Thanksgiving 2̶0̶1̶9̶ 2020: A Survival and Celebration Thread

Most if not all of my memories of holidays are of my parents drunk and Dad getting violent; I tend to glide past these days and make it a day of quiet introspection.
Not too deep but grateful of my life such as it is!

6 Likes

I seen a lot of turkey’s fly across the kitchen myself. At almost 60 now, I still don’t care for the holidays. Sad reminder of dysfunction at it’s worse.

2 Likes

We’re on the same page; years of dysfunction warped my perception of holidays.
60 here, at least til January!:blush:

1 Like

I think it’s twisted that WE should be made to feel uncomfortable for not imbibing.
I just say I quit… Happened yesterday and they kind of looked at me, I said I was drinking too much. End of story!
I mean, it’s our life so our choice!

3 Likes

I just wanted to wish everyone here a Happy Thanksgiving. I appreciate the people using this wonderful App. Even though I hold myself accountable for my Sobriety, part of me feels like I can’t let anyone else here down as well. Every single one of you here plays a roll in my Sobriety. New, middle and old a like.

That is what I’m most thankful on this Thanksgiving. Remember to enjoy each and every minute of today. Because we’re all doing this with a clear mind. I’ll definitely remember today for a long time to come. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Love you all ^.^

5 Likes

Happy Thanksgiving to all my sober cyber friends! Thanks for all your posts, I am not a frequent poster, but I have learned much from all of you!!! May the Lord bless you and yours this Holiday season!

6 Likes

60 January 11

I’m at my mother’s house, listening to her and my aunt have the same arguments they have had every holiday in my lifetime. They are absolutely trivial and of no consequence - and yet these two will fight like mad cats over the best way to season Brussels sprouts, which plates should go on the table, how much pickle should go in the deviled eggs… I hated the holidays growing up for just this reason. The usual, everyday craziness got ramped up even more.

Last Thanksgiving, I was still just trying to survive without a drink. I dont think I even processed much about the day except that I stayed sober. Today, I am so grateful for the changes the last nineteen months have brought to my life. I finally realize that all the fighting and craziness has absolutely nothing to do with me - and as long as I don’t pour gasoline on it or jump in the ring, I do not have to get involved. I can’t change them - I can only change my response. I’ve taken my boys out for a walk and to throw rocks in the creek, watched the Macy’s parade, made some Christmas wreaths, and in a few hours we will eat a big old southern Thanksgiving dinner. I see how I used to just add to the chaos with my incessant need to be right. Today, I have the knowledge that I’d rather be serene than prove my point. Today I get to make sure that my children are happy - and I get to wash a lot of dishes. I get to reflect on how I would not be sober without all of you. You helped me learn to live again…when I was so used to feeling like a failure at simply existing. Some of you have become so much more to me than I can ever put into words. I am so incredibly humbled and blessed that I get to walk this road with you. Thank you - for everything.

Happy Thanksgiving, y’all.

15 Likes

And PS…

How do y’all make your deviled eggs?:thinking:

1 Like

We are watching the new Grinch while the turkey is finishing up😍

1 Like

Jan 23rd here!

Day 37.

At our regular Thanksgiving restaurant. First time not drinking since moving to America in 2002.

Edit: my husband asked me to point out that as he’s a very supportive husband, it’s the first time he’s been AF at Thanksgiving … since 1975 :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Besides being thankful for the normal things in life, I’m thankful for my husband being supportive today and allowing us to stay home and celebrate by ourselves.

3 Likes

I’m thankful to all you Americans, giving me some extra mental preparation time thinking about my two days of Christmas next month. I will spend them having dinner with my chosen family on the 25th and my birth family on the 26th. I don’t expect any dramas but I do expect some serious urges. Will be my first sober Christmas in 40 years. You all have a great Thanksgiving however you are celebrating it. Or not. Thanks for being here all. Love from Amsterdam.

8 Likes

Me too. Reading up here with for tips for Christmas. Happy Thanksgiving to all our American friends. Have a good one!

4 Likes

Mine always had a touch of curry powder in them… Just that generic British concocted approximation of curry, Keens Curry Powder. :joy:
Not sure if that’s traditional, but it was for me :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I’m thankful for my awesome, amazing and supportive wife who never gave up on me through all the chaos I created. Without her I’d either be in prison, living on the streets or possibly dead. No matter how bad it got she always stuck with me and gave me the inspiration I needed in order to get healthy again. Today she made her first pie from scratch, apple cherry, my favorite! I wish everyone out there finds that special someone who gives you a second chance at life and gives you unconditional love and support like I have! Happy Thanksgiving everyone! :turkey::turkey::turkey:

7 Likes

Bless you and your family, Holly. You’re making me cry with gratitude reading this. :pray:

1 Like

Donna, I’m one day after you - January 24th here!

2 Likes

4 Likes