The Art Thread

As part of the look up festival here.

8 Likes

From this autumn’s visit to Paris: Gustave Moreau’s atelier, Antoine Bourdelle’s museum (the sculpture of a woman represents Penelope) and a photo of Goya’s “Volaverunt” (there was an interesting exhibition in the Petit Palais). I couldn’t resist though I really dislike taking photos of paintings etc. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

[Uploading: 20231022_172012.jpg…]

Apple art. :green_apple:

3 Likes

I was in Van Gogh museum today. Some of my favourite works are on tour with the exhibition Van Gogh in Auvers which is now in Musée d’Orsay in Paris so will have to practice a bit of patience to see them again.

Gave me time to have a look with fresh eyes at The Sower, a small painting that he did late in his life too. My mother had a reproduction in her little study. I never liked it. And always walked straight past it in the museum. This time it felt different. To see it certainly was my best experience today, on this dark and heavy day for me.

7 Likes

@Mno Beautiful painting, lovely soothing colors,glad you had that experience on a hard day.

Gustave Baumann (1881-1971)

Wild Horse Mesa, color woodblock print

6 Likes

Swan Feather With Seashells ` Henriette Wyeth c.1961, oil

IMG_3140

6 Likes

“Avian Holiday"
Adolf Dehn (1895–1968)
American artist

5 Likes

Hendrick Avercamp - Kolf players on the ice

5 Likes

4 Likes

Loree Forest
Gordon Sellen

@M-be-free49 I saw this and it reminded me of your and the dog girls snowy woods. :purple_heart:

3 Likes

“Happy New Year ! Artist : Lily Seika Jones”

6 Likes

“Maine Coast, Winter depicts Monhegan Island ` c.1909 Rockwell Kent , Museum of Fine Arts, Boston MA “

Rockwell Kent (1882–1971), Moonlight, Winter, c. 1940. Oil on linen, 8 × 34 1/8 in. (71.1 × 86.7 cm). Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; Charles Simon Bequest

8 Likes

These are beautiful!

1 Like

Once upon a time I was around Julian Schnabel for a period of time. Great admirer of his work.

Julian Schnabel, I’m a girl in your head and a boy in your bed, 1997. Oil, enamel and resin on canvas, in artist’s frame. Overall: 107 ½ x 102 in. (273 x 259 cm.)

3 Likes

Visited Stedelijk Museum today, the big Amsterdam museum for contemporary art. Saw the exhibit of Nan Goldin’s work. Didn’t know her and was blown away. I only saw half of the works and will be back next week to see the rest. It’s 7 different slide shows/movies with music depicting her life, her friends. It deals with life, with sex, with gender, with addiction, with recovery, with relationships, with abuse and domestic violence. And more. Half was all I could take. Her biggest work, The ballad of sexual dependence, touched me especially. This one picture from it I put under a tab because it comes with a TW for abuse.

Nan Goldin self portrait after being battered

https://www.stedelijk.nl/en/exhibitions/nan-goldin-will-not-end-well-en

2 Likes

It’s almost all old. I think. She doesn’t photograph much these days she said in an interview
I saw on youtube. No more people. Landscapes and skies she still does some.

4 Likes

Last weekend I went to visit to my AA friend I really enjoyed the increíble artist he is!!!

Step one

8 Likes

After my second visit this morning the Nan Golding exhibit, some expansion and correction on my previous answer: There’s six of her works on display, consisting of slide shows and movie fragments, mostly of her own pictures but not all, each with their own music score and spoken word. All of these works progress and change through time, with both the images and music being edited through the years. Today I was most touched by Sisters, Saints and Sibyls (2004–2022), about her sister’s suicide, her family, and her own mental health problems and more. The pic is Nan with her older sister Barbera who died in 1965.

4 Likes

Posted April 08, 2024, Total Solar Eclipse for many.

Solar Eclipse, 1851 by Bengt Nordenberg. @MrsOdh

4 Likes

This is actually a very famous Swedish artist.
And yet I didn’t know that he had made a painting about a solar eclipse.
Unfortunately yesterday’s eclipse wasn’t really visible for us here.

1 Like