Thanksgiving 2̶0̶1̶9̶ 2020: A Survival and Celebration Thread

… and what plates do you serve them on? :thinking::joy:

2 Likes

Today she made her first pie from scratch, apple cherry, my favorite! I wish everyone out there finds that special someone who gives you a second chance at life and gives you unconditional love and support like I have!

Now that is a damn nice lattice pie crust! Apple cherry…mmmmm.

I’m happy for both of you. It sounds like a day filled with a lot of love and gratitude.

4 Likes

As the day winds down… I was invited to my sponsors house for dinner. I was invited in with open arms by his entire family and made to feel at home (as much as I could). It was odd to be with a family after having had to walk away from mine so long ago.

Also open concept houses don’t let you hide in the kitchen cleaning dishes.

Lol

12 Likes

That’s awesome @Bootz :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

Wish people around me were that happy when my guts let free…
Oh well, life goals, eh?
One day.

Go well!

4 Likes

Thought I’d made it through the worst of the Thanksgiving stress when I came home. Nope! For whatever reason, my old friend anxiety has decided to join us for dinner part deaux. Ugh…ugh…ugh…but I’m still sober and I know it will pass. It will pass - right? Just going to cook, wash dishes, and focus on making sure the guests are well fed - and check in with you lot…

6 Likes

It’s been a test for me as well anxiety and guest wise. Yes, anxiety will pass. Can you slip out for a little walk? Get some brisk fresh air?

2 Likes

Glad you checked in! Feeling any better yet? Hope you’ve been able to step away for a bit and get a breath. My understanding is that it does get better. Eventually. Never know exactly how long though… Really hope it’s passed. You’ve done so well the last few days!! Hang in there.

1 Like

Managed to survive Thanksgiving without a drink. It was difficult as everyone else was drinking. I had anxiety, felt dizzy and sick the entire time. 3 days sober. Going to push forward.

2 Likes

Well done making through Thanksgiving sober!! That’s a huge deal. Keep going. It gets easier. Promise.

@SassyRocks and @Jane.c - thank you for the check in and kind words. Yeah, I was not expecting to have today be the one that hit hard. I followed your suggestions and took a quick walk in between food prep. The people have come and gone now, although out of town relatives are around through Tuesday. I still don’t feel great, but I am still very thankful to have the knowledge that living through those tough moments beats the hell out of stuffing them down and trying to drink them away.

8 Likes

So the Bermuda Triangle is coming in hot in this hot mess of a year. Sober in the middle of a pandemic. Didn’t have that in the wreckage of my future previously. Guess I am going to have to take the zombie apocalypse a bit more seriously moving forward.

For many it is going to be difficult in not keeping traditions and seeing family, for others traditions will go on but with a couple uninvited guests that many of us drank at for years – fear and anxiety. No matter what it is – you don’t have to drink over it. You are loved and are worth a sober life. Those feelings suck – but aren’t going to kill you. Using again may. You got the love and support of this board in your pocket. Use it.

This thread will be going and who knows maybe the board can throw together a 24 hour alkathon for those in need? I have not done the zoom thing – but I feel that a lot of drunks are going to be in need of another alcoholic this holiday season. Just a thought for the powers that be in charge of it all.

Remember to take care of yourself in the coming days. Stay safe and stay sober.

Much love :goat:

17 Likes

I’m doing what I see as the safe and responsible thing – staying home. My Mom is pissed at me for it, but hopefully she can come to accept it rather than being resentful about it. She and her husband are both “high risk”, so there’s no way I’m chancing it…even if it’s just us 3. It really is just another day, after all. Not terribly bothered by it. It can wait until next year. There is more important things at hand right now.

I recognize it will be hard for many, not seeing loved ones, and I understand it. Just remember that it’s just this year, just temporary, and for the greater good. Most of all, I think it will lend itself to being a less stressful holiday season – so rest, relax, enjoy the time – whether it be alone, like myself, or with just those in your immediate household.

I’ll be watching American football and splitting a whole chicken with Chief, listening to music, and playing music.

3561c9f

12 Likes

Well said young man!

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words. I’m really sad I won’t be seeing my family.

Struggling to stay positive, but I’m still trying!

4 Likes

Nice plan. Great idea. Traveling on Thanksgiving sucks even on a good year.
I can’t believe the number of people still traveling. My step mother-in-law 87 has three grandsons flying home from 3 different colleges to Dallas for Thanksgiving. They’ll be at their lake house in Dallas. She hopes they will have thanksgiving festivities outside. She’s nervous about going but she says she has to go. :grimacing: I hope yesterday wasn’t the last time we talked to her. :scream:
I try not to judge but sometimes it’s really hard.

Football, Christmas decorating, putting up the tree and hanging with the pets sounds heavenly. We already have our Turkey dinner ordered for me to pick up at 1 pm so I won’t be a slave to the kitchen this year.
You and Chiefy have a great Thanksgiving. And for what it’s worth I think you made a great decision.
:pray:t2::heart:

3 Likes

Oh and bummer about the Raiders last night @TMAC
I really hoped they could pull off beating the Chiefs twice this year.
I’d be renaming my dog :rofl:

1 Like

Sadly it didn’t dawn on me until after like a year that I had unintentionally named him after one of my most despised rivals.

20201101_180736

I named him after a combination of Chief Brody (Jaws), as well as Celtics great Robert Parrish. Had to have some tie to Boston, right? I actually had the name picked out about 10 years before I even got him, as well as knowing that I wanted a Boston Terrier…thankfully it suits his demeanor.

3 Likes

Hopefully you and your immediate family can make the best of it. I’m sure you will.

A potentially helpful way of framing it just dawned on me right now:

Usually the holidays bring us together out of love. This year, we must stay apart out of love.

4 Likes

Ya I was thinking a big Raider fan wouldn’t like the Chiefs. Ever.
Back in the eighties we named our cat DJ. Even though she was a girl.

1 Like

Hope you don’t mind a little bragging here. When I moved to Texas in the eighties I always made the journey to the Spurs Celtics game. We stay at a hotel one night and Chief pulls up the bar stool next to me. I shit you not!! Like a doofus I didn’t know what to say. So I told the bartender I want to buy this guy a beer. Chief says “ I don’t drink beer.” I said said get whatever you want. I think he had a vodka. If he didn’t leave that bar stool I’d still be sitting there :rofl:
Saw most of the C’s in the bar that night. Except for McHale.

3 Likes