Thought Changing

How do you think I don’t care about your sobriety. Thats the first thing i care about is helping you. And trying to help keep you sober. I apologise as well, my intentions surely were not to hurt you. But like Geoff said, you asked a question and I answered with what works for me. The biggest thing in early sobriety, is we feel attacked for every little thing. I know I did it as well, just keep fighting and things will get easier. Stick around and hope you have a much better day. Also congrats on three days, three days is hard a huge accomplishment. Things will ease up around that 10 day mark

2 Likes

I was reminded of you Mike. I was going to say something similar. How you were when you first came here. But thought I better not.
One upset person in a day is more than enough for me.
Unfortunately Carrie @Vessel seems to be ignoring me.
And that’s upsetting for me as I don’t like to think that I have upset someone.

2 Likes

Hey feel free. Bc honestly, I kind of forget. Don’t ever be afraid to remind me of something I’m all ears

1 Like

You go pick 5 apples, in terms of sobriety, you don’t drink today. If you don’t drink the first drink, you’ll never get to a second.

Abnormal drinkers always live with the fantasy of controlling their drink, many will pursue that fantasy to jail, a grave or to a mental institution. Like @anon60334405 said, the only answer to that one is acceptance. Accept that you can’t drink, because you’re an abnormal drinker/alcoholic.

I couldn’t break my addiction until I accepted my short comings, until I accepted I couldn’t drink. At all. Because I am an abnormal drinker, because I can’t have 1, because drinking had a hand in every problem I ever created for myself.

You are posting on an open forum, there are going to be different opinions, and varying degrees of “harshness”. However, some of these folks do have some sobriety under their belt and they aren’t in danger of caving to the crave, so maybe they have something worth a grain of salt when it comes to the who, what, where, when and how of being and staying sober.

You are the beginning and end of your sobriety, no one pours booze down your throat, if YOU don’t drink YOU will stay sober.

3 Likes

Could always check out the Allen Carr and Nancy Grace books, they seem to help a lot of people with the breaking of thought in terms of drinking

3 Likes

I do accept that I don’t control alcohol and I have been going to AA. So I have no problem with AA. Beyond that this has just been one attack after another and it’s not what I was asking for. I wasn’t referring to amount of drinks that I could have in reference to apples I was referring to days, for today I have 3 days sober how do I make it to a week? That’s all. If this is the way this app works then I’ll be happy to be removed from it. Because this is a toxic environment and I’m literally a trained professional required to be able to identify abusive behaviors and report them. I might not have much sobriety in this time around but I can spot mentally abuse a mile away. I’m out of this thread that I unfortunately started.

Clearly @anon12657779

No one attacked you!

The one thing I was thankful for during this last relapse was that I saw how my sobriety had turned to pride and arrogance. I hope that doesn’t come back again.

1 Like

I wasn’t talking about how many drinks either, picking 5 apples in terms of sobriety would literally just not be drinking today.

No drinking = sobriety. Plain and simple.

I’ve been sober for almost 3 years now, and I still have a healthy amount of caution, I still log on here daily to try and help others, because today could be the day I drink again. So I do what I can to not forget why I stay sober, and help others in their quest to do the same.

At 3 days, 30 days, 300 days or 3000 days there is only 1 day that matters and that’s today. Don’t worry about a week, don’t drink today enough and eventually it’ll be a week, and then a month, then a year and so on.

Don’t get caught with 1 foot in the past and 1 in the future.

6 Likes

Nothing wrong with being proud of our sobriety and becoming better people.
I am proud of my sobriety!
I worked hard to get from being a drunk 24 hours a day to being sober for two years.
I’m proud of that.

5 Likes

My last statement is literally how will I get through today? And today apparently it’s to wonder what makes you all so angry about me thinking differently from you. My journey isn’t your journey. So if today I get by because you all ganged up on me then :v:that’s one more day under my belt.

You’ll get through the day sober if you don’t drink, that’s all.

Wish you all the best, don’t make it more complicated than it is.

3 Likes

So what are you a captain of? The police force, fire department, in an army?

Captain of a bus, I navigate the streets of Phoenix, and bring the people and bus safely into harbor. :rofl::rofl::man_shrugging:

When I joined I had chosen the username Caustic, because I was a sour person who delighted in sarcasm and being a corrosive agent to anyone really. The picture/icon and name was kind of given to me and at 6 months sober I adopted it fully and had it changed.

3 Likes

Makes sense

1 Like

I wouldn’t say anyone is angry.
Apart from you. Perhaps.
You were the one that asked for advice remember and then got angry at said advice.

3 Likes

I am really into thought changing (tittle of the topic). It is basically my job.
Sometime I don’t like this forum because we don’t hear the voices and intonations of people speaking. We see words and interpret those how we feel about them, not about the intention that we would have got way better in person.
I like to assume people are here because they want to help or be helped. When they don’t, it is clearly written.

That being said, thought changing is in my own opinion a necessary way to become sober and, mostly, to stay sober. Because sobering up is easy, but staying ain’t. I wouldn’t have been able to become sober again if I haven’t change the way I think about alcohol. I had to empty the bottles, empty the house, tell my family, and start understanding why I kept going the same road every time I felt bad. I had to be ok with the thoughts that I want to drink, but to not fall for that thoughts. I had to look for something higher than me to guide me, to whom I can relay on for awhile. And mostly, like it has been said, had to keep saying to myself that it shall pass, and that I only have to focus on today for now, and even just that hour or that moment sometime.

For me the biggest change of thought was that I stoped focusing on « not drinking » and I started to focus on myself. Instead of asking myself how can I stop drinking I asked myself how can I feel better? How can I be better? What do I want in life? And it was such a relief to stop wandering all the time and being afraid that I might not be able to accomplish the goal of « not drinking », because in the end that ain’t the goal… the goal is what is going to come out of this. Myself. My true self, which ain’t be guided by alcohol anymore, but by my values, beliefs and relations.

Also, I red a lot and realized that brain works better with goals in terms of action instead of inaction (like « not » drinking). So I started to focus on what I can do to feel better. Because, we all know that not drinking will make us feel better. But by how are we going to replace the action of drinking? Anyways, those were the kind of questions I asked myself too.

In the hope that this message find you well , I wish like the others said before that you find your way throughout this.

4 Likes

Well, I am not the Lord, but I wanted to at least say welcome to you. It seems like it was a pretty frustrating introduction to the forum and I am sorry for that. At times this can be a place of comfort and support and other times it can feel challenging…not just for you, but for all of us at times I think.

You didn’t ask, but to newcomers I recommend you read a lot of threads, get a feel for the place and see if it might serve you in your journey. I know for myself, I found sustenance in reading a lot…here and also sobriety and recovery books…two I often recommend are Quit Like A Woman by Holly Whitaker and We Are The Luckiest by Laura McKowen, also I found Annie Grace’s This Naked Mind informative in my early sobriety.

And like @WCan says, changing my mind around what alcohol brought to my life…nothing but sadness, regret, self contempt and more. The fantasy of drinking and the reality of drinking …something I really had to learn.

I also ate lot of ice cream in early days :slightly_smiling_face: I know those first days are rough and we feel so raw, that is 100% normal. Being on edge and jumping out of our skin is not fun, but it does get better…a lot better. For me, I found myself again in sobriety and waking up hangover and regret free has become my new normal…it was not an easy road, but it is, I am, you are… so very worth it. :heart:

4 Likes

Thank you WCan