The beginning of the making a better life for myself

For 20+years I have been drinking daily. For the past 3 years it has started to become a morning until night thing. Wake up, drink. Go to work. Leave work, drink. Stuck at home during lock down, drink all day. Every night thinking and planning on how to get out of the house to buy more without making it obvious.

I have forgotten what it is like to feel sober.

It is starting to affect my relationship with my wife. I get aggrivated easily by the end of the day. My daughters looks at me like what? (I am pretty normal to them because they has never seen me without a drink. And have never been a mean Dad)

I have reset this counter so many times. Have only watched from the outside. Never wanting to admit what I know is true.

With that. I may slip, but I want it out there. I love family too much not to try. So here is to day 1.

5 Likes

Hi Micheal and welcome! It’s not gonna be a cake walk but it’s so worth it. Stick around here and read or ask questions, comments, etc.
I’m pulling for you!

Hey Michael. Welcome to the community. There are so many resources here that will help with sobriety. Just remember to reach out if you have thoughts of drinking or just need to vent.

I went through the same routine for years. Work, drink, pass out, recover, repeat. I got very angry with my wife when she questioned my drinking. It took a long time to accept the support that she was putting out there. The more honest I was about my alcoholism and recovery program, the better our relationship became. Its no picnic getting there but it is so worth it.

I suggest taking a look at AA. I was very against it for years because of the God talk. Over time I was able to shape the program to fit my needs. You made a huge step by reaching out here. Good luck in your journey!

You sound determined!! :heart: I found it really helpful to read a lot on here and keep my focus on being sober today. Today is a great day to be sober!

And welcome!!!

Hi Michael! I am faily new to this forum and to sobriety as well. Working on day 13 here. My husband and I have gotten into many fights over my drinking, and I was always angry for him calling me out. I accused him of picking on me, told him “It must be nice to be so perfect”. Whatever would take the focus off of me. But I always knew he was right. I was embarrased, guilty and ashamed that I could could control everything in my life but this. Now, all I have left is my actions because my word has been broken so many times. We all sympathize and understand where you are coming from. Here’s to day 1 for you!

1 Like

Welcome and congrats on day one everyone starts from there, I was just like you. I drank everynight 8 beers and more on the weekend. Tomorrow I’ll be at 120 days sober, couldn’t be happier. When I first started I had moderate withdrawal symptoms, scary shit espiecally when you are not use to them, I still get them form time to time but not like before they are fading away. It feels better as time goes on, yesterday I went to a family get to together. Everyone was drinking didn’t even get an urge to drink, but thats just me I wanted to change. Good luck with everything if you have any question feel free to email me.

Back here again. Starting all over. It was June when I first posted and have reset my timer again and again. It is so difficult. The craving to just keep myself getting the jitters and shakes takes control of me too easily.

How long until that subsides? My wife sees and calls me out. I don’t like that because I know it is me and my problem. She used to drink with me and now she never drinks. I am sure it is because she doesn’t like and is showing me that it is possible.

Ugh.

Back to the dry out.

Hey there! Is there any chance you can check into a rehab or even outpatient treatment? Glad to see you back. The drinking you have described is very serious. You are in my prayers.

Hi.
I drink.
I drink more than I should.
7 days a week.
Morning.
Work break.
Night.
Love my family.
Drink.
Stories.
Forgotten.

Ugh.

What have you tried and what are you going to do different this time around? The definition of insanity for us alcoholics is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

2 Likes

Trying Librium to help curb off the side effects.

They are my biggest fear. (A tiny one, I know compared to losing so much more.)

My prescription will be filled tomorrow, they didn’t have any.

Super anxious. But ready and worried.

Wanting to get some community if needed.

My wife wants to support me. And will.

Hence turning to here.

Libtium is great for the withdrawal but what is your plan to stay sober? Maybe consider some type of program like AA and/or counseling. Here’s a link with lots of great information. Resources for our recovery

2 Likes