The Art Thread

I thought it would be cool to have a thread to share images of art we enjoy, specifically other artists rather than work we produce ourselves. It can be anything, paintings, drawings, illustrations, photos, sculptures, film stills etc. Work you have recently seen or old favourites. Try and add the name of the artist or what the image is if possible so that people can easily look it up if they find it interesting.

I recently spent an afternoon at the National in London and these 2 paintings blew my mind.

David Bomberg - In the Hold 1913

Degas - Combing the Hair 1896

And this is a still from one of my favourite films.

20200204_183542
Dreyer’s The Passion of Joan of Arc 1928

24 Likes

This is a famous painting called Hunters in the Snow by Peter Breugel, from 1565. It’s a fascinating backstory how these winter landscapes portray lifestyles of the time.

14 Likes

Yes, lovely stuff! Im a big fan of Bruegel. One of my favourites of his is The Tower of Babel.

13 Likes

Some Louis Bourgeois fabric designs.

20200204_212926

20200204_212957

20200204_213124

6 Likes

I absolutely love Mueck’s hyper realistic sculptures and the way they explore notions of the Uncanny, that fine line between the familiar and unfamiliar.

Ron Mueck Woman with Shopping 2013

11 Likes

My favourite winter landscape painter Van Avercamp (from a period called the little Ice Age in the early 1600’s)

10 Likes

6 Likes

8 Likes

Thank you for posting that. Was not aware of Ron Mueck’s work.

1 Like

Keith Tyson - My Ever Changing Moods 2019

19 Likes

Never heard of that artist. Looks a lot like my man Bruegel (posted above). Cool stuff. I live the scenes of ordinary people enjoying themselves (to the extent they could)

3 Likes

Yes your Breugel made me think of Van Avercamp (besides seeing the painting for real in Rijksmuseum last week). It’s from the same period @Abacus . Something completely different is the work of American Otto Berchem who’s a mate of mine from the time he lived in Amsterdam and we cycled together, he lives in Bogota now. Much of his work goes way over my head. I like his series of pictures of dogs in Thailand a lot.
chulalibrary1

8 Likes

Last time I was in Amsterdam I didn’t have time to visit many museums. I might be there in July, hope to find time for this kind of thing! I did see some Bruegels in Belgium and they were so inspiring !

1 Like

The Starry Night, by van Gogh

A big part of why I love this painting is Vincent, by Don McLean:

7 Likes

If you do come over we might visit a museum together. Would like to. If you do too let me know!

1 Like

Great idea! I will let you know

2 Likes

Jackson Pollock Number 8.

9 Likes

Ed van der Elsken, Amsterdam 1956

5 Likes

Hi one of my favourite artists is Pawel Kuczynski from Poland. I like the simplicity of his work and the hidden or not so hidden message in each one. Warning Trigger alert in this first one.

12 Likes

Faig Ahmed’s ‘Glitched’ rugs. So cool.

18 Likes