far! Just think how amazing you will feel tomorrow knowing you fought the urge and won! With each victory… it will make you stronger during the next urge.

You got this!

2 Likes

You and me both I’m only 30 days in the constant craving have a cold beer after a long day at work or just while watching TV is almost unbearable I try to keep my mind busy but I’m so tired all the time it’s a relentless battle

2 Likes

Same! ALL DAMN DAY! There are 3 beers in the fridge. Husband still drinks. I cried about it earlier, took a nap, mowed the lawn, did some feet up exercises, went for a walk, been on here a lot, and went to the hardware store just to roam. All I can think now is that the day is almost over. Hang in there! Some days are harder than others… we know this and expect it, now we just have to get through it.

2 Likes

The cravings can be real strong especially when we still feel like we’re missing out by not being able to drink. You’re addicted brain is throwing a temper tantrum because you won’t feed it. Well done on reaching out and fighting. Acknowledge the craving and let it pass… no matter how strong they are they always pass…

You deserve a sober life if that’s what you seek because you are worth it. We’re all here for you.

3 Likes

Romancing the drink? 30 days is a hell of a good start, the worst is behind you. If you slip you’ll have to do it all over again.

Check out a podcast if you’re struggling they help me a lot, they may help you too. Stay strong

Find the nearest McDonald’s with a working ice cream machine, a chore and time consuming process in and of itself, and go have an ice cream.

Life’s good, life gets better, Life’s worth living… because you’ve been sober.

I got sober, and I was a damn good drunk with 5 bazillion urges, and I have stayed sober for 870 some odd days… you can stay sober too.

7 Likes