Ten days . .

So I’m ten days in, kinda forgotten how bad I felt ten days ago and starting to have those thoughts of one or two drinks won’t hurt, it’s like this naughty little voice in my head justifying why I should do this? Even though I know ten days ago started with one drink and ended in disaster! Any advice on how to get past this?

2 Likes

Best thing to do is keep yourself busy. I found a drive, walk, video games, cleaning anything would help not want a drink for the first week or so. I am 28 days now and feel great. Head feels little more clear. You can get through this. Time heals all and knowing you are doing it to be a better healthier you is all worth it

4 Likes

I wish there was a way to bottle the crappy regretful feeling, so we could sniff it to remember why drinking is a bad idea. Have u watched videos about the way alcohol affects the brain? For me, understanding that one drink causes a temporary high, then mood falls back BELOW the original level, so we drink again to try to get our mood up again, but then it falls EVEN LOWER, and continually, really makes me not want to drink even one. And this is just chemicals in the brain, not, ‘maybe this time I will be ok’ chemicals will always work in the exact same way.

5 Likes

Tell me what is like 10 days ago, waking up to day 1. How did you feel that morning?

4 Likes

Ashamed, depressed, unable to cope, feelings of guilt and regret . . . physically unwell, overwhelmed . . .

Your already doing it, you already know its not the voice you want to hear so let it run on like a spoilt child with all the I wants. You don’t drink so its not an option anyway. I often have to grit my teeth and just tell it to fuck off. Like you the longer I go sober the more my ego says, well you’ve cracked it me old son, you can probably have a couple a week now and be like other people, :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:. Yeah right!!!

2 Likes

That’s what you need to remember, everyday. Write it down and figure out what you need to do so that you don’t feel that way again.

You can do it! :blush:

2 Likes

Print this out and refer to it when the craving hits.
It’s just not worth it. The longer it takes the harder it is to stop.

3 Likes

Sian, when the pain of change becomes less than the pain of staying the same, then we will begin to embrace sobriety.
AA has helped me immensely with feeling less pain in my life through working the 12 steps and nourishing a relationship with my sponsor.
Sometimes the meeting after the meetings are even more important. It’s the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous that has made the difference in my life.

3 Likes