"This Naked Mind" Book Club Discussion

Rolling.my.eyes.

Thatā€™s just so ridiculous! Fitvine? Get the fuck out of here! I donā€™t know why that makes me so angry.

1 Like

Because itā€™s so effing ridonculous!!!

True word sister.

That statement ā€œdrink cleanā€ ā€¦ for the luv ā€¦smh

Have you seen that now they have Hard Sparkling Water? IS NOTHING SACRED ANYMORE? Haha, when I was drinking I thought my Miller Light was just hard sparkling water.

1 Like

Havenā€™t seen it but dont doubt it. Savvy marketing. Oh so cool. Blerg!!!

1 Like

Hey All, just wanted to let you know that I signed up for a free webinar hosted by Annie Grace discussing the science and myths behind alcohol. Itā€™s this Thursday 3 pm EDT. I found it because I follow This Naked Mind on Instagram, but Iā€™m sure itā€™s on her site and can be googled as well. While I didnā€™t love the book, I figure the webinar canā€™t hurt!

3 Likes

I just got off of Annie Graceā€™s webinar talking about This Naked Mind and moderation. To be honest, she really only recalled what she said in the book. I was hoping it was going to be more interactive, but it was rather repetitive and seemed to be more of an add for buying her coaching. Just my opinion. I donā€™t know if anyone else listened live. I figured it was worth a shot.

2 Likes

I thought the same thing, Hope. She had one on Tuesday as well and, though the topic was different, the first quite a bit was the same as this one. And a commercial inviting you to spend $800. I was disappointed, I think Iā€™ll stick with the book and this app.

3 Likes

Same here @bxh Bryan. Again I found her use of statistics and ā€œscienceā€ as more than a little misleading, but I do agree with her overall sentiment. For me, I get more out of coming here and talking to you guys than I would spending all that money on her private coaching.

2 Likes

Her private coaching optionā€¦ made me laugh ā€¦ shes a marketing pro by trade ā€¦ well ā€¦ I ainā€™t buyingā€¦ bye. Heh

3 Likes

Good book!

2 Likes

I am a third of the way through the book. It really resonates with me as my professional life is similar to herā€™s and my problem began with excessive wine at night. Iā€™m disappointed with lack of reference to her stats, however, I do think she is right on about conscious/unconscious disconnect. Reading this book is truly making me not want to drink. I also truly love her analogies, quotes and stories. I also like that she uses the ā€œdependency on alcoholā€ versus calling people alcoholics. I think society associates such negativity to ā€œalcoholicsā€.

3 Likes

I just saw that shitā€¦bad idea

1 Like
  1. I learned that I am powerless to the drink and once I have a drink Iā€™m powerless to the drug. The mind is a very powerful thing. I like to joke around a lot cause if I donā€™t I find that my mind can go back to the old way thinking. Itā€™s hard sometimes to keep the mind on a positive track but the book has shown me one day at a time and trusting in the support around you get you through those sometimes tougher days or moments.

2 Drink has and was the ice breaker for me to be more socially connected. Also it would numb the low thoughts I had about my self and my own inner demons.

1. What I found about interesting about the book is. How no matter where a person comes from or their back group we all experience the same symptoms or have similar stories. How we are not alone. Even though some days are harder then others there is hope for anyone that has the willingness to get sober or clean. Many may not understand the mind set of a drunk/ addict but a fellow addict/drunk does understand the hardship and signs of struggles that are shared in groups or even forums.

4.5 spread the message and pay it forward

Eff I thought this was on the Big Book ! Lmfao sorry. What book are u reading ? Is it a book of recovery? Iā€™m interested

FYI. Annie Grace, author of ā€œThis Naked Mindā€, is doing a free live webinar this Thursday, 8/9/18.

If u donā€™t want to attend, go ahead and register and sheā€™ll send you a replay. Go to the website for details.

2 Likes

Signed up for the upcoming webinar, and doing her 30 day experiment. I totally share your sentiment. Obviously we know the back story or we wouldnā€™t be following, reading, listening to you. TELL US SOMETHING NEW.

2 Likes

I loved that it exposed and focused on advertising as glamourising , normalising ā€¦and influencing how we think about drinking . I think that stuff is important to know whether you drink or not.

3 Likes