Therapy and sobriety 🖤

Had my first therapy session and confirmed what I had pretty much known about myself…

Anxiety :ballot_box_with_check:
Depression :ballot_box_with_check:
Chronic PTSD :ballot_box_with_check:

Next session we will be diving into my drinking history and how I used it to self medicate over so many years.

I am medicated now which has been so helpful and therapy just seems like the next piece to get to the root of why alcohol was so big in my life.

I’m nervous about this but also so ready to grow and take back a lot of what I have lost in my life since a child and now as an adult.

Has therapy helped you in your sobriety and if so I would love to hear it :black_heart::black_heart:

18 Likes

Woohoo positive steps!! Glad to hear you’re making progress and sounding hopeful :black_heart:

I’m in the Vivitrol office right now about to get my shot! Heck yea us for fighting this right!

4 Likes

Thank you! :relaxed::black_heart: we are killing it! :clap:t3::clap:t3:

3 Likes

I see a therapist once a week and I find it extremely helpful just having someone that I can talk to without any judgement and since I have been seeing her we are uncovering underlying issues and realizing why I have self medicated most of my life so I believe therapy is a big part of why I’m 7 months sober today

6 Likes

I have never seen a therapist but I’m thinking it’s time to seek one around me! I have heard a lot of positive things!

5 Likes

I don’t see a therapist now, but did about 18 months ago. It made such a difference to me, to sort lots of issues out. It took about a year on from there before I felt able to give up the alcohol. I was using it to medicate and only felt strong enough to handle my feelings once I had processed a lot of the extra stuff. Would really recommend a good therapist to everyone.

Well done on taking these steps. Really hope it helps. Prepare for it to be tough at times, it is one of the hardest things to face those years of pain. Once you process it you will come through stronger.

5 Likes

Today I finished 18 months of group therapy. 60 two hours sessions with seven participants and two therapists. It has been pretty intense.
I could never have done it when I was not sober. I wouldn’t even have gotten into it and it would haven been useless. It is an integral very important part of my recovery.
The therapy I have been doing is called schema therapy which was originally aimed a treating Borderline personality disorder, but is used for ever more people with other diagnoses too.
Anyway, we’ve been looking at unhealthy patterns and ways of looking at myself and the world and we worked on ways to have a healthier outlook on things and I made some great progress.
One thing that didn’t really get addressed was nice the sexual abuse I encountered as a kid. Might want to do some more therapy for that maybe.
Becoming sober finally opened up ways for me to work on my past and my problems. Like I said I see it as an essential part of my recovery. Work. But good work. Glad you’re working on yourself too @anon42928441 :hugs:

4 Likes

So happy to hear that you are doing some serious self care.

Therapy has been a large part of my recovery for the last 7 years. I have done a few different types of therapy but currently I am 2/3 of the way through a DBT group. I also have some 1 on 1 sessions with a psycho therapist and an addictions counselor. I will take allllllll the therapy offered to me, the more tools the better as far as I am concerned.

:orange_heart::dizzy::seedling:

5 Likes

Yes, i can vouch that therapy does help. I actually met up with mine this morning for the first time since Dec and it was so great to fill him in on the life changes I have had. I told him about my sobriety journey that i didnt talk about before and he congradulated me on my 40 days and helping me regulate my emotions that have been out of whack for the last month. Next session is next thursday and im glad to be going back :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My therapist suggested vivitrol to me this morning. How do you like it and how does it effect you? Ive never been on medication other than birth control so im nervous about side effects

2 Likes

Therapy didn’t help my addiction, it helped me

My therapist was nothing short of phenomenal, and we addressed my addiction but we also addressed my issues. Why I am the way I am, why I refuse to attach to people, let people in,

Things I’m supposed to work on to get myself to be a better human, etc. I’m kinda slacking on.

A good therapist will work wonders, I had a handful of them my one that I met in early recovery broke down barriers and worked wonders he was kinda harsh at times but when you took the minute to think about it he was so right. I often think of going back to him but he doesn’t take my insurance and he isn’t cheap. But very worth it

If you need a good blunt therapist that will give you a breakthrough he does zoom visits lol

5 Likes

Good for you! That’s wonderful news. Happy for you :innocent:

1 Like

So happy to read all the feedback! Really has brought ally of encouragement to my decision to start therapy! Even with the first session I was crying :joy::woman_facepalming:t2: But I really think it’s going to help me sort through all the trauma I have gone through and help me work on my control over my emotions and my life :black_heart::black_heart: thanks guys! You are ALL AMAZING!!

6 Likes

Therapy though,

If you really want it to work you gotta put in some effort and work I know, it tastes terrible coming out of my mouth. But that was the big breakthrough with my therapist Kevin, he gave me assignments and I had to work on them in my time. Very karate kid like

Yano paint the fence, wax on wax off, I’m like why are you making me do this

Just do it Danielson, and the following week he explains it,

He wrote a book, really good, as a recovering addict he gets us, I mean he has his spiritual portion in it, but didn’t cram his beliefs on others more of he’ll explain it in his own way, take what you need leave the rest kinda way

2 Likes

Yeah I could feel that hard stuff even on the first session. Hearing myself answer those hard questions was rough and admitting how much I felt about certain things. I’m very willing to put in the work. I’m trying my hardest to be a better person for my kids and myself.

2 Likes

I’m proud of you. Your putting your best foot forward and trying to make progress,

Remember what I said be the best version of your phenomenal self

1 Like

Thank you Chris! :black_heart: that means a lot to me!

2 Likes

I actually love it! When I was reading about it, I thought, there’s no way something can make me THINK about alcohol less but sure enough it does. 44 days in and I’ve only had cravings maybe 4 times? It’s awesome! The shot sorta hurts but it goes away shortly! As long as it is injected deep enough you won’t have a lump there! (The medication is a thick suspension)

3 Likes

I found a therapist that I grew to trust and did some amazing work with.

We completed our work together. She felt like we had covered everything and didn’t want to milk me out for my time or money which I thought was cool.

I carried so much blame, guilt and shame for things I literally had zero control over.

Freedom from that is the best gift I have ever given myself.

3 Likes

Ohh ok! Yeah my doctor has the pill version and he was just telling me about it and i said i would think about it. Thank you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes