TMI warning: it's that time. Being a girl and sober

11pm is 4 weeks sober.

Today started off good, went to a doc appt, and hit lunch before the next appt… then the migraine hit. Took acetaminophen, it faded, so i went to wally world for my prescriptions and new sun glasses. Then the cramps hit. They didn’t care that i took the acetaminophen. While I waited for the prescriptions I wanted chips and an ice cold fountain soda. Nope. No ice at the fast food place. Back to get the prescriptions. The system glitched and had to be reset. If course. In pain, i wait. Finally, heading home. Trying on the sun glasses, need to adjust the nose things… then pop. One broke.

I literally wanted to cry. And then the thought hit… im gong to pass the c store where i always got my bottles… no one is at home. One son at work till midnight. Husband and other son on vacation to go see a show. It’s 4pm. I could grab a bottle, drink my fill and pass out before my son gets home from work…

TLDR: bad day, cramps, craving, stoped to buy frozen pizza instead.

I passed the c store and pulled into the little grocery store and grabbed a couple boxes of mini frozen pizzas. And i have zero guilt.

I still feel like crying. I’m still in pain. But nearly 28 days in i refuse to go back. Thanks for reading.

32 Likes

Ugh. That was a bad day. Days like that I actually giggle after the fact. Shit like that hits all at once. Tomorrow should be better. Haven’t had a period in years, but remember. Do they have medicine to help with that? My cramps only lasted a day.

7 Likes

That sounds like an awful day - so sorry you had the pile on! Glad you recognized what was going on with you and stayed strong.

If you’re looking for some commiseration on the “joys” of womanhood and how hormones and other symptoms can be triggering, check out this thread:

https://talkingsober.com/t/womens-hormonal-roller-coaster/122389

5 Likes

I have taken cyclobenzaprine (spelling?) for creams before. It’s a muscle relaxer and really works.

Now, with a little distance, i just keep thinking… dust works problems.

It seems to hit all at once. Doesn’t it? I do know, when in pain, everything becomes more annoying, irritating, stressful…

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m so ready to be done being a girl every month. Lol

4 Likes

Sendimg tons of hugs! ODAAT. Proud of you for staying strong.

3 Likes

Thank you. Not gong back!!

3 Likes

I feel with you, that’s rough and miserable. Welcome to the club of women who want to be done with bleeding the hormone rollercoaster’s circus out of their bodies :grin:
Send you a big hug :hugs: Migraine and cramps is :nauseated_face::face_vomiting::exploding_head:
It will be over soon and get better. ODAAT :pray:

1 Like

This resonates with me as I’m going through my first period sober. I don’t have advice for you because it’s also been hard for me, very hard, but I can tell you that you’re not alone :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Thanks. Yep, this was so much easier when i could imbibe

1 Like

Thanks. Yep. My first too… 28 days in, I’m kinda surprised it took this long… we got this.

1 Like

Lol. I hope i can get there fast… or that my body finally decides its done with this shit

1 Like

Awe girl that sounds rough. I felt this post. There are days when NOTHING goes right, NOTHING goes my way, EVERYTHING is pissing me off. It doesnt have to be my time of the month honestly for this to happen lol
You did sooo well managing thru this. Im really proud of you! U won the war today and perservered thru alot of things not going the way they shouldve. Living life on lifes terms can seriously suck some days. Luckily these days dont last forever. They are temporary. Im glad u succeeded today

2 Likes

Thank you. Yeah, I’m going to hang onto that good star for a while. When things seem tough, I’ll look back and go, i got through being laid off and that time of the month without folding… i can conquer the world! Lol

2 Likes

Any day now would be fine. I guess I’m in perimenopause… supposed to be a ramping up before its over… like why? Lol

1 Like

From my brain & books, no personal. Prostaglandins mediate menstrual cramps. Ibuprofen and naproxen are bot anti prostaglandin and assist in decreasing cramps associated with cycles. Always take with food please.

I’ve been struggling with the joys of perimenopause for the last 4 years and guess what: Each time I think “This is the last one” - my body a few wonderfully quiet months later: “Just kidding, here we go again!” :rofl:
Humor helps to handle it :blush:

@WriterJennifer i can still remember my 30 day journey.
Just like you had tough time sleeping, had trouble going to the grocery store since that was were I picked alcohol in the past, ignored all the friends whom I drank with.

Hang in there and journaling here helped.

More importantly what to do with the extra time which was spent in the past drinking.

Thanks. Ibuprofen is definitely a staple at this time.

Wow… you get a few months off? Lo. I’m just happy it’s not every 2 weeks like the last couple of years. :roll_eyes: