Third attempt šŸ˜¢

Well they say the third times a charm and Iā€™m hoping more then anything that thatā€™s true! I stopped drinking around this time last year the first time because I was hurting myself and the people around me. I quit for three months although stupidly I thought that because I had done so well I could try and control my drinking rather then stop all together. I was wrong. I started making all the same mistakes basically ruining my life again. So I tried to quit again but the temptation was too much and I only lasted a week :-(. So here I am again. On the back of a stinking hangover. My house almost destroyed because I lost control in a argument with my partner who Iā€™m pretty sure hates me now. I just donā€™t know how to get that self control and motivation like I i had the first time. Iā€™m scared of who I am when I drink and what Iā€™ll do. I donā€™t know whatā€™s itā€™s gonna take. But like I said Iā€™m hoping the third time is the charm :cry:

2 Likes

Itā€™s going to take everything within you to change your life. There is no shortcut. There are going to be hard days, long nights, emotional upheaval and perhaps the loss of loved ones or friends. Additionally, it all seems incomprehensible in the beginning but if you just keep chipping away it, youā€™ll find yourself right where you want to be.

2 Likes

Hi there,

I relate entirely to where you are at. This is also my 3rd serious attempt at sobriety after my first which was tapering and trying to control my intake and my 2nd which I situated myself in a poor place to be successful.

The first attempt, I lasted 2 weeks before I started with a bottle of beer before bed to ā€œdrowzy me upā€ which eventually led to clearinng out the fridge and cabinets within 2 weeks. The second time, I hardly actually attempted; I would drink on days off work which led to drinking 8-10 beers during my break and then ending up spiralling out of control to the point where I was 1000km from home, unable to tell the difference between drunk and sober and finding out it was July when I thought it was late April, broke, homeless.

Im 200 days today clean and sober and fully aware of what date and month it is. If you recognise the fact that you cannot drink moderately and have a healthy relationship with alcohol, its best that you donā€™t have one at all. Drugs and alcohol took 11 years of my life and I wont let them take another day. What plan do you have in place? If you had 3 successful months at sobriety, you were doing something right. Be strong and have heart. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Third time lucky! But really no luck to it its all down to you :slight_smile: you can do it.
Moderation is not an option our brains are just not wired that way!

2 Likes

Maybe a meeting meeting will help wish you well

1 Like

Good for you for keeping trying and learning that just a couple or controlling your drinking is never going to happenā€¦no matter how much we wish or think this time will be different.

But you know when it WILL be different? When you are sober? I know those early days can be rough, but for me, keeping my focus on the day at handā€¦sometimes the minute at handā€¦is what got me to where I amā€¦just plugging along each day and staying sober on the one day that mattered, today. Stay sober today.

Way to keep trying!:hugs:

2 Likes

Hi Rich relapse makes you stronger. Recognising you have a problem is half the battle. This time face the challenge with strenght, focus and determination to change into a better and a better you. Good luck my friend stay strong.

1 Like