THINK Before Posting

:100: I think that not only is it ā€˜okayā€™, but that it can often also be the healthier and more mature response. You are right on point.

@Lisa07 This is a good post.

13 Likes

Thank you for this reminder @SassyRocks. I have often stated that I will share my story or parts of it in the hope thereā€™s something useful for a soul. But I donā€™t like to give advice. I donā€™t feel itā€™s my place. I hope everyone reads what Lisa posted and what you added. We need to be kind and gentle. First to ourselves and of course with others.

13 Likes

Iā€™m still working on my application of THINK on my reactions to relapsing members, some of them many times over. Itā€™s not my place -or anybodyā€™s- to judge them. And they have just as much right to be here, and to get support as everybody.

And while it can be frustrating to see some people relapse again and again, itā€™s not helpful to be pedantic or patronizing. Indeed, when I have nothing supportive to say, itā€™s better for me to shut up and refrain from commenting. But I find it hard at times.

And Iā€™m not saying that obvious faults in peoples thinking -like when itā€™s clear itā€™s addiction speaking- canā€™t be pointed out. I will and I do. But at least letā€™s do it in a THINK sort of way. And saying it once is enough.

19 Likes

Who are we to say what is helpful and what is not? I think we all know that sobriety does not fit into a neat little box and what is helpful for one person is not helpful for another. I love the diversity of opinion, and approach, on this forum. We have rules to prevent attacking posts and the like, but I think sometimes posts that, on the surface, appear less than unbridled support and optimism have their place so long as they are not breaking forum rules. I feel like diversity of opinions has itā€™s place so long as itā€™s not breaking forum rules. I also feel like this forum is as supportive, if not more, than most other recovery communities, virtual or otherwise, and that even still, it is probably not going to be a good fit for 100% of people.

8 Likes

When people leave the forum because they feel unsupported because of an interaction they just had, it is a pretty safe bet to me that said interaction was not helpful. And this has happened many times.

16 Likes

Gonna play devilā€™s advocate because thatā€™s just who I am and what I do, but would if those same statements actually caused the person to look at something in a different light and make changes that were beneficial? Hindsight is always 20/20 in these situations, so yes, after the fact you can see that it is not helpful.

Even still, I am not looking at this on a micro level, but rather macro level. We donā€™t often know what is helpful or not until after the fact. I am not saying this to invalidate this post, but I think if we are all just giving the same cookie cutter platitudes without an alternative viewpoint then this place loses the diversity that it makes so unique.

10 Likes

I have always felt that if we can keep people here. Keep them active and involvedā€¦then and only then , once we get to know themā€¦can we discern the best approach to that person as an individual. Kindness, respect, ect generally keeps people around.

19 Likes

And what you do might help some people. It will be only my opinion that it doesnā€™t help many. I have gotten a lot of benefit from some of your shares, especially when they arenā€™t a reaction to someone elseā€™s post. When they are from the heart and about your experience, thatā€™s golden. I would love to see more of this on the forum in general, from everyone.

11 Likes

Oh that was just in reference to my response to Menno. I am just presenting a different view point. I was not saying that in relation to anything other than post.

6 Likes

And Iā€™m responding in regards to your posts more generally. But I hear you.

7 Likes

I donā€™t see that happening at all, and thatā€™s also not what weā€™re asking for here. Weā€™re asking for some consideration and kindness when responding to a vulnerable person.

11 Likes

What worked for me is feedback that is generally perceived as not supportive by most here, so that is generally how I approach people here. I had enough people call me on my bullshit that eventually I started to listen. Those who were hardest on me I often hold in high regard now because they cared enough to be honest with me. I may not have liked their feedback at the time, but in the end it was exactly what I needed to hear.

10 Likes

I love this thread @SassyRocks thank you :pray: (edit sorry @Lisa07 this is your thread! Oh man :man_facepalming: Thank you Lisa :pray:)

For myself, here as a member, I draw the line like this:

This website / this app (www.TalkingSober.com) is not a sobriety program. This website is a social community. For many members it is a space of learning and/or friendship, and thatā€™s wonderful. But it is not a program.

Attending a formal program of rehab or recovery is not required to recover, as some of this siteā€™s key members can attest. For some, this social space, this community space, this learning and sharing space, is a key part of their personal journey, and that is valid, and that is enough for them. Maybe they fashion their own programs, which is fine too.

This app is not a program, it is a social space. (Programs can be social spaces as well - most are - but not all social spaces are programs.) To me that helps me with my communications. Each thread is a room in this house we all share, and we can go from room to room, or even make our own rooms. Itā€™s social and conversational spaces.

15 Likes

I see it happen pretty much daily. But I agree on protecting vulnerable persons. Iā€™m glad this forum has so many people from all walks of life to offer support in so many different ways

9 Likes

I think we are talking about 2 different things. 1) how to treat people and 2) approach on getting a message across.

I can be kind and compassionte, yet blunt with the truth.

Maybe make a thread about aproach as this seems to be going that way.

7 Likes

Personally, I dont think an argument exists to defend someone who does not treat someone with dignity and respect.

This, in my opinion should be a given here.

5 Likes

I donā€™t think anyone is arguing that. Opinions can, and are, disagreed with, but that doesnā€™t indicate a lack of dignity and respect. If they did lack dignity and respect Iā€™m sure the post would be flagged as it would most likely be against forum rules

2 Likes

I think the distinction is important. As some people now begin their sober journey on an app, such as ours, vs an IRL program. What worked for people who got clean / sober ā€˜on the outsideā€™ and how that experience was seems to me it would be quite different than the experience of this app. How we interact on an app / online persona / community can be very different than IRL.

I have to ponder that some more. I appreciate you bringing it up Matt.

13 Likes

I think there are fine lines here. What one might feel is disrespectful or crossing some line might not feel like anything at all to others. Iā€™m not saying we have to be walking on eggshells, but some kind consideration is worthwhile.

12 Likes

I must admit I come and go due to negative comments on my previous posts before. I am no law reluctant to share my journey. I mainly read posts and respond now.

10 Likes