This is a yes or no poll

So I have been sober for 2 years and recently I have had a hard time sleeping. So I went the medicine cabinet to grab a sleep aide and I went for zquil not nyquil thinking it was none alcoholic due it says it’s none habit forming. After I had taken the suggested dose I realize it wasn’t alcohol free.It was totally by accident and me having a dumb moment. Would this be considered a relapse or not.

2 Likes

For me personally I would say no. As long as you didn’t realize that it contained alcohol, did not knowingly down the bottle to achieve a drunk I’d not count this as a relapse.

10 Likes

No :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

No. If you dont fill the urge to go out and drink, then are fine…

2 Likes

No not at all.

2 Likes

. It will help you to know that if the medicine says elixir it has alcohol in it. You have to be careful with cough medicines to.but in your case i woudnt worry not a slip , doing great on 2 years

4 Likes

Nope! Unfortunately a lot of things have alcohol, but the amount is ridiculously low. If you pounded a shot of whiskey to sleep, then yes.

2 Likes

No, sounds like an accident…

To my understanding a ‘slip’ is purposefully & knowingly, choosing to drink alcohol during one occasion, regretting it & getting right back on the wagon.

Whereas a ‘relapse’ is purposefully & knowingly choosing to walk away from your recovery for a length of time.

8 Likes

No way was that a relapse. Don’t worry.

3 Likes

For me, absolutely not. It was an honest mistake. No worries.

2 Likes

I vote no as well

2 Likes

Not a relapse in my book! It was accidental and youre not continuing to take it…

1 Like

No not at all. Your intent was to go with something that did not contain alcohol so you are in the clear.

1 Like

No. The alcohol intake was purely unintentional. Your intention was to take an OTC sleep aid, not drink a shot of alcohol. Not a relapse.

I would however, encourage you to be mindful of OTC medicines in general, and those known to contain intoxicants specifically. I avoid them. I take tumeric (the spice, in capsule form) for pain daily, and for acute pain, I use ice. For a cough, I use honey and lemon. For congestion, I use a neti pot.

Prescription medications are a different matter, so be discussed with your doctor. Whenever my doctor says he wants to prescribe something, I first ask if there is a natural alternative, or if there is something I can do diet or exercise-wise to address the issue. If there is, then this is what I try, first. Still, prescriptions are a “last resort” sort of thing for me.

4 Likes

Nope! I had the same problem when I had a cold last year. I felt so yucky, I didn’t even think about what I was taking.
I came to the forum, and got the same response. You are good. :blush:

3 Likes

10 Likes

I like your nuanced approach here. My last relapse was indeed a relapse, by this definition.

Day 235, getting better at getting better.

3 Likes

Wow thank you guys and gals for all your support it means a lot to me.

1 Like

Nope, not at all!!!

Not at all it was not intentional. Sleeping is hard when you first are getting clean you might want to talk to your doctor about a sleep aid that’s my opinion tho…