Tips for not drinking

Struggling with “the habit” I got into: after 6 pm wine time until I passed out. Thanks for the support :orange_heart::purple_heart::heart::white_heart::green_heart::blue_heart::yellow_heart:

8 Likes

Stay strong girl; you’ll feel so much better and proud you were able to win this first battle. I know what you’re going through…:wink:

2 Likes

Sometimes I think I was addicted to the ritual of drinking just as much as the drink itself. I like to make a Mocktail and pour it a wine glass (or any fancy glass), maybe have a glass of alcohol free wine (only if this wouldn’t be a trigger for you) Or make tea before bed.

Finding a new habit could be fun :blush:

4 Likes

I understand the struggle. What helps me is to always have something in my cup, either water or tea and to keep myself busy. I just started working out again and that has helped a lot! Stay strong, I believe in you!

3 Likes

The habit is ur wind down time as well amd that helps by the habit of wine … i was a bitch for it . Try maybe some of these different nites
A cold smootie in a tall glass …
A cupa and some chocolate…
A bath and mediation …
6pm walk
Candles and a movie
Set ur self a different out look of 6pm chilling x

5 Likes

A lot of it is the habit. I usually make tea, and now the kids are at school I was busy helping with homework, getting supplies, etc and forgot to make the tea last night. Later I was feeling so antsy and off it, almost like a craving, and realised I had not had my tea!

4 Likes

Walking, exercising, sobriety podcasts, reading on here, meetings, any fellowship with other sober people. Those are the things that helped me before and now… 219 days and going strong. Welcome to the group!

2 Likes

break the chain. A lot of things have to happen before you are in a position to drink. if you can concentrate on the events and not about the craving you’ll stand a chance of change. Right a list of all the things you have to do to get a drink to your mouth and attempt to not do one, it will be lots of little battles to win the war and by the time you’ve got through some the craving might have calmed enough to just sit it out a bit. So for example for me it’s, OK I want a drink, I’m not going to get out of my chair, not get dressed or sort myself out, not put a coat on not put shoes on not take any money if I leaving the house not go in the direction of the shops not go in not buy any not take it home not open it and not drink it… Not one of these things have to happen. 10 minutes not doing each of these and that’s another hour gone and for now time is the the only thing we’re trying to waste.

4 Likes

Check in here! Keep checking in.

Also - audiobooks. Lots of audiobooks. Audible is great.

Also - podcasts!
Recovery Podcasts

www.InsightTimer.com

And virtual meetings:
Online meeting resources

There’s so much good stuff out there :innocent: Keep searching and never give up, never give in :smile:

2 Likes

I’m one week sober today (yay). I have replaced my evening drinks with a ritual of making and enjoying tea. I still struggle with the addiction and it’s been so hard but I find that having something warming and comforting in my hand helps with the restlessness.

5 Likes

Always remember, this will pass. One day at a time. For the hard first month, when it’s 6pm: take it one minute at a time. Journal. Do breathing exercises, walking, yoga. I found it hard to believe that I could get through that happy hour time without wanting a drink, ever, but it does get easier after a few weeks if you keep working on it.

3 Likes