Struggling to sleep - first 30 days

Hi everyone, I’m sober for 8 days now, feeling determined and positive. I’m struggling to sleep though, staying awake until 2 or 3am on a work night so not good! Has anyone else struggled with sleep in the early sober days and any advice? Will avoid sleeping pills, thanks, Maria

3 Likes

Oh my, yes! It is part of the process. Once I learned that it was part of the process, I started trying things to help. I listened to “brown noise” on a white noise app, did some pre-sleep meditation/body scanning and took melatonin. All of which I still do as a means of self-care if I’m having trouble sleeping. It’s been 305 days now. One of the first and best things I learned about getting sober was to be patient with myself, the symptoms/withdrawals/emotional issues and myself and not to expect magic. Things will get easier, and your sleep will get better!

5 Likes

Welcome @Murph. Congrats on the 8 days!

1 Like

Oh yes. Sleep is difficult. I think part of it is the detox that your body is doing. It is working so hard right now it is difficult to slow down and get the proper rest. It will come. If anything I sleep too much now. I struggle to stay up past 9pm and wake up at 6am. Sleep is goooood.

3 Likes

Thanks JMS, really useful tips which I will try out.

1 Like

I have read through all your replies and really appreciate you taking the time to respond which such good feedback. I will download those apps shared and am looking forward to my sleep improving soon!

Hi Maria, I think I slept an average of 4-6 hours every night for the first month of Sobriety. Sometimes less. It’s totally normal, just get through it and your sleeping will regulate it’s self again. Also, I increased my caffeine intake drastically so that affected my sleep a lot too. So it’s good to just remember those things and know it won’t last forever.

3 Likes

Hi Maria! It’s very common. When I got out of detox and into IOP the doctor provided me seroquel to sleep as early sobriety-one of the side effects- is not sleeping. It helped tremendously and after about two weeks I was just going to sleep on my own. Sleep hygiene and self care is a huge part of recovery. Make sure to not exercise or drink caffeine too close to bed time. Sound machines have helped me along with lavender. I got a dehumifier as well. It’s still very early for you, this is completely normal! Just take a deep breath and realize it will get easier and smile because you’re sober!

3 Likes

You said avoid sleeping pills, why’s that? I took unisom for my first week and it helped me set a pattern and routine of getting ready too and going to sleep. Just my experience.

Aside from that, I regularly stayed up until 3-4 am getting hammered, and made it to work sometimes when I didn’t wake up and drink again. Just be patient, sleep is one if those things that can take time, and is tremendously helped by setting up a routine and following it.

3 Likes

Hi! I’m on day 3 and I’ve been having a hard time sleeping also hopefully it gets better for us soon :grimacing:

1 Like

And congrats on 8 days!!

1 Like