Sunday Learning From The Scriptures

Galatians 1–5
The law of Christ makes me free

Paul wrote to the Galatian Saints when he learned they were being led astray by false teachings. One of these teachings was that in order to be saved, Gentiles who had accepted the gospel needed to be circumcised and to keep other traditions of the law of Moses. Paul called these traditions “the yoke of bondage” (Galatians 5:1) because they were preventing the Saints from fully living the law of Christ, which brings true freedom. What do you find in Paul’s counsel to the Galatians that can help you understand what true freedom is? You could also ponder what yokes of bondage might exist in your life. Is there anything that is preventing you from experiencing the freedom that the gospel offers? How have Christ and His gospel “made [you] free”? (Galatians 5:1).

2 Likes

This weekend, the prophet and apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints are speaking and preaching to the world. There are several sessions today and tomorrow. I’d invite anyone to listen and learn.

1 Like

I enjoyed conference. I like how they talked about Christ in many of the talks. A good reminder of how great his goodness is and what he’s done for me. Applying these things to my addiction seems to make them easier to overcome, as well. I plan to strive to keep the spirit as long as I can!

1 Like

Ephesians 5:21–6:4
I can strengthen my family relationships

As you read Ephesians 5:21–6:4, what thoughts come to you about how to strengthen your family relationships?

It is important to note that Paul’s words in Ephesians 5:22 were written in the context of the social customs of his era. Prophets and apostles today teach that men are not superior to women and that spouses should be “equal partners” (see “The Family: A Proclamation to the World,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2017, 145). Even so, you can still find relevant counsel in Ephesians 5:23–33, especially if you are married or preparing for marriage. For example, how does Christ show His love for the Saints? What does this imply about how husbands should treat their wives? What messages do you find for yourself in these verses?

@englishd you as a freshly married bro ought to benefit from this.

1 Like

Corinthians 12:5–10
The Savior’s grace is sufficient to help us find strength in our weakness

What would you say to a friend who has prayed for relief from a physical infirmity but feels that this prayer is not being answered? Ponder this question as you read 2 Corinthians 12:5–10. Share your insights from these verses that might help in this situation. Share experiences when, through Jesus Christ’s grace, you found strength in weakness. How did that experience influence your life?

1 Like

Thessalonians 3:9–4:12
As I follow Jesus Christ, I can become holy

We all hope that at “the coming of our Lord,” we will be able to stand before Him with “hearts unblameable in holiness before God” (1 Thessalonians 3:13). What did Paul teach about becoming more holy in 1 Thessalonians 3:9–13; 4:1–12?

1 Like

2 Timothy
God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind

2 Timothy is believed to be the last epistle Paul wrote, and it seems that he knew his time on earth was short (see 2 Timothy 4:6–8). As you read this epistle, think about how Timothy might have felt knowing that he might soon be without his trusted mentor and leader. What did Paul say to encourage him? What do Paul’s words teach you about facing your own trials and fears?

2 Likes

Just found this thread as I head to bed. I’m going to try to read 2 Timothy tomorrow and see if I have any insight into your questions.

1 Like

Excellent! Hope you’re able to find spiritual insight and you would be willing to share with us your impressions.

Hebrews 3:7–4:11
In order to receive God’s blessings, I must “harden not” my heart

Even though they had been converted to Christianity, some of the Jewish Saints found it difficult to fully accept the gospel of Jesus Christ and its blessings. By retelling the story of the ancient Israelites, Paul hoped to persuade the Jews to avoid the mistake their ancestors made—rejecting God’s blessings because of unbelief. (You can read the story Paul alluded to in Numbers 14:1–12, 26–35.)

Consider how Hebrews 3:7–4:11 might apply to you. To do this, you might ponder questions like these:

How did the Israelites provoke the Lord? (see Hebrews 3:8–11). What are the consequences of having a hard heart?

When have I allowed my heart to become hardened? Are there any blessings God wants to give me that I am not receiving because of a lack of faith?

What can I do to develop a soft and contrite heart? (see Ether 4:15; Proverbs 3:5–6; Alma 5:14–15).

2 Likes

Hebrews 9:1–10:22
Ancient and modern ordinances point to Jesus Christ

The original Hebrew readers of this epistle would have been very familiar with the ancient tabernacle and the ordinances Paul described. But some did not fully recognize that the purpose of these ordinances was to point to the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

In biblical times, on a yearly holiday called the Day of Atonement, a high priest entered the holiest place (or Holy of Holies) in the Jerusalem temple and sacrificed a goat or lamb to atone for the sins of Israel. Paul explained that Jesus Christ is a high priest who offers a single sacrifice—His own life—to atone for the sins of the world (see Hebrews 9:24–10:14).

Think about the ordinances you participate in today. How do these ordinances point you to Jesus Christ?

1 Like

The big one for me that I often take for granted is The Sacrament. It’s probably because I participate in it weekly, but even though I try not to take it for granted I often do. This, however, is symbolic of what Jesus Christ has done for me personally (all of us, really), and remembering that more often brings me a sense of thankfulness. It was something I couldnt do for myself, so I am very grateful he would do it for me.

1 Like

James 1:3–8, 21–25; 2:14–26; 4:17
Faith requires action

How do you know if you have faith in Jesus Christ? How do your works demonstrate your faith in God? Think about these questions as you study James’s teachings about faith. It might be interesting to also read about Abraham and Rahab, two examples James mentioned (see Genesis 22:1–12; Joshua 2). How did they show that they had faith in God?

Reading James 1:3–8, 21–25; 2:14–26; 4:17 may help you think of ways you could be a better doer of the word. Record any impressions you receive, and make plans to act on them.

Also reference the Book of Mormon: Alma 34:27–29; 3 Nephi 27:2

1 Like

Spot on this is so to the real point I believe.thankyou

2 Likes

Peter 3:18–20; 4:1–6
The gospel is preached to the dead so they can be judged justly

One day, each person will stand at the judgment bar and “give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead” (1 Peter 4:5). Some might wonder how God can judge all people fairly when their opportunities to understand and live the gospel are so different. Notice the doctrine that Peter taught in 1 Peter 3:18–20; 4:6 to help the Saints in his day understand that God’s judgments will be just. How do these verses strengthen your faith in God’s fairness and justice?

To study this doctrine further, explore Doctrine and Covenants 138, a revelation President Joseph F. Smith received as he pondered these writings of Peter. What blessings come to those who make the ordinances of the gospel available to their family members who have died and are still waiting for these ordinances?
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/138?lang=eng

1 Like

John 2:24–3:3
I can become like Jesus Christ

Does the goal of becoming Christlike ever seem too lofty to you? Consider John’s encouraging counsel: “Little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence … [and] we shall be like him” (1 John 2:28; 3:2). What do you find in 1 John 2:24–3:3 that gives you confidence and comfort as a disciple of Jesus Christ? As you study John’s epistles, look for other principles or counsel that can help you in your effort to become more Christlike.

1 Like

Revelation 2–3
Jesus Christ knows me personally and will help me overcome my challenges

The Savior’s words in Revelation 2–3 reveal that He understood the successes and struggles unique to each branch of the Church in John’s day. He reassured the Saints in several congregations that He was aware of, among other things, their “works,” “tribulation,” “poverty,” and “charity” (Revelation 2:2, 9, 19)—along with some ways they could improve.
These chapters can remind you that the Savior understands your strengths and weaknesses and wants to help you overcome your earthly challenges. What does Jesus Christ promise to those who overcome? What changes do you feel prompted to make to overcome your challenges?

1 Like

Matthew 1:18–25; 2:1–12; Luke 1:26–38; 2:1–20
The Birth of Jesus Christ

How can you celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ with your family?

1 Like

In prep for the new year, I’ve decided I will be posting teachings from the Book of Mormon. I thought these verses from Revelation would be applicable to discuss.

Revelation 22:18–19
Do these verses mean that there cannot be any additional scripture besides the Bible?

Some people have cited Revelation 22:18–19 as a reason to reject the Book of Mormon and other latter-day scripture. However, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland taught:

“There is now overwhelming consensus among virtually all biblical scholars that this verse applies only to the book of Revelation, not the whole Bible. Those scholars of our day acknowledge a number of New Testament ‘books’ that were almost certainly written after John’s revelation on the Isle of Patmos was received. …

“But there is a simpler answer. … The whole Bible as we know it—one collection of texts bound in a single volume—did not exist when that verse was written” (“My Words … Never Cease,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2008, 91)

1 Like

I’m glad you asked. Referencing the previous post, the bible was not compiled until a few hundred years after the breaking apart of Christ’s church. Therefore, the bible is not God’s only word. Many books did not make “the cut” to be included.

My decision to discuss the Book of Mormon aligns perfectly with John’s teaching, since it only teaches the word of God. You’ll find no contraindications between the two books of scripture.

It isn’t another Gospel. It’s the same Gospel. The Gospel is not the bible. It is whatever Christ intended to tell his people. I believe that Christ still speaks in this day.

2 Likes