Telling people

Hi, so I am currently 28 days clean from cocaine and 19 days clean from alcohol :open_hands: however this week I have two social events involving going out for meals and other people will be drinking. While I am fine and strong about me not wanting to drink I am a little worried about what to say to people, as they knew I drank quite recently. I can just say Iā€™m driving or have other commitments after but I donā€™t want to have to make excuses forever. I might add that one group are mummies from my daughters school, so Iā€™m not very close to them and donā€™t want any judgement and the other person is a new friend who Iā€™ve only met once before so again, donā€™t want to give any negative vibes or have her presume the worst. My close friends and family know the truth and I have alot of support. Thanks guys

2 Likes

Start with no thanks and end it there too. You donā€™t need to elaborate.

3 Likes

Sometimes I take breaks from drinking and I just say I want soda or water instead. Period. Iā€™d never think poorly of someone who doesnā€™t drink, regardless of the reason.

2 Likes

+1 as ever to @CaptAZ. I find ā€œno thank youā€ goes pretty far. I was also nervous about this, but people are usually cool with it.

For the few who arenā€™t, Iā€™ll throw in a ā€œBut I am pretty thirsty. Do you have some water?ā€ kind of like @anon62920945 said. Gives 'em something to do. :wink:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve gotten much more comfortable just saying Iā€™m not drinking-and if theyre like yeah but you can have drinks: for the special occasion, just one etc Iā€™ll follow up with ā€œI just hate how I feel the next day, even one gets me hungover these daysā€. I mean who canā€™t relate to a hangover.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a whole host of reasons you can use. Early start in the morning, driving, just getting over a cold, on medication you canā€™t mix with alcohol, you donā€™t drink very often, on a detox and taking a break.

Stop stressing about it, just be confident with your choice and reason and people couldnā€™t care less, if they do, they likely have their own problems.

5 Likes

That way youā€™re not really making an excuse and you wonā€™t feel uncomfortable ā€œlyingā€. I have about 120 days sober, and now I just say ā€œI donā€™t drink anymoreā€. I donā€™t really use the words sober or alcoholic when speaking to normal drinkers. However if they press the issue I will say that Iā€™m really enjoying being sober and usually the use of that word subconsciously know not to press the issue.

2 Likes

Well said.

2 Likes

If you feel that you have to give an excuse, you can simply say that youā€™re making healthier choices in your life.

1 Like