Sunday Learning From The Scriptures

If there’s anything that has created the most dramatic change in my life, it is the scriptures. The teachings of Jesus Christ. Regardless of whether you are a Christian or not, scripture has purpose and meaning behind it that can teach us how to govern ourselves in a better way. All can benefit from these teachings, regardless of belief or lack of belief. Id invite each of you to read the scriptural passage, and respond to the question. Creating a dialog helps us all improve.

Matthew 18:1-11

Why would Jesus want us to become like a little child? What are some characteristics of children that would make us more Christlike if we incorporated them into our lives?

18 Likes

It’s all about being humble. Little children don’t know that they sin, they don’t have pride. But as adults we know the difference between right and wrong I don’t know about anyone else but I’m pretty prideful. It was my pride that kept me from actually getting the help I needed and going to meetings.
Kids trust in their parents to do the right things and God wants us to put our faith in him and trust him just like we would our parents. We are imperfect beings in an impefect world, but if we become like little children and put our faith in our Father things will be dramatically different in our lives.

About an hour left until I’m 14 days sober :grin:

12 Likes

I find the part about Humility as a good aspect to this set of scriptures. As we become like a little child, we are willing to put the Lord’s will before our own. This not only allows us to receive blessings that He sees fit to give us, but helps to make our heart more thankful for those blessings and willing to continue to do His will; in a way, we become like him moreso.

4 Likes

A child and it’s Inquisitive nature to search each day out and experience new things to them, like a clean and sober addict reexperiencing seeing and feeling everything again like its their first time.

7 Likes

I would say that children are without sin, because of their innocence. But, becoming as a child means to be submissive, meek and humble. Children are also very forgiving. Such is the Kingdom of God.

6 Likes

Today’s teaching: John 8:2-11

When have you felt like the woman, receiving mercy instead of condemnation from the Savior? When have you been like the scribes and Pharisees, accusing or judging others even when you are not without sin? (see John 8:7). What else can you learn from the way the Savior interacted with the scribes and Pharisees and the woman caught in adultery? What do you learn about the Savior’s forgiveness as you read these verses?

6 Likes

The one absolute fact I know about the scriptures, having read The New Testament, The Quran and The Book of Mormon is they are morality tales. Which is beneficial for all.

5 Likes

I bet he was doodling a pharasee with a moustache.

2 Likes

I think this parible is interesting, but a good one. Jesus did not condone adultery, of course; but he also did not condemn the woman. Jesus actually encourages her to reform her life, telling her to try again and to “sin no more” (“… Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.”).

If you are a Joseph Smith fan, you might be interested in knowing of his telling of the woman, to which she was converted after this event. “And the woman glorified God from that hour, and believed on his name”

1 Like

I have always wondered about that. I am not sure we know the answer to the question (at least from the things I have read), though I sometimes wish I know.

My best guess is he probably wrote something symbolic, or a phrase from a scripture. Perhaps he wrote something regarding the Law of Moses, perhaps even a quote of it to show where his Higher Law fits into. Another thought is that it was something for more for the woman whom knelt next to him. While we may not know, I like to personally believe it was something of some benefit for those there that day. :slight_smile:

Or maybe @DungeonMaster is correct haha; we don’t really know after all :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s in the JST

2 Likes

Luke 15 (Multiple parables of being lost and found)

Have you ever wondered how Heavenly Father feels about those who have sinned or are otherwise “lost”? The Pharisees and scribes criticized Jesus for even associating with such people. In response, Jesus told three parables, found in Luke 15—the parables of the lost sheep, the lost coin, and the prodigal son.

As you read these parables, consider making a list of similarities and differences between them. For example, you could look for what was lost and why, how it was found, and how people reacted when it was found. What messages did Jesus have for those who are “lost”—including those who don’t think they are lost? What messages did He have for people who seek those who are lost?

Of course, it is always better not to become lost. Regarding Luke 15:7, Elder James E. Talmage wrote, “There is no justification for the inference that a repentant sinner is to be given precedence over a righteous soul who had resisted sin” (Jesus the Christ [1916], 461). However, all of us sin and need rescuing, and the comforting message of the Savior’s parables is that each of us can repent and return to righteousness, for God desires that not one soul should perish.

4 Likes

I believe that in all these parables, Christ is trying to get across the point that every soul has infinite worth. Clearly God does not care about numbers. He focuses on the individual.

Each of us are a lost sheep, a prodigal son or daughter, who have strayed from Christ’s covenant path. I believe in a God who forgives though. Christ said, “And again, how oft would I have gathered you as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, yea, O ye people of the house of Israel, who have fallen; yea, O ye people of the house of Israel, ye that dwell at Jerusalem, as ye that have fallen; yea, how oft would I have gathered you as a hen gathereth her chickens, and ye would not.” (3 Nephi 10:5)

He stands waiting with open arms to receive us.

2 Likes

I find the father to be an interesting person in the story of the prodigal son. The son comes to him, and he does give up his portion. The father, however, is also watching for when the son to return some day; we see this because the father sees him a distance away making his return, and runs out to him to show his love.

I think it is interesting to see the Father in the whole picture. He surely didn’t want the son to leave and make poor life choices, but he probably knew that there wasn’t anything he could do where the son had already made up his mind. But he was able to make sure to welcome him back into a loving place when the son was ready to be back.

I like to liken scriptures to myself, where I can. In the story, I see myself often as the prodigal son who openly and willing chose to act on my addition; I chose to start at some point, and I chose to hide it for a while. And now, I chose to return back to try and become something better than anything I could have found in the world. I chose to return back and have found, much like the son of this story, love all around me. Family, friends, church members, the people on this forum - all these people who say that they are glad we are moving forward again! Sure, I have a few people (like the other prodigal who did not leave) who question if I am committed, but they will come around in due time.

So, this parible stood out for me a lot haha :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Matthew 25:1-13

The parable of the 10 virgins is a great example of being prepared. What can we do in our lives to be fully committed to the gospel. If you’re not religious, what can you do to become more committed toward sobriety?

Why must we become individually converted to the gospel, and not as a group? Or from a secular stand point, why is group sobriety not enough?

3 Likes

I have two types of answers, based on the question presented haha :slight_smile:

1. As for religion, I think it’s important to remember that we can’t expect to get conversion from others. We have to have our own testimonies of what we believe. We also cannot get a testimony from somebody else who already has one. We can fill our lamp with oil by doing the right things each day, drop by drop.

2. As for secular and sobriety, we are unable to become sober just from another individual. We must, ourselves, be committed to change and acting on that. We can’t get sober days from other people; rather they can point us in many direction that could help us get our own sobriety. But at some point we must begin being committed to sobriety for ourselves so we can stand strong when our weaknesses comes knocking and calling for us again.

I, personally, just wanted to say thanks for doing this nearly every week. I am learning a lot of good things (both religiously and secularly) from these discussions. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Absolutely. I think when I post I will try to liken the scriptures to our own situations, not just spiritually, but involving our sobriety.

I think that’s a huge crutch for many who enter sobriety. They join a group and become sober based on the associations they’ve made. Then the group disbands, you move, or your sponsor dies. Something like that, and suddenly you find that the foundation you built on was not rock at all, but sand.

Interesting analogous interaction I had once. I had a patient who was a geologist and some sort of engineer. She was surveying land in Tacoma, WA down by the docks for construction. The ground was mostly sand. She said that the ground felt completely solid, but they were still drilling holes deep in the ground and filling them with cement to create a solid foundation. The reason being, during an earthquake, sand vibrates so rapidly, that it becomes as fluid as water. An entire building could theoretically sink into the ground and be destroyed.

We must build our sober foundations in something that’s sustainable, independent of other people, places, objects, whatever.

3 Likes

Wow, that is weird to even think about. But I can see why it could happen that way and how that knowledge is very important. Like you said, there is a few things you could learn about from that!

1 Like

I’m confused by this post. Is it in reference to a previous post or something?

Not what I was referring to. I was asking about the post before it. If you click on the icon to the top right of my post it will take you back to the parent post that I was replying to.

I just didnt understand the legion thing. We are absolutely not Legion. That was a host of Satan’s spirits possessing a man. In our pre-mortal existence 1/3 of the hosts of heaven chose Satan’s plan instead of Christ’s. They were cast out as a result. These are the Angel’s of the Devil referred to in the Gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke.

When addressed, it was the group of demons who replied, not the man. I’m not sure I’d agree that we are possessed with devils because of our sinful natures. However we are susceptible to the temptations of Satan and his Minions.

1 Like