The habit is so hard to break

Yes I’m so excited to see my spirituality grow :pray: that’s the main focus right now since I feel like I’m going to see thing more clear.
I’m going be taking my dogs to the park once I get out of work to keep my mind of things :black_heart: hopefully I keep coming up with different things to do and find other ways that give me peace :v: thank you :black_heart:

2 Likes

Its worth coming back. Because you know that whatever you are going through you will find that most of us have been there and can offer tips on how to deal with things.
The most important thing to remember, as far as I’m concerned is, remember how much you want sobriety.
I found after going through all the shit, there was no way I was going to go through it again.
It kept/ keeps me from picking up again.

3 Likes

I myself In the past have changed my habit towards fitness and healthy eating, reading and writing, painting and drawing and going for scenery based walks. Just a few ideas kiddo… Keep on rising up x :arrow_up:

3 Likes

Day 4 nearly done
Only thought about having a drink once
But I have been keeping myself really busy
Just got to try and be positive for the weekend
I think it will be a struggle
Everyone’s ones support really helps

Meditation will

Edit- in reference to your post saying you wish something would relax you as much

Felt terrible, tired, in a brain fog. Just went for a hour long walk, drank a Coke, and now I feel better. It’s crazy day 2 I felt like a rockstar and I’m sure it’s because I still had some booze in my system. Here on day 5 I’m definitely feeling it. Hopefully everyone else in my shoes is finding ways to cope :+1::blush:

1 Like

Jus getting to the end of day 1 after resetting about 6 times in the last couple weeks. I managed to stay clean for 30 days in July when I first started using this app. The last couple months have been the biggest challenge ever,but the advice support and encouragement that can be found on here is astounding. To be able to talk to others who understand and dont judge is such a help. I’m trying to break a 20 year habit so I completely get how you feel…just know you’re not alone in your journey. I believe this is gona be 1 of the hardest roads I’ll ever travel down,but fingers crossed the final destination will be worth it :blush:

4 Likes

It definitely will and I cant wait to get over the hump. Good luck. I’m newer here but the next time you are debating getting a drink - post on here. People will help you through it!!

3 Likes

The brain fog is REAL. And I am sooo damn tired but can’t sleep.
I literally feel like a space cadet at work. Saying goodnight to day 4 :pray:

3 Likes

The feeling fades. I used to go to the same bar with the same people there everyday. And the first few months I was sober I’d be feeling like I was missing out wondering what they were doing. But a few months in I was thinking I know what their doing sitting on that same stool telling the same old jokes, arguing, getting into fights, being belligerent playing the same 10 songs on the jukebox doing lines in the bathroom wasting time and money. And I’m out here learning new things and not wasting away. Though to be fair mine wasnt just after work drinks at that place it was a full time job

4 Likes

Try drinking some kind of caffeinated tea or even coffee! It’s been helping me so much in the day

That’s exactly the perspective I need to hear. It’s literally a waste of time. In this last week I’ve done so much creative thinking that I would never get the time to think like this if I was always drunk or high

1 Like

@NikkiMoon, @JMAR, @Greentea17, @Minutebyminute,

You guys are doing awesome! Not craving alone.Taking it a moment at a time. Leaving the familiar. Embracing an unknown future that sounds brighter. I can tell this is extremely hard for all of you. don’t give up. Tomorrow will be better if you stay clean. Tomorrow will be worse if you don’t. you’re all doing great! Keep it up!

5 Likes

Sober class week of aug 18th?? Haha.

2 Likes

Seriously tho thank you

1 Like

Exactly. Create something to show for your time.

1 Like

How was your weekend??

1 Like

More reading, frisbee golf, bike rides and housework have been my distractions. Staying active and attending two to three meetings a week has helped me maintain control. My front yard is about to get the dopest makeover!
This app/community is helping more than I thought. It feels good have an online place to go and read about how others are doing since you, me and many others are not alone.
After work, call a friend just to check-in. Five minute talk will do wonders and confirm you’re on the right path.
Best of luck! :hugs:

1 Like

Freudian slip?? LOL

So, I’m sorry I missed this post when it was originally posted. My life has become a bit crazy the last few weeks and I’m not on here as often as I would like. So, if my response it repetitive or off the mark…ignore it if you like. :slight_smile:

To break an old habit you need to create a new habit. The first thing I would suggest is changing the route you take to get home. Even if it means travelling well out of your way to do it. But if you just don’t see those places you won’t be tempted to pull into the parking lot. Another suggestion is to find yourself a different destination. Maybe hit the gym or or yoga studio. Maybe just go to the park. Hey, maybe go find a place to volunteer, like walking the dogs at your local shelter. If you just do something different then what you normally do you might find that later you don’t feel that same urge to hit that bar. And finally, like Derek suggested…there is ALWAYS a meeting you can attend. They are everywhere. And just listening to other alcoholics can put you in the right frame of mind to get through the rest of the evening.

1 Like

Stick with it Nikki you are doing great. I replace alcohol with exercise. It’s hard but slowly but surely the transition is happening.Good luck on your journey, stay strong x