"This Naked Mind" Book Club Discussion

Just heard something from Annie that is useful, " not drinking is subversive, and bad ass." For me that rocks. I have always had a punk mentality, and that fits. So nothing more punk than being straight edge.

3 Likes

Sat through 50 minutes of one of her webinar. Luckily didnā€™t get the sales pitch, but couldā€™ve read it back to her, from just listening to the first 4 podcasts. I am guessing the only way to get anything really useful information for daily life is to read the book and find what tools you can actually apply.

2 Likes

I know I am late to this group, but I searched for it as just wondered what other people thought.

I agree about the decision that you CHOOSE not to drink. This one is key for me. Adjusting to social situations is interesting. It makes me realise how alcohol is everywhere!

3 Likes

Did you read the book, or just do the podcast? Actually reading the words really sinks the message in.

3 Likes

Both. Read the book now listening to the podcast. Thanks! Any other reading I should do?

1 Like

Join this months book club (-:

I would be interested in a review of Annieā€™s new book ā€œThe Alcohol Experimentā€. Honestly just read and devour any and all information that interests you, whether it is psychological, addiction, self help our historical thriller

1 Like

Is it plagiarized too? Lol. Iā€™ve been listening to Allen Carrā€™s book and itā€™s the exact same thing but better written and doesnā€™t suggest you attempt to drink moderatelyā€¦

2 Likes

He is cited often by her.

1 Like

Is anyone interested in picking this topic up again?

2 Likes

Sure, she was my first sobriety read, so I really got a lot of information from it. Other books say similar things, I think it depends which one u pick up first.

Well this is my first book aimed at stopping drinking/reducing alcohol intake, so it has really made an impression on me. Some parts resonate more than others, but overall Iā€™m loving it.
It has made me see just how pervasive alcohol is in our culture. Of course, I knew that before, but I didnā€™t really think about it.
I had some ā€˜wokeā€™ friends as a younger man who referred to alcohol as a drug, which I didnā€™t really take seriously until now.
Iā€™m sure this makes me look a bit stupid, but I feel like I have just woken up, aged 50, and seen the world for the first time.

2 Likes

@Singtone
I think it is very good at illuminating the deception of alcohol and pointing out we use it when we donā€™t even like it. However, I described it to a friend who is struggling and he said. ā€œAll very well, but what if you are drinking to escape life?ā€ā€¦ Fair point. It depends I think where you are with managing life and what the underlying reasons are for drinking/using. In the case of the author it was social/peer pressure or work norms that led her down a path to addiction and the book is most relevant for that.

3 Likes

I am very much into analogies, so the bee in the Picher (Sp?) plant and the frog in the boiling water really chimed with me. I understand that no book is going to be perfect but I generally look for the positives in most things, so I can take the positives and turn a blind eye to the not so great stuff.

2 Likes

Yes, Iā€™m sure it depends very much on your starting point.

1 Like

The pitcher plant analogy really resonated with me too. My relapses were exactly like that, thinking I was ok, it wasnā€™t that bad, and when I realised I wasnā€™t ok, it was bad, I was so far gone it felt unescapable. I liked her critical points (or whatever they were called) where she turns the addict logic on its head. Like you think ā€œI drink to be socialā€ but u hide to drink and lose friends or ā€œI drink for confidenceā€ but ur antics bring u shame and less confidence.

2 Likes

But alcohol helps create a life u want to escape. Sober u can build a life u can bear.

3 Likes

I think like ducks imprinting on the first thing they see, the first sobriety book / program we meet really makes an impression.

2 Likes

I agree. I like all of that. Iā€™ve actually just gone back and read this thread. (Maybe I should have done that before). A few people seem to be unhappy about the shonky science - but that hasnā€™t really troubled me too much so far.
I really liked the part where she bigged up the human body and all of its systems, and then discussed how pouring poison into that messes with it all.

2 Likes

And the idea that ethanol is sold in garages in Brazil. We were basically drinking petrol with sugar in it.

1 Like