The D&D Thread

Just go with what interests you. That’s what’s so great about this. It’s really flexible. To start, just pick a race and class from the list like @C_8 said. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay then.

Name: Vega
Race: Elf
Class: Druid

5 Likes

You are all doing great. If youd like to, you can click on the links to each class or race and it has a description.

This is a very simplified version of the game. Normally the one I play has lots of rules with character sheets and calculations. There are a lot of customizations that players can make to their character, which makes it cool.

We’re not doing that. You’re just creating a character to flesh them out. Aside from that, you just act alongside the others. I will act as the NPC’s (non-playable characters; i.e. townsfolk, bad guys, etc…)

2 Likes

But, but … I just clicked on the race I selected (which was Elf, purely due to the hunky elves in LoTR)… and there’s war & peace length info on these suckers!! Are we supposed to know that stuff?

Also, I’m now feeling more like a half-Orc in the Barbarian class. Name = Petal :grimacing::joy:

3 Likes

How original! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

You don’t have to know all of that stuff. It is just helpful background info that lets you know what is usual and unusual for that race or class, which might help you imagine what your character might be like. I would just scan it for things that look important. Gnomes are around 3 feet tall — good for me to know, especially if I’m going to battle against humans or joining a multiracial track and field team. Some gnomes have a thing with hats — I could go through the entire game without that ever mattering.

4 Likes

Also, half-orcs often have stigmas against them. People see them as filthy half breeds. Each race gives you a flavor to your character.

Classes are similar to making your character come to life. For example, a wizard learns their magic from study and practice. They are students of arcane arts. On the other hand a sorcerer has magic running through their veins. They dont learn it, they just know it. These two classes would naturally come from very different backgrounds.

Something to think about as you role play.

3 Likes

Thank you!! I think I’ll remain as Glenderis, the Elf Sorcerer then :grimacing::sweat_smile::joy:

You know, as I weigh 90 lbs in real life :+1::rofl::crazy_face:

3 Likes

Never underestimate an elf, no matter what her size!

3 Likes

And with that…

There are pockets of civilization along the Lost Coast. Traditional Varisian campsites can be found in nearly every gulch and hollow along the cliff-lined reaches, and lonely houses sit upon bluffs now and then—domiciles for eccentrics or the rich seeking a bit of peace far from the bustle of Magnimar’s streets. Roadside inns grace the Lost Coast road every 24 miles or so, placed by virtue of the distance most travelers can walk given a day’s travel. Low stone shrines to Desna, goddess of wanderers and
patron of the Varisians, give further opportunities for
shelter should one of the all-too-common rainstorms
catch travelers unaware. Given time, any of these seeds of civilization could bloom into a full-grown town, or even a city. It’s happened once already, along the shores of a natural harbor nestled among the cliffs some 50 miles northeast of Magnimar. What was once a larger-than-normal Varisian campsite in the shadow of an ancient ruined tower has become the Lost Coast’s largest town: Sandpoint, the Light of the Lost Coast.

5 Likes

A map of Sandpoint

3 Likes

Name: Trav
Race: Sylph Half-orc
Class: Monk

3 Likes

I saw what you did there.

1 Like

I had to double check that you said core only.

1 Like

Welcome to Sandpoint travelers! Many people come through on their way along the coast. But, this week happens to draw travelers in because of the Swallowtail Festival! What is extra special this year is the official opening of the newly built Sandpoint Cathedral which had burned to the ground some years ago, tragically killing the late Father Tobyn and his beautiful daughter Nualia.
The Swallowtail Festival begins promptly, as scheduled, on the Autumnal Equinox. The square before the church quickly becomes crowded as locals and travelers arrive, and several merchant tents featuring food, clothes, local crafts, and souvenirs are there to meet them.

WELCOMING SPEECHES: The turnout for the opening speeches is quite respectable, and the four keynote speakers each deliver short but well-received welcomes to the festival. Mayor Deverin’s friendly attitude and excitement prove contagious as she welcomes visitors to town and jokes about how even Larz Rovanky, the local tanner (and notorious workaholic) managed to tear himself away from the tannery to attend, much to everyone’s amusement (except Larz’s). Sheriff Belor Hemlock brings the crowd down a bit with his dour mood, his reminder to be safe around the evening’s bonfire, and his request for a moment of silence to remember those who lost their lives in the fire that claimed the town’s previous church several years ago. The next speaker is scheduled to be local nobleman Lonjiku Kaijitsu, but a sudden illness has prevented him from attending the ceremony (this isn’t something that surprises the locals, given Lonjiku’s well-known dislike of frivolity and festivals). Sandpoint’s own showman Cyrdak Drokkus is more than up to the challenge of bringing the crowd’s mood back up with his rousing anecdotes. He delivers a not-completely-irreverent recap of the long process the town went through to finance and construct the new cathedral. He throws in a bit of self-promotion at the end, as is his wont, inviting everyone to stop by the Sandpoint Theater the following evening to check out his new production of “The Harpy’s Curse,” revealing that the lead role of Avisera the harpy queen will be played by none other than the famous Magnimarian diva Allishanda! Finally, Father Zantus steps up to give a short speech thanking everyone for coming before
declaring the Swallowtail Festival underway.

5 Likes

Numerous games and contests take place during the day, including sack races, games of hide-and-seek, weight-lifting challenges, balance beam contests, tug-of-war events, and the like.

What do you do?

4 Likes

A map of the town square.

2 Likes

I head over to the games of hide and seek.

I wanted to pick sylph too!!

3 Likes

I stay on the outskirts while waiting for the balance beam contest to start.

3 Likes