Things hard to hear in early sobriety

When in crisis an addict has the tendency to blame everybody else but themselves. Any criticism or well ment advice might be directed to the bin right away. And the messenger…gets the looks. If you come to this forum you have acknowledged that you have a problem with addiction. I searched the internet for about two years (maybe way longer) before going to my first rehab. It took me another 3 and 10 years to come to this point.

Why so long? Maybe I’m just a stubborn pain in the ass. And did I really have a problem? Anybody thought I was fine. Knowing myself I had a problem should have been enough for me. In the beginning no one believed me, my family: just drink socially, my doctor: just start drinking after 8 pm, my colleagues: never noticed anything (when I explained something on paper I put enough pressure on my pen do the tremors weren’t noticeable), my mother: she felt and new it but powerless, a therapist at first appointment at 9 am after a binge night: you don’t look like a drunk. An ex: I don’t mind if you drink like this (was moderating a bit, but you might know where that let to).

Really? Never feeling heard or listened to is one of my underlying feelings. Leaded to very dangerous behavior, because on some appointments for help I took care that there was no doubt I had a problem. Showing up with bac percentages that should have put me into a coma…

In short :see_no_evil:: if you think you have a problem it’s your responsibility to deal with it. You own that in the first place to yourself. Of course you don’t have to do it all by yourself. For me it was a long process so far, for me I needed the therapists that cut through my bullshit of my addicted mind. You can find this type of advice here as well, but it may not be received good while in early sobriety. Only after this type of therapists I realized there is never an excuse to pick up the first one again.

Things I did’t like to hear but are so truth:

1. you have to put the work in it. What are you doing to stay sober? Me: euh don’t all the other people need to change :wink:. Just not drinking won’t cut it. Underlying issues need to be addressed otherwise you’re just a dry drunk. Nothing changes if nothing changes.
  2. relaps is part of the addiction and not recovery. Thinking otherwise gives you the easiest excuse to have that first drink over and over again. Why do you think they don’t provide behavioral and other therapies to people in active use?
  3. Everything you put in front of your recovery you’ll loose eventually. Rebuild my life about give or take five times. This became so truth for me each time I gave priority to something else e.g. relationships, work….
  4. an addiction is insane behavior. Me insane? Who the f*ck do you think you are? When this clicked it was as a real eye-opener. Doing it over and over again while I knew the outcome is just insane behavior. Continuing would have brought me to jail, an institution or to the graveyard.
  5. Only one thing needs to change and that’s everything. This is not done overnight and doesn’t have to be. Progress not perfection

And yeah, if you want to detox from severe alcohol addiction, please go to get medical support like detox, rehab or emergency room. It’s nearly impossible to get past 3-5 days cold turkey and might be dangerous seizure wise or lethal.

Please feel free to add.

:pray:

27 Likes

This is great stuff here Rob! Thank you! Care to add this post also to this existing collection I like to link for newcomers?
Advice for the Newcomer and Constant Relapser

:pray:

7 Likes

Great advice Rob!

2 Likes

Great suggestion! I linked it.

Thank you for a thoughtful post @Rob11 !

3 Likes

Great message and advice.

As with anyone who has suffered through addiction and “found” recovery your message really resonates with me.

It is sad and frustrating to see repeated posts like “I/We got this” only to see them back a couple days later with “I relapsed and don’t know why…”

Sad because I feel for them and want nothing more for them to find sobriety and the peace that comes with it.

Frustrated because it appears they did nothing to change their circumstances.

Anything worthwhile takes work. There is nothing more worthwhile than sobriety.

I ALWAYS “knew” I was an alcoholic but I was in denial.

Once I accepted that I was in fact an alcoholic, I then slowly began to accept myself and who I was. Then I began to and continue to do the work to stay sober. Every Day! I don’t give myself a day off. Some days the work is hard. For me, it is always worth it.

I want everyone to have what I have. It’s free but you have to earn it, on your own, every day.

:peace_symbol:

7 Likes

So many people are surprised and confused when I express that I needed to quit drinking because it was out of control. And yes Mom, I am an alcoholic.

Why didn’t they see my problem? Because I worked hard to make sure they did not detect my hangover symptoms. I worked hard to look like a casual social drinker. I also worked hard at being able to hold my liquor and keep up the drinking as long as possible. I was really good at drinking, so good that I got addicted.

Now I am working hard at the skills of sobriety. Very different skill set. It takes work and learning and yes, it is much more than not drinking. I got good at drinking because I was very good at avoiding my actual issues.

I love what you wrote. Thank you for sharing.

6 Likes

Being an addict doesn’t mean you are smart, special or cool. It means you are on a path to destroying yourself and everything around you.

Great words. Really all of them(words)

Thanks