The Stand-Stephen King Book/Mini-Series

I read Stephen King’s The Stand many many years ago (the first addition …I know I’m aging myself LoL). I watched the original mini-series of The Stand a few times through the years…Rob Lowe, Gary Sinise, Molly Ringwald. But now, Amazon has remade it!!! I’ve been watching it every Thursday. So- if you’re a The Stand fan like me, tell me what you think of the new one compared to the old one!!!
1 Do you think Flagg is scarier now or then? Is either one close to how you pictured him in your head when (if) you read the book?
2 Do you think they did a good enough job showing the demise of the human race?
3 How do you like Whoopi Goldberg as Mother Abigail?
4 Do you think the first one or the second one is closer to the book?

Throw out any thoughts or opinions I didn’t cover as well.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen it yet. It is on Amazon now? Not CBS all access?

The Stand is one of my all time favorite books. I have read it probably 5 times and should read it again, so thanks for the reminder. I loved the original mini series, tho it did not compare to the book of course.

Alexander Skarsgard as Flagg should be up to the task and I imagine Whoopi would be as well.

Looking forward to seeing it!! I grew up in Maine and Stephen King was always (and continues to be) a force in the state. I actually found his wife, Tabitha’s, titanium AmEx many years ago in the Walmart parking lot of my home town. She is also an author and I have enjoyed her books. I haven’t read any of his son’s novels. I have read almost all of his. His character development is just incredible.

Thanks for the recommendation!!!

2 Likes

Oh my gosh! You’re so right Sassy! I have the CBS all access added on to my Amazon. So technically both LoL The Stand is one of my all time favorite books too. I think once you get done reading it, you just want to read it again. I totally would recommend watching the new mini-series. The character development is incredible! I think that’s what has attracted me to The Stand so much (although I like his other books as well) because I feel like I got to know the characters personally. You got me thinking I may have to read it again too Sassy! LoL I did know that he was from Maine. When I read The Stand, I broke out a map to find Ogunquit to see if it was a real place :joy: And I also haven’t read his son or wife’s books. I’m sure they’re good as well. As far as tonight’s episode, they introduced the Trash Can Man! That’s all I’m gonna say so I don’t spoil anything :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the tip Becky. I loved the Stand. Like you read it so long ago. Never did the miniseries. Been having a hard time getting into Stephen King books now though. Love him on Twitter. Thanks for the tip on the new miniseries.

I particularly like that book because as I was reading it there’s a part where they were walking on route 38 into New Hampshire. That’s right behind the house I grew up in MA on the NH border. That’s why I always loved reading his books back then.
Have a good night. :zzz:

3 Likes

Ooooo first I love the stand.

Then the green mile, and rose red. Oh and the golden years
But by far my favorite is the stand, now I’m adding it to the list thanks for the info @Dazercat

2 Likes

Appreciate it. but credit goes to Becky.
@Ravikamor

1 Like

What Eric? You didn’t see the mini-series?! Well you’re just going to have to do that this weekend Eric :slight_smile: You have lived in vast differentiated weather systems my friend :wink: MA to Ca to AZ…whew! I must warn you though, once you see the mini-series, you’ll want to read the book again! Big hugs :hugs: :grin:

Something to watch on those long cold work nights Christopher!
@Dazercat got my back :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I assume you have read The Shining? His follow up to that, with little Danny Torrance all grown up was Dr. Sleep. It touches upon his father’s alcoholism and Danny’s. I generally prefer King’s older work, but I really enjoyed Doctor Sleep, especially as it delves into alcoholism and redemption.

Also, if you haven’t read his book, On Writing, it is well worth a read as he discusses his alcohol and drug issues and the accident where he was almost killed. It’s been years since I read it, but it struck a chord for sure.

4 Likes

I read the shining so long ago but yes! Of course, so much better than the movie. And I watched Dr. Sleep! I really like it! And I was only Sober a few weeks when I watched it so I can relate more and more as time goes on. I am going to order On Writing from Amazon right now! I bet I can relate more now! Funny how your perception changes so much on this side of the fence :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Yes! I read On Writing while still drinking and doing coke, so I should read it again!

1 Like

I’m not a avid reader but I’m already interested

2 Likes

I loved that book and original mini series so much I’ve been avoiding the remake. I’m afraid it will ruin it.

Im listening to The Outsider right now and I’m loving it so much. I fear the new tv show will ruin it too.

2 Likes

They are making a show from the Outsiders?? OMG I missed that! What is that on @VSue?
Yes you should watch the new mini-series to compare :slight_smile:

I’m not sure what it’s in but here’s the IMDb

I’m sure it’s on a streaming service I don’t have. I can’t find the stand anywhere either. They said Amazon above but is that different from Prime Video? I searched there and can’t find it.

1 Like

Oh thank you! @VSue! I’ll check it out and let you know😉

I have read the book series and seen the tv series both where great I wouldn’t change a thing. Sometimes wish it would happen for real.

2 Likes

Have you seen the new mini series?

1 Like

I’m Stephen Kings NR 1 fan!! (Misery) :joy::rofl:
How could I do not know this? :open_mouth:
Do not know if I can see this in the Netherlands but I’m deffinitely going to try.
Thank for the tip!

3 Likes

Have not seen the new one!

1 Like