Sunday Learning From The Scriptures

I liked the scriptures quite a bit, though I struggle to fully understand and comprehend the facts we learn. I mean, Paul taught us so much deep doctrine topics, and it can be hard to fully appreciate the little things. I liked what was shared, and wanted to say I find it something I take for granted too often.

Litteral sons and daughters of a Heavenly Father who is also our God. That statement alone is quite a bit to take in. And then I get thinking about this: if that is my Dad, then I also have the potential to become like him. That, also, means more than I may comprehend.

Just a cool set of scriptures; thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like

I understand the principle. Comprehend the depth of what it means, I guess is the difficult part. I understand that we as children of a divine Father and a divine Mother have the potential to become what they are.

There’s a lot of deep doctrine in this. God reigns over our universe, yes. But, among the greatest minds of the world, many believe in multiple universes where alternate realities may exist. I believe that these other universes exist that gods may procreate and expand a divine species.

Thus, we each, as God’s children learn in this life how to obey His commands to learn eternal principles that guide us in our expanded education toward perfection beyond this mortal life. Which would naturally lead toward Godhood and our own ability to create our own spiritual children in turn.

1 Like

Interesting thoughts. Deep doctrine for sure haha! But quite interesting :slight_smile:

1 Like

Romans 2:17–29
My outward actions must reflect and increase inner conversion.

Paul’s teachings show that some of the Jewish Christians in Rome still believed that obedience to the rites and rituals of the law of Moses brought salvation. This may seem like a problem that doesn’t apply anymore since we don’t live by the law of Moses. But as you read Paul’s writings, especially Romans 2:17–29, think about your own efforts to live the gospel. Are your outward performances, such as taking the sacrament/communion, leading you to conversion and strengthening your faith in Christ? How can you ensure that your outward actions are leading to a change of heart?

1 Like

Another reference to our outward performances can be found in the Book of Mormon, Alma 25:15-16.

15 Yea, and they did keep the law of Moses; for it was expedient that they should keep the law of Moses as yet, for it was not all fulfilled. But notwithstanding the law of Moses, they did look forward to the coming of Christ, considering that the law of Moses was a type of his coming, and believing that they must keep those outward performances until the time that he should be revealed unto them.
16 Now they did not suppose that salvation came by the law of Moses; but the law of Moses did serve to strengthen their faith in Christ; and thus they did retain a hope through faith, unto eternal salvation, relying upon the spirit of prophecy, which spake of those things to come.

1 Like

Well said man and so very true!

2 Likes

I’m just ahead in Romans 6:4. I like the ending of the verse where it says that we “should walk in newness of life.” I think it’s is cool to know that, as we are change and are forgiven for our sins and transgressions, we truly can move on and begin a new life. This means we can move on from the past and live our lives without need to look back, which sounds amazing to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Romans 8:17–39
The eternal glory that awaits the faithful far outweighs the trials of mortality

Just a few years after Paul wrote this epistle, the Saints in Rome suffered horrific persecutions. What do you find in Romans 8:17–39 that might have helped these Saints when persecution came? How might these words apply to you and the trials you currently face?

Look for connections between these verses and this counsel from Sister Linda S. Reeves in one of my church’s publications: “I do not know why we have the many trials that we have, but it is my personal feeling that the reward is so great, so eternal and everlasting, so joyful and beyond our understanding that in that day of reward, we may feel to say to our merciful, loving Father, ‘Was that all that was required?’ I believe that if we could daily remember and recognize the depth of that love our Heavenly Father and our Savior have for us, we would be willing to do anything to be back in Their presence again, surrounded by Their love eternally. What will it matter … what we suffered here if, in the end, those trials are the very things which qualify us for eternal life and exaltation in the kingdom of God with our Father and Savior?” (“Worthy of Our Promised Blessings,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2015, 11

1 Like

1 Corinthians 6:13–20
My body is sacred

Most people in Corinth felt that sexual immorality was acceptable and that their bodies were made primarily for pleasure. In other words, Corinth was not that different from the world today. What did Paul teach in 1 Corinthians 6:13–20 that could help you explain to others why you want to live a chaste life?

1 Like

I love this :slight_smile: This gives me hope :slight_smile:

1 Like

This one relates to my addiction, actually. I often have wondered how to express this to others, myself. It seems so natural to me, and I imagine others feel the same way.

After all this time, the only way I can answer this is to invite them to think about this: The more pure we are in our thoughts, actions, and behavior, the greater we are able to truly give and receive true love. For this reason, alone, I wish to live a chaste life. :slight_smile:

1 Like

1 Corinthians 10:1–13
God provides a way to escape temptation

Spiritual experiences, even miraculous ones, do not exempt us from temptations that are “common to man” (1 Corinthians 10:13). That may be one reason Paul wrote about how the Israelites in Moses’s day struggled with temptation, even though they witnessed mighty miracles (see Exodus 13:21; 14:13–31). As you read 1 Corinthians 10:1–13, what warnings in the Israelites’ experiences seem applicable to you? What kinds of “escape” from temptation has Heavenly Father provided for you? (see also Alma 13:27–30; 3 Nephi 18:18–19)

1 Like

1 Corinthians 15:1–34, 53–58
Jesus Christ gained victory over death

The Resurrection of Jesus Christ is so fundamental to Christianity, one might say that without it there is no Christianity—to use Paul’s words, “then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain” (1 Corinthians 15:14). Yet some of the Corinthian Saints were teaching that there would be “no resurrection of the dead” (1 Corinthians 15:12). As you read Paul’s response in 1 Corinthians 15, take a moment to ponder how your life would be different if you did not believe in the Resurrection. How has it blessed you? What blessings will come to you because Jesus Christ was resurrected? (see 2 Nephi 9:6–19; Alma 40:19–23; Doctrine and Covenants 93:33–34). What does the phrase “If Christ be not raised, your faith is vain” mean to you? (verse 17).

3 Likes

2 Corinthians 2:5–11
I receive blessings and bless others when I forgive

We don’t know much about the man Paul referred to in 2 Corinthians 2:5–11—only that he had transgressed (see verses 5–6) and that Paul wanted the Saints to forgive him (see verses 7–8). Why do we sometimes fail to “confirm [our] love toward” someone who has offended us? (verse 8). How does withholding forgiveness harm others and ourselves? (see verses 7, 10–11). What does it mean to you that withholding forgiveness from others gives “Satan … an advantage of us”? (verse 11)

2 Likes

I know I like to withhold forgiveness and love when I am still hurt or bitter about something. It’s funny, though, because that anger and hatred sits within you and eats at you more than anything else; it’s poisonous, really. I find that when we forgive others, we can finally start to move on in ways that was not previously possible.

1 Like

I’ve held grudges before. Real grudges for actual offenses that truly hurt myself and my family. The grudge never helped, it only worsened the pain of it. I’m much happier now that I’ve let it go.

How can we qualify to have the spirit with is when we are angry with our brother. Satan doesnt need us to go do heinous crimes/sins. All he needs is for us to be complacent, hold grudges, indulge in things that chase the spirit away, be comfortable Christians. I wont be that way.

1 Like

2 Corinthians 12:5–10
The Savior’s grace is sufficient to help me find strength in my weakness

We don’t know what Paul’s “thorn in the flesh” was, but it’s easy to relate to his desire to have it removed. We all have challenges and problems that the Lord has not seen fit to remove from our lives. Think about your own challenges as you read 2 Corinthians 12:5–10. What did Paul teach about weakness? What does it mean to you that God’s grace is sufficient for you? How have you experienced God’s strengthening power?

1 Like

Also, I’d like to reference a scripture from The Book of Mormon, Ether 12:27

“And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.”

1 Like

Cool cross reference; I just took a note for that :slight_smile:

In regards to notes, I have something I could share. It’s from Richard G. Scott: “Knowledge carefully recorded is knowledge available in time of need.”

1 Like

Good quote!

1 Like