Talking about "those who don't get treatment won't quit"

Hello all, so I’ve recently decided to quit alcohol before it gets worse as I can clearly see I have a problem. I’ve been listening to sober motivation that’s helped a ton, but I keep hearing stats about “treatment is the only option” which demotivates me greatly. I can’t afford treatment, I can only attend free meetings and such. The thought of needing treatment to quit otherwise I won’t is scary and demotivating. Any advice or words of wisdom regarding this?

Thank you :heart:

17 Likes

Ya that’s bs. Spend some time reading around the forum you’ll find all the evidence you need.

Welcome here!

Resources for our recovery

13 Likes

Read around here, there are many of us that didnt go to treatment. I worked really hard, participated in AA, now in Recovery Dharma.

10 Likes

I agree with @Faugxh, achieving long term sobriety is not one size fits all. There are many different paths. Staying connected with others in recovery helped me immensely. It still does. Many people like to attend groups in person or online. Some people attend inpatient or outpatient treatment. Still others take medications. Or people do a combination of this and so much more. There are tons of resources available, like those podcasts you are listening to. This forum. Books. Physicial activity. Meditation. It can all help.

The common denominators for me have been staying very active and engaged in sobriety, being open to other resources and ways of recovering and being part of a sober community. Plus…never ever giving up, even when I would slip up or relapse.

12 Likes

I agree with @Faugxh , bs. Keep engaged for as long as you wish, and revisit this site has been my main support. A few podcasts, books and YouTube. Never got treatment and have yet to attend any meetings, (though I may and haven’t ruled out), and so far am almost to 6 months just on desire and focus.
Getting into a healthy lifestyle helped immensely and keeping myself busy. Finding reasons to stay sober, like early morning sunrises, early nights to bed also is a big motivation.

You can do whatever it is you set your mind to… believe in yourself.

8 Likes

Not true, treatment isn’t that common in my country. It exists but the only ones who get it is pretty much the ones who get forced by the authorities. And most of them get back to addicted the very first day they get back out.

It’s not about treatment or no treatment. It’s about mindset, you can’t quit if you don’t want to quit. If you don’t have a plan. It has to come from within, not from the outside.

For some of us it’s a trial and error process, and the importance is not to get treatment, it is to not give up or quit.

8 Likes

I’ve been to treatment and free meetings. I can assure that the meetings have been far more beneficial to my sobriety. It was at meetings where I found fellowship. I found sponsorship. And then that led to me going through the steps. And the steps keep me sober.

Treatment was a great way to detox, but other than that I don’t think it was as helpful as AA.

9 Likes

Welcome. What have you tried so far? It sounds like you are quite early in your recovery. In my opinion, “treatment is the only option” for people who have exhausted all other routes to sobriety. If you have never tried meetings, etc, give them a really good go, with all your effort for 6 months or a year, and see what the effect is. If that gets you sober, great, keep doing that. If not, maybe think about paid treatment then.

5 Likes

I quit with the help of this community, aa meetings, a sponsor, and working the steps. Sobriety is possible, no money required

4 Likes

I go to therapy but its the same therapy as before i started and during active additon. Never gone to a day of rehab or “treatment” in my life. I’m ten months sober right now. Yes it takes works and therapy will help find the source of why you started in the first place and for some people treatment is the best option. Its okay to experiment with what works for you. Remember, this is YOUR journey and YOUR future. There is no wrong way to be or get sober. What works for you, works for you. People werent created identically. If we were… we wouldnt have addiction to begin with because we would all be perfect replicas of health with no trauma or weaknesses. Youll find what works for you. And until then reach out here for tips and advice :heart:

1 Like

There are many paths to sobriety but they all end in the same great place. Start today.

6 Likes

Very untrue. Almost 5 years sober here with just this place, podcasts, and sobriety literature (I do think meetings are a great idea though).

Getting and staying sober can be hard at times, but not nearly as hard as being an active alcoholic (that’s a shit life).

7 Likes

When i got sober only AA were i was so i went to meetings and its worked so far few years under my belt wish you well

5 Likes

It can definitely be done without them,ive done it without any treatment or meetings,i just ended up changing my whole way of life,i had a few things that kind of gave me the push that i needed aswell the last time i stopped,im not gloating here by the way,im just saying how it was for me,everyone is different with different circumstances and im not saying it was easy either because it wasn’t,a lot of relapses were involved,as always if you put in the hard work youll be rewarded

2 Likes

If by treatment it also includes self education, self learning and being open to listening to online advice, books and videos, then I agree that treatment is required.

If it means going to some sort of rehab facility, I’m sure that’s great and it can probably help a lot, but it is not a necessity, I am proof of that (three years in and going strong).

4 Likes