Things that aren't things in the USA

So apparently the chip butty isn’t a thing in America…

And electric kettles aren’t standard kitchen appliances :exploding_head:

I also discovered today that allotments are known as community gardens.

Anything else that we should know about?!

7 Likes

Studded snow tires? Chains on tires? You have those in UK?

Also, you have that ‘crisp’ thing…is that like a candy bar or a biscotti or cookie or ? :upside_down_face:

Are you saying America doesn’t have studded snow tires or chain’s on tires? Or Europe doesn’t? Cuz America does for sure lol. I live in the mountains and we can’t even go over the passes without them in the winter. In western US.

2 Likes

One of my best friend is from Wales, her grandma lives there and sends her suitcases full of goodies and there is SO MUCH that we don’t have here. Really good stuff too. She’s got all the cool kitchen gadgets. Taught me about milk in tea, yum! My most favorite perfume ever she got me and you couldn’t find it in the US, unfortunately her last trip over there they discontinued it. BOO!

1 Like

Yeah, I had chains on my plow truck in the winter. So wondering if studs and chains on tires are done in UK.

1 Like

Some people get snow tires and they might do chains out in the sticks, but it’s not a thing here. We haven’t had any snow this winter.

Household plow trucks are not a thing here either. But you can track Scottish gritters called things like Gritty Gritty Bang Bang :joy:

2 Likes

No we usually just have winter tyres. We don’t get snow bad or for long enough

You can get them though just don’t see anybody with them

1 Like

Black tea with a splash of milk = builders tea and a staple for me.

5 Likes

I had no idea electric kettles were a thing until I started visiting family in Ireland and was old enough to notice (15 or 16). So much more convenient, absolute game-changer.

The amount of people I see in the US that just microwave their water is distressing. My girlfriend was one of those barbarians until I bought us an electric kettle. She has seen the light.

You guys also do breakfast wayyyyy better than we do here in the states. Your bacon and sausages made me realize that American breakfast is an embarrassment. Then theres the fact that we dont have black/white pudding.

5 Likes

Despite the years I’ve been here, I’m still surprised that butter isn’t a thing on sandwiches (and the variations) over here.

2 Likes

A. What’s the thing that cars drive on?

B. What’s the thing that folks walk on (next to A)?

1 Like

Crisps are fried potato snacks (our chips are your fries).

Biscuits are usually crunchy cookies. Is that what you mean? :see_no_evil::joy:

Road and pavement!

2 Likes

That’s what I call them :+1:

Not sure it’s the same here US) …

1 Like

I read green bins for composting isn’t a thing in the USA? Not sure if that’s right :thinking:

1 Like

I have no idea what I mean! Lol

2 Likes

So a cheese sandwich would just be bread and cheese?

1 Like

We compost on our own. It isn’t a mandatory or town thing where we live. But Florida is so warm and sunny we compost all that we can and use in our gardens.

3 Likes

And I hear Kinder chocolate eggs are banned

2 Likes

Tim Hortons. How do you even live?

4 Likes