"This Naked Mind" Book Club Discussion

On the days I don’t have my kids I got to AA and the gym right after.

I just ordered this book - looking forward to reading it!

1 Like

I still felt it helpful, although I think there is probably a bit of imprinting in my opinion there like @Misokatsu said :duck:

I found it reassuring to read that idea that we don’t have to fit the image we might have of an alcoholic to have a problem. Also just to have it drummed into me that alcohol is a poison that is pushed a lot by an industry that is really only interested in profiting from it.

I did think she puts a bit too much stock in the role of advertising, but given her career I get it. And also found her dismissal of AA a bit unnecessary, having met so many fabulous people here who have benefited from it. Obviously there isn’t one thing that works for everyone and like you say @Piglet we all start from different places.

5 Likes

Same here. Thanks for bringing the topic back up @Singtone. I read through the older posts on this thread and can definitely understand why some people aren’t big fans of the book.

That being said, I absolutely loved it. I got the audiobook because I’m always really busy and I listened to the whole thing in 3 days. I give that book and this forum most of the credit for my sobriety. I think I had about a month of sobriety under my belt when I listened to the book.

I also had absolutely zero experience with sobriety/addiction information before I read it, so most of the info in the book was new to me. I recommend it to everyone who asks and I’ll probably read (listen) to it again soon.

5 Likes

I also felt her attitude to aa reaffirmed that it was not for me. In the end, this book alone did not get me sober, aa has given me my longest period of sobriety. Her later intensive coaching courses also get very expensive, and while I understand it takes a team that needs wages, I think her marketing/selling background got the better of her, but this is not connected to the book.

2 Likes

I agree with everything you have said here. I need a double-like button.

I agree that I have probably imprinted on this book since it is the first ‘quit lit’ that I have ever read. It’s interesting that I am continuing to read it now, but with a much more critical mind. That said, I still think that there is a lot of truth in it, and I still feel that I am getting a lot from it. I certainly don’t feel like drinking when I’m reading it, or anytime soon after.

What books would you recommend, Flo? I am always open to a recommendation. I only started reading This Naked Mind because it was recommended on a podcast that I was listening to. I didn’t know that books like this existed a month ago. I hadn’t looked too hard, to be fair.

2 Likes

I enjoyed Recovery by Russell Brand, it is a modern take on aa. He is quite polarising, check him out on youtube to find out if u find his verbose delivery interesting or annoying. I also liked Drunk, that focuses on woman alcoholics.

Ha. I bought Recovery at the same time that I bought This Naked Mind. Great minds! I also bought an Allen Carr book. Haven’t looked at the other two yet.
Thanks for that, Fleur.