Thought Changing

So I find myself being reminded over and over, “Am I asking the right questions?” How do I change my thoughts based on questions? If The answer I need is 5 apples and the question I ask is “Why am I bad at math?” How will I ever get to 5? But if the question I ask is I have 1 apple how many do I need to get to 6 apples. My thinking changes. I don’t know the right question yet but I know if I keep asking the question “Why do I always think I can control my drinking?” Or “Why can’t I break the addiction?” Then I’ll never get to the right question or the right answer. Today I have sobriety, what do I do to keep it until tomorrow? :thinking::thought_balloon::speech_balloon::bowing_woman: what do I need to question to get to the right answer. Lord help me, show me the right questions to ask.

2 Likes

Acceptance is the answer. Accepting that I am a alcoholic and will never be able to control my drinking is what gets me through. Luckily i haven’t had a thought of well can I moderate it bc I know the damn right answer to that :joy: it’s never worked for me before it won’t change now. God is guiding you, you just have to listen. When you’re feeling tired, take a nap, idk sometimes I don’t always know when to listen to him either. I know he’s been doing a pretty damn good job so far tho

9 Likes

I think you are overthinking this. Don’t get overwhelmed by overthinking the process.
Stay sober today, wake up sober and do it all again tomorrow.
Each day you string together the closer to the answer you will get.
But you definitely want to stay away from questions like

Start asking “what do I need to do to accept where I am so I can move on?”
My answer to you would be to read page 417 in the big book about acceptance.
Actually, I’d say get a copy of the big book, even if you aren’t doing AA steps. A lot of your answers will be in there.
Unless of course you have one.

5 Likes

Snap Mike :facepunch::joy:

1 Like

15876 that was to funny. Right on

1 Like

Mike, Geo , That made me feel attacked. I wake up that early I wasn’t still awake overthinking. I was actually watching church and the last three days the basic concept over everyone has been the same ask better questions and it will change the way I think and I’ll grow more. I wanted to share the idea to get some ideas on what kinda of questions other people ask themselves. Not to be attacked and corrected for trying something that has gotten me very far in life. Asking new questions. I’ve just never applied it to drinking until now. I’ll go to scripture to find out if I’m being deceived though since you are adimate that I am wrong. Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been wrong that’s for sure.

Ok good luck with your journey. I certainly didn’t attack you, but ill accept the way you feel. Have a good day

1 Like

I appreciate your attempt to make amends. You don’t get to decide how your words make me feel. Please be mindful of that when you make comments on my posts in the future.

Ok but I said what works for me. And that was a acceptance. I said that was my answer was acceptance. I said that I Michael lamica accept that I am an alcoholic. I didn’t point any fingers at you, so however you are feeling is on you. Take care

It was specifically the statement that “I don’t always listen to him either” the use of the word either is a passive aggressive way to say that you think I’m not listening to God.

I can see how you’d feel that way. Most of the people in A.A. Are completely insensitive to what you are going through. The organization is entirely shame and fear based. Do it this way or burn. That is a lie. Recovery is not uniform, same as with addiction. Each persons path is there own and if asking different questions gets you to your goal then do it. Don’t let the opinions of others hurt your sobriety. You aren’t doing it for them you are doing it for you.

4 Likes

No it was you interpreting me the wrong way. What I meant was sometimes I am confused when god is guiding me and i don’t know what he is always showing me when I ask the questions. So therefor I said I don’t always know when to listen to him either… But either way, I’ve been on this site for 9 months and not once have I ever attacked or been accused of attacking someone. You ask Q’s expect answer, what you get from that answer is up to you… And at the end of the day, even when I don’t know the answer to what God is showing me. Acceptance, is the answer.

3 Likes

Bro I hardly even do a.a

You hardly do A.A. but refer people to the big book? I’m not religious or spiritual. But you need to read the Bible.

I didn’t refer her to the big book. I do attend some a.a meetings, never believed in a god, never was religious or spiritual. But through my 9 months of sobriety, I’ve learned accepting things, ppl, for what and who they are is a huge part of recovery, I’ve learned having some spiritual growth, is part of recovery. She asked a question I gave her answer. And yes I do refer some ppl to a.a because it’s other sober ppl to talk with, and I haven’t once been shamed or told I have to do it this way or that way. If you want to change in sobriety, you do have to do everything different otherwise the sobriety won’t work. And what does me having to read a Bible being any different then me reffering someone to a.a have to do with it.

2 Likes

Hey chill. I don’t do AA but I have read and am guided by the big book.
It’s whatever works for us

1 Like

@Vessel I apologize if I upset you with what I said but please don’t start attacking Mike.
We both said what has worked for us.
That is what this place is all about

2 Likes

Vessel asked advice we gave it to them.
No need for you both to get your arses in your hands.
You don’t want to listen to advice
Go away

2 Likes

Cdeye Thank you for caring about my sobriety and me as a person. We both know that day three is a very fragile time in recovery and I truly appreciate stood up for me. Thank you.

No one needed standing up for. You asked for advice I gave it you.
I totally understand that the first few days are fragile I was there once but I didn’t think what I said was bad.
Again I apologize if you took it that way.

2 Likes