Things that aren't things in the USA

Yup!! :nauseated_face: … and try asking for a cheese and onion sandwich :flushed:

Edit: Mayonnaise is an acceptable thing to ask for :grimacing:

1 Like

It’s a mix up here. I grew up putting butter on sandwiches and toast with peanut butter etc. I was shocked when I heard some don’t :open_mouth:

3 Likes

The metric system. :speak_no_evil:

I’ll see myself out.

16 Likes

Taps

(101010)

1 Like

Rubbish in the U.K.

Trash / Garbage in the USA

4 Likes

Hoover in the UK
Vacuum in the US

Tissues in the UK
Kleenex in the US

2 Likes

D1C52080-4456-4C96-8F5A-7E4DC5EA127F

1 Like

The UK is totally confused on this. Height in feet and inches. Weight in pounds and stones. Distance in miles. Fill up petrol in litres but use miles per gallon for fuel efficiency :thinking:

7 Likes

I usually call them tissues, but have heard them called Kleenex and have called them that myself as well. One of those scenarios where a brand name is so prevalent that it begins to become synonymous with the actual item itself (band-aid being another example).

OH! There’s one.

Band-aid in the US
Plasters in the UK

3 Likes

YES!!!

Zucchini in the US
Courgette in the UK

4 Likes

Not sure about the UK, but this one is Irish:

We don’t have the “immersion” in the US.

Immersion is what you switch on to get hot water in the shower etc. Then your Grandad yells at you for forgetting to turn it off and wasting energy :joy:

2 Likes

When someone talks about the metric system, I just think they are measuring in something random like cats

3 Likes

Road
Sidewalk

3 Likes

I would say boiler, I guess it comes from immersion heater :blush:

Depending on how old the boiler is, it’s not uncommon to get scalded and/or frozen if someone turns on the hot tap in the kitchen while you’re having a shower!

1 Like

Stones. Why? Just… why? Pounds are one thing. But stones? I imagine piling big rocks on one side of a teeter-totter and standing on the other.

3 Likes

13 Likes

I know it’s weird!

Don’t get me started on imperial currency. My dad got some old coins out at Christmas. Couldn’t get my head around it. Shillings, farthings, guineas, hapennies…

1 Like

There is one near my office but I haven’t been in. I will try it tomorrow. That gives me a reason to look forward to going to work :joy:

1 Like

Older generations still use imperial a lot for things here in Canada. They use kilometres and Celsius but are fluent in miles and Fahrenheit. They use feet and inches for height, weight in pounds (no stones), miles per gallon, inches and feet for vague small measurements and metric for anything specific, very small, or more than a few feet.

1 Like

tenor

6 Likes