THINK Before Posting

THINK before posting and ask yourself is my response going to be received as:

Thoughtful
Helpful
Inspirational
Necessary
Kind

A few newcomers have been chased away by negative interactions. Everyone is welcome here and deserves respect and positivity, even those that are restless, irritable and discontent in early recovery. We were all new at one point and it’s easy to forget where we came from. Remember, not every post requires a response and if it’s against the guidelines, flag rather than condemn. If you disagree and feel the need to respond, please do so in a positive manner.

140 Likes

Thanks for the reminder @Lisa07

17 Likes

I remember feeling this way. I don’t really remember my first few posts. I’ve gone back and read them and they seem like they were posted by a completely different person.
I try to not post if I have nothing positive to add and I just scroll on

Thanks for this reminder! We want all the newcomers to feel welcome :heart:

24 Likes

I admit, I haven’t always been kind in my responses to people lashing out. I’ve since worked hard on pausing before responding and still have some more work to do. Progress not perfection.

23 Likes

I love THINK
Thanks for the reminder Lisa.
:heart::pray:t2:

15 Likes

Sorry it’s not possible to give more hearts for this! Thank you Lisa :heart::heart::heart:

15 Likes

I think we just want to share the joy of sobriety with everyone but not everyone is ready when they first come. There is a time and a place for tough love and it’s not always good in the early days. I remember feeling so sensitive and almost left the app but I stuck around cause I’m stubborn :joy::woman_shrugging:t2:
For the record, I don’t think I’ve ever seen you be harsh :thinking::thinking:

19 Likes

I’m grateful for your stubbornness since it got you to stay around. :laughing:

14 Likes

Thank you Lisa :pray:
Is there a way to place this at the top of the threads so all can see this as a daily reminder?

What a lovely reminder and something we need to be mindful of for sure. So easy to forget how hard the beginning was.

@Runningfree SO DAMN Grateful that you are stubborn and stuck with us. My journey is enriched with you in it.

20 Likes

Oh gosh i hope im not guilty of not thinking id be devastated if i pushed someone away from here

15 Likes

A very very good reminder, thank you :smiling_face:

14 Likes

“I’ve gone back and read them and they seem like they were posted by a completely different person.”
I relate to this one million percent…!

I remember feeling raw and vulnerable and I know I was overly sensitive and took things personally, but those were the early days for me. I’m so grateful the forum gave me the latitude to land on my feet.

Such a great reminder, @Lisa07!

We all belong here. That’s what makes it the special place it is. :orange_heart:

25 Likes

Kindness and compassion go along way.

23 Likes

Thank you Lisa.

12 Likes

Excellent reminder for all of us. I’ve stuck my foot in my mouth on a couple of occasions and felt bad afterwards, so I try to keep myself in check going forward. Thank you. :pray:

12 Likes

Thank you for sharing this Lisa. As a moderator I believe we see this happen way more than members realize it does (most members approach us privately and ask to be deleted).

I don’t think some members truly grasp how many people simply leave after a less than supportive interaction. Early days are so so hard and uncomfortable and raw.

We won’t know any more of their journey, share their triumph or tragedy, be supported by them or support them. They are gone.

Not every post requires a response or a judgement. If you are triggered from your own past, it is okay to mute or ignore.

Kindness and compassion literally cost us nothing and can help a suffering soul feel connected. We all deserve that.

41 Likes

Great suggestion! Thanks @JazzyS.
I pinned it for a couple weeks. I think the way that works is it stays at the top until a member either clicks on it or dismisses it.

11 Likes

ah thanks Lisa! :pray:

8 Likes

I realize it is serious and acknowledgement can lessen # of times it happens in the future.

17 Likes

Also mentioning people who are dealing with relapses. These folks are dealing with anger, guilt and shame, as well as ther other things you mentioned.

15 Likes